Report from Canada - FreeUP

Last response: in Network Providers
September 1, 2004 2:31:05 AM

I have just returned from a two week trip to the Canadian Maritimes
(Prince Edward Is, Nova Scotia and N. Brunswick) with my VZW Free-Up
phone. I'd like to report that I was not able to make any outgoing
calls throughout the period. When I dialed I received a messages
stating: "Your call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the
number...."

I tried this in each province and received the same message. Finally
in NS I called *611 and received a recording indicating that Alliant
(the local phone co and wireless provider) was on strike and to please
used the automated features. I pressed 3 to get a real person and was
put on hold. I did not feel like waiting so I hung up after three
minutes.

The good news is that i was able to receive calls while I was there
and the general signal strength was excellent. I did receive a call
from a friend in the States on Sunday and when i checked the charges
see that it was deduced from the 1,000 hours of free weekend hours I
have managed to accumulate. Other received calls were charged at the
regular $0.30 per minute.

Since I was more concerned about receiving calls that making them,
this was fine.

Anyone know why I could not make outgoing calls?

jeb

PS: There were only two locations in the Maritimes when I could not
receive a signal - at the northernmost reach of the Cabot Trail in
Cape Breton Nat'l Park - and then only for about 10 miles in the steep
mountains. The second place was riding the ferry across the Gulf of
Maine back to Bar Harbor. I had a signal for at least an hour out of
Yarmouth and about 45 minutes before reaching Bar Harbor.

How come the Canadians can provide such great cell reception and
appear to have few if any visible towers?

More about : report canada freeup

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 5:59:36 AM

John Brandt <> wrote in message news:<efcaj01pdt3t63lfrfl00ook5hm5ustmc2@4ax.com>...
> I have just returned from a two week trip to the Canadian Maritimes
> (Prince Edward Is, Nova Scotia and N. Brunswick) with my VZW Free-Up
> phone. I'd like to report that I was not able to make any outgoing
> calls throughout the period. When I dialed I received a messages
> stating: "Your call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the
> number...."
>
> I tried this in each province and received the same message.

What a stumper.
The correct dialing pattern is 11 digits, that's 1 plus area code and
number. Did you include the 1 when dialing?
Generally it's a good idea to contact customer service before leaving
the country and have international roaming "activated" or get whatever
kind of country specific PRL codes which may be needed to roam there.

I've been on US roaming networks, where I had to call and "register,"
by dialing *18 (*350 n A side networks) first or I could not RECEIVE
incomming calls. Could still make calls.

Since people have had so many international roaming problems in the
past with Verizon, and it's such a pain to deal with it while
travelling, it's important to keep a Verizon customer service 800
number, which can be used outside the US and similar calling card for
using a wireline/payphone.

-
David
September 1, 2004 6:26:08 AM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:31:05 -0400, John Brandt <> wrote:

>Since I was more concerned about receiving calls that making them,
>this was fine.
>
>Anyone know why I could not make outgoing calls?

I had the same problem driving through New Brunswick, when I only had
a VZW prepay phone. Great signal, no problem getting incoming calls,
but no authorization for outgoing calls. I never had that problem
elsewhere in Canada.

I E-Mailed Aliant when I got back home. They seemed curious about it,
but weren't entirely sure what FreeUP was or why it was having
problems. I replied, and never heard anything again.

Mike
September 1, 2004 10:34:32 AM

On 1 Sep 2004 01:59:36 -0700, davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) scribbled:

>John Brandt <> wrote in message news:<efcaj01pdt3t63lfrfl00ook5hm5ustmc2@4ax.com>...
>> I have just returned from a two week trip to the Canadian Maritimes
>> (Prince Edward Is, Nova Scotia and N. Brunswick) with my VZW Free-Up
>> phone. I'd like to report that I was not able to make any outgoing
>> calls throughout the period. When I dialed I received a messages
>> stating: "Your call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the
>> number...."
>>
>> I tried this in each province and received the same message.
>
>What a stumper.
>The correct dialing pattern is 11 digits, that's 1 plus area code and
>number. Did you include the 1 when dialing?
>Generally it's a good idea to contact customer service before leaving
>the country and have international roaming "activated" or get whatever
>kind of country specific PRL codes which may be needed to roam there.

