Need opinions on the Treo 600

I am seriously considering changing to the Treo 600. I know the pluses and
minuses of the Treo and the Palm Operating System. What I really want to
know has anyone had any major problems, i.e. voice quality, voice reception,
battery life, email pushed to the user, battery life, etc. Any other
features not working, etc.

I would appreciate any knowledgeable input.

Thanks

Bruce D. Brown
10 answers Last reply
More about need opinions treo

    "Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I am seriously considering changing to the Treo 600. I know the pluses
    and
    > minuses of the Treo and the Palm Operating System. What I really want to
    > know has anyone had any major problems, i.e. voice quality, voice
    reception,
    > battery life, email pushed to the user, battery life, etc. Any other
    > features not working, etc.
    >
    > I would appreciate any knowledgeable input.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bruce D. Brown

    Compared to the GSM version (TMobile), the Verizon battery life is shorter.
    Also, Cingular and TMobile OS are the same (for the most part) and are
    stable. Verizon OS tends to freeze more (esp when using Eudora). I also
    found the Verizon phone (mine has camera) is heavier than the GSM version.
    Voice quality is so so (and no analog), and definitely inferior to Kyocera
    7135. Reception is about the same as Kyocera 7135.

    I have a Verizon T6 and am astonished at the long battery life. I have a
    3000 minute plan and use most of them each month. In addition, I use it
    heavily for the Calendar and email (Snapper) and NEVER have run out of
    battery in a day. I find the weight and dimensions to be perfectly
    acceptable. I travel all over the US and find the reception to be as good as
    any other phone I've had and the voice quality (incoming and outgoing) is
    excellent. Everyone I know that had a 7135 has dumped them for the Treo and
    raves about them. In the last two and a half years of digital only phones, I
    have never been out of service except in certain indoor locations. There are
    also a bazillion great third-party apps that make the Treo even more of a
    stand-out. I dumped a Samsung i600 for my Treo and have never looked back.

    "BadgerBC" <neilrichardson3819@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> I am seriously considering changing to the Treo 600. I know the pluses
    > and
    >> minuses of the Treo and the Palm Operating System. What I really want to
    >> know has anyone had any major problems, i.e. voice quality, voice
    > reception,
    >> battery life, email pushed to the user, battery life, etc. Any other
    >> features not working, etc.
    >>
    >> I would appreciate any knowledgeable input.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Bruce D. Brown
    >>

    > Compared to the GSM version (TMobile), the Verizon battery life is
    > shorter.
    > Also, Cingular and TMobile OS are the same (for the most part) and are
    > stable. Verizon OS tends to freeze more (esp when using Eudora). I also
    > found the Verizon phone (mine has camera) is heavier than the GSM version.
    > Voice quality is so so (and no analog), and definitely inferior to Kyocera
    > 7135. Reception is about the same as Kyocera 7135.

    I answered my own question. This afternoon, I went out and bought a Treo
    600. This evening, I went back to the store and returned the Treo. The
    concept of the Treo is great but... My hands are not extremely large but
    the buttons are way too small to use accurately. There is no voice dial
    built into the Treo. You have to use the built-in contact software to dial
    a number in your address book. I do not like the built-in software and
    prefer to use Supernames which does not allow dialing out using the program.
    The voice quality was OK but the speaker phone quality was below par. I
    think I had the phone for about 4 hours minus an hour (took my wife out to
    dinner) before I returned it. I am now thinking of getting the Blackberry.

    Any opinions.

    Thanks again,

    Bruce D. Brown
    "Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I am seriously considering changing to the Treo 600. I know the pluses and
    >minuses of the Treo and the Palm Operating System. What I really want to
    >know has anyone had any major problems, i.e. voice quality, voice
    >reception, battery life, email pushed to the user, battery life, etc. Any
    >other features not working, etc.
    >
    > I would appreciate any knowledgeable input.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bruce D. Brown

    its good

    "Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I am seriously considering changing to the Treo 600. I know the pluses
    and
    > minuses of the Treo and the Palm Operating System. What I really want to
    > know has anyone had any major problems, i.e. voice quality, voice
    reception,
    > battery life, email pushed to the user, battery life, etc. Any other
    > features not working, etc.
    >
    > I would appreciate any knowledgeable input.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bruce D. Brown

    I haven't had any major problems with my Treo 600 (GSM version). The
    only problem that I had encountered was to update the firmware (which
    you won't have being with Verizon). The voice quality from the
    handsfree cable is good. My only "problem" now is that because I
    purchased the Treo 600 case (the one that is manufactured by PalmOne),
    it is very difficult to hear someone talking when I don't use the
    handsfree cable but since I almost always use the cable, it isn't
    really an issue.

