Power connectors

acutshall

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2005
I just bought a antec 550 truepower 2.0 and have a ASUS P4C800-E MB 478 875P, I know it what the 20 pn connector is for however I am confused about the 4pin atx 12v connector. What is the 4 pin for and am I supposed to hook both the 20 pin and 4pin up a the same time(I am guessing by the location one powers the cPU and the other the reat of the components) Hoe does the dual 12v benefit my MB, I can not continue assembly until I know , please help.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Some motherboards have 24 pins, in those mobos you plug in both connectors.

<font color=blue>If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will go wrong first will be the one that will do the most possible damage</font color=blue>

RichPLS

Champion
RTFM!
your manual for the mobo should explain what needs to be hooked up where.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

acutshall

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2005
Mine is a 20 Pin and the power supply is a 24/20 connector which I detached however the is a 4 in connector on the MB and PSU , The Manual says that the 4pin 4 PIn ATX +12V needs to power the CPU, I,ve just never heard of having to use both and do not want to fry everything.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, I hope you got a good price on that board, because it's not worth much from what I've seen. You should read the review at Sysopt.

Anyway, yes your power supply should have a 4-pin yellow and black wire connector, that's for feeding power to the CPU. The main 20-pin connector takes care of everything else.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>