I am typing this from my house on Cape Breton NS. When I first came to
CB with my phone years ago, I couldn't make outgoing calls either. I had
to call MMT (now Aliant Telephone) and they "put my number in their
computer". I was immediately able to make any calls I wanted.

Keep in mind that most 800 numbers (888, 877 800, etc) won't work here
as they are usually US only unless a specified US/Canada allowed free
call. I cannot use the 800 number for my prescription service as it is
US only. I get the recording mentioned earlier in the thread.

Aliant is on strike, and their service is sloooooooooooooow, but they
are wonderful people to work with and will make your phone work for you
here if you are having problems. It just takes longer....

Also keep in mind that much of the cel service in outlying areas here is
still analog. I am analog at my house, yet 10 miles away it swaps back
to digital. Due to the economy here in Maritime Canada, change to
digital is also sloooooow.

Mark
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 1:54:12 PM

In article <dfqaj0llrs1b4v5rst12j3n1aspi9g55vj@4ax.com>,
Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:31:05 -0400, John Brandt <> wrote:
>
> >Since I was more concerned about receiving calls that making them,
> >this was fine.
> >
> >Anyone know why I could not make outgoing calls?
>
> I had the same problem driving through New Brunswick, when I only had
> a VZW prepay phone. Great signal, no problem getting incoming calls,
> but no authorization for outgoing calls. I never had that problem
> elsewhere in Canada.
>
> I E-Mailed Aliant when I got back home. They seemed curious about it,
> but weren't entirely sure what FreeUP was or why it was having
> problems. I replied, and never heard anything again.

Last summer I had similar problems in Nova Scotia, with a regular
Verizon phone (not FREEUP). Turned out I had programmed numbers into the
phone without the prepended 1. This doesn't cause any problems in the
US, but in Canada I needed the 1. Once that occurred to me, I had no
problems.

--
AF
September 2, 2004 2:45:16 AM

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:54:12 -0400, Alice Faber <afaber@panix.com>
wrote:

>Last summer I had similar problems in Nova Scotia, with a regular
>Verizon phone (not FREEUP). Turned out I had programmed numbers into the
>phone without the prepended 1. This doesn't cause any problems in the
>US, but in Canada I needed the 1. Once that occurred to me, I had no
>problems.

Hmmm. I don't know if I tried the 1 first or not, but I don't recall
having to make any changes when I was in Ontario or Quebec.

If I'm up there again, I'll have to give it a try...

Mike
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 2:50:13 AM

Thanks, everyone for the responses.

I think I did try the "1" before the number - just like I have to do
with landline here at home. That also did not work.

I knew about the Alliant strike. We talked with picketers in Halifax
and they told us their version.

In any case, it was not critical and not a big deal.

Thanks again

jeb
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 6:44:10 AM

Mark Tetrault <mdtetrault@highstream.net> wrote in message news:<oh5bj056106ocatmordk126e97vggi6qef@4ax.com>...
> On 1 Sep 2004 01:59:36 -0700, davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) scribbled:
>
> >John Brandt <> wrote in message news:<efcaj01pdt3t63lfrfl00ook5hm5ustmc2@4ax.com>...
> >> I have just returned from a two week trip to the Canadian Maritimes
> >> (Prince Edward Is, Nova Scotia and N. Brunswick) with my VZW Free-Up
> >> phone. I'd like to report that I was not able to make any outgoing
> >> calls throughout the period. When I dialed I received a messages
> >> stating: "Your call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the
> >> number...."
> >>
> >> I tried this in each province and received the same message.
> >
> >What a stumper.
> >The correct dialing pattern is 11 digits, that's 1 plus area code and
> >number. Did you include the 1 when dialing?
> >Generally it's a good idea to contact customer service before leaving
> >the country and have international roaming "activated" or get whatever
> >kind of country specific PRL codes which may be needed to roam there.
>
> I am typing this from my house on Cape Breton NS. When I first came to
> CB with my phone years ago, I couldn't make outgoing calls either. I had
> to call MMT (now Aliant Telephone) and they "put my number in their
> computer". I was immediately able to make any calls I wanted.
>
> Keep in mind that most 800 numbers (888, 877 800, etc) won't work here
> as they are usually US only unless a specified US/Canada allowed free
> call. I cannot use the 800 number for my prescription service as it is
> US only. I get the recording mentioned earlier in the thread.
>

> Mark

Mark,
There are some tricks to using blocked US 800 numbers, including "Call
Back" services and 3 way calling, although I don't have any experience
and there is some hassle and costs setting up.

1-800-555-1212 is a FREE 800 number lookup service, but it won't get
around blocked numbers.

Since Verizon Wireless is a major Telco/Cellco provider, they would
leave these important 800 numbers unblocked. Customer support for
roamers, who's cellular handsets are having problems is a critical
service.

If you roam, while visiting our nieghbors, it's a good idea to keep
the CS numbers handy in the cellular address book and written as a
hard copy too!
One possiblity... those toll free numbers could be blocked from
payphones.

Can anyone out of the country, test them from a
wireline/payphone/cellphone?
Do Free-up and regular VZW post paid subscribers have the same level
of international support?

[From VZW, "North America's Choice Calling Plans" brochure. 2004]

Customer Service from within Canada
1-800-922-0204.

To set up Mexico Roaming.
1-888-466-4646

VZW Cusomer Service while CALLING WITHIN MEXICO.
001-800-922-0204

As a side question, I wonder if Infone provides customer support in
Canada and Mexico? Tellme?
-
David
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 9:44:49 PM

| Mark,
| There are some tricks to using blocked US 800 numbers, including "Call
| Back" services and 3 way calling, although I don't have any experience
| and there is some hassle and costs setting up.
|
| 1-800-555-1212 is a FREE 800 number lookup service, but it won't get
| around blocked numbers.

On VZN wireless 800-555-1211 is NOT a free call. You still get billed for
the information service.

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 2:20:44 AM

David S wrote:

> Why??? VZW is not providing the information service, so it should only be
> regular airtime for whatever bucket is appropriate for the time when you
> call.

I've never gotten a satisfactory answer from them about that. They also used to
charge Directory Assistance fees for calls to AT&T/TellMe's 1-800-555-Tell, a
call which costs them nothing more than interconnect fees to complete; it's not
like they incur long-distance costs on calls to a tollfree number. They
eventually dropped the DA charge for that number and now they only charge for
airtime (the way it should be).

September 7, 2004 5:33:32 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> David S wrote:
>
>> Why??? VZW is not providing the information service, so it should
>> only be regular airtime for whatever bucket is appropriate for the
>> time when you call.
>
> I've never gotten a satisfactory answer from them about that. They
> also used to charge Directory Assistance fees for calls to
> AT&T/TellMe's 1-800-555-Tell, a call which costs them nothing more
> than interconnect fees to complete; it's not like they incur
> long-distance costs on calls to a tollfree number. They eventually
> dropped the DA charge for that number and now they only charge for
> airtime (the way it should be).

Do you or anyone else have the regular number to this service? I use to use
another number to call in on cause Sprint would sometimes charge extra for
this also. It was a long distance number but that didn't matter cause of the
free long distance on my account.
September 7, 2004 7:49:23 PM

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:33:32 GMT, "Rod" <cellular-dude@sprintpcs.com>
wrote:

>Steve Sobol wrote:
>> David S wrote:
>>
>>> Why??? VZW is not providing the information service, so it should
>>> only be regular airtime for whatever bucket is appropriate for the
>>> time when you call.
>>
>> I've never gotten a satisfactory answer from them about that. They
>> also used to charge Directory Assistance fees for calls to
>> AT&T/TellMe's 1-800-555-Tell, a call which costs them nothing more
>> than interconnect fees to complete; it's not like they incur
>> long-distance costs on calls to a tollfree number. They eventually
>> dropped the DA charge for that number and now they only charge for
>> airtime (the way it should be).
>
>Do you or anyone else have the regular number to this service? I use to use
>another number to call in on cause Sprint would sometimes charge extra for
>this also. It was a long distance number but that didn't matter cause of the
>free long distance on my account.

Well, if you have free long distance you could use the regular
1-800-555-8355 number (assuming Verizon doesn't do the dirty trick
they've done before to charge when calling that number.)

The non-toll-free number is +1 408 678 0035.

September 10, 2004 10:02:51 AM

Local number for tell me is 408 678 0035. I use it instead of the 800
number b/c i have free long distance anyway, verizon used to charge
extra for the 800 (so they could eat my LD bill now), and the 800
number seems to have some sort of time limit (the local number does
not)

-Tom

!