    The battery life is good. I can listen to MP3's for almost the entire
    day (about 4 hours) while the phone portion of the Treo 600 is in
    "Standby" and I still have enough battery power before it goes
    completely dead (during the average day, I speak on the Treo 600 phone
    for under 30 minutes). I charge my Treo 600 every night because I tax
    the battery heavily (listening to MP3s, surfing the web, and listening
    to streaming audio) and I've never managed to completely drain my Treo
    600 with my type of usage. Of course, I'm sure that I could drain it
    completely by leaving the MP3 player running continuously.

    The camera is adequate and is similar to the type of quality that you
    get from most camera phones. Chances are that it will not replace your
    digital camera but will complement it (if you use the Treo 600 to take
    pictures).

    I can't speak about the voice quality and voice reception for
    Verizon's network since I've never tried them (I'm in Canada) but the
    GSM version of the Treo 600 works very well.

    /Jim

    <SXRY@klink.bet> wrote in message news:<EgDZc.42106$Es2.18425097@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
    > its good
    >

    > "Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > I am seriously considering changing to the Treo 600. I know the pluses
    > and
    > > minuses of the Treo and the Palm Operating System. What I really want to
    > > know has anyone had any major problems, i.e. voice quality, voice
    > reception,
    > > battery life, email pushed to the user, battery life, etc. Any other
    > > features not working, etc.
    > >
    > > I would appreciate any knowledgeable input.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Bruce D. Brown

    On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:17:56 -0400, BadgerBC wrote
    (in article <U7qZc.14208$6G5.12391@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>):

    > Compared to the GSM version (TMobile), the Verizon battery life is shorter.

    Isn't that true for most CDMA phones vs. their GSM counterparts?

    Bruce D. Brown <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote:
    > My hands are not extremely large but the buttons are way too small to use
    > accurately.

    And you couldn't instantly tell that in the store before you
    bought it?

    > There is no voice dial built into the Treo. You have to use the built-in
    > contact software to dial a number in your address book.

    And you couldn't tell that from reading the specs before ever
    even going into a store?

    > I do not like the built-in software and prefer to use Supernames which does
    > not allow dialing out using the program.

    This is the fault of Supernames whose specification you could
    have read before going to the store.

    > I am now thinking of getting the Blackberry.

    Try reading the specs first.

    - Paul

    Wow, You are right!!!!! I was wrong!!!!I should have read the specs first
    but in the excitement of getting a new toy I foolishly went out and listened
    to the Verizon salesman. I figured that I could get used to the tiny
    buttons, but I was wrong. Secondly, I have not had a phone without voice
    dial in years, but I guess wrong, the Treo does not offer this feature. And
    finally, supernames is a great program that offers all of the information
    that I have in Act and is one program that I insist upon.

    I guess I will just have to wait (and it might be a very long wait) unil
    they offer something better than the Treo 600.

    Bruce D. Brown

    "Paul J. Lucas" <pauljlucas@mac.com> wrote in message
    > Bruce D. Brown <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote:
    >> My hands are not extremely large but the buttons are way too small to use
    >> accurately.
    >
    > And you couldn't instantly tell that in the store before you
    > bought it?
    >
    >> There is no voice dial built into the Treo. You have to use the built-in
    >> contact software to dial a number in your address book.
    >
    > And you couldn't tell that from reading the specs before ever
    > even going into a store?
    >
    >> I do not like the built-in software and prefer to use Supernames which
    >> does
    >> not allow dialing out using the program.
    >
    > This is the fault of Supernames whose specification you could
    > have read before going to the store.
    >
    >> I am now thinking of getting the Blackberry.
    >
    > Try reading the specs first.
    >
    > - Paul

    I have had a Treo 600 with Verizon for 7 days and feel I am getting
    subpar battery life. In the past several days I have run out of
    battery nearly every day forcing me to charge up at every opportunity.
    Today, in the course of 1 hour, I talked for 46 minutes and consumed
    25% of my battery. I am a 3000 minute/month user that just upgraded
    from a Samsung A310 with the large battery pack where I exerienced
    much better battery life. Based on the last post, I am wondering if I
    have a lemon and should return for another T600. Thoughts?

    "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote in message news:<dbedncReQesV-avcRVn-rw@comcast.com>...
    > I have a Verizon T6 and am astonished at the long battery life. I have a
    > 3000 minute plan and use most of them each month. In addition, I use it
    > heavily for the Calendar and email (Snapper) and NEVER have run out of
    > battery in a day. I find the weight and dimensions to be perfectly
    > acceptable. I travel all over the US and find the reception to be as good as
    > any other phone I've had and the voice quality (incoming and outgoing) is
    > excellent. Everyone I know that had a 7135 has dumped them for the Treo and
    > raves about them. In the last two and a half years of digital only phones, I
    > have never been out of service except in certain indoor locations. There are
    > also a bazillion great third-party apps that make the Treo even more of a
    > stand-out. I dumped a Samsung i600 for my Treo and have never looked back.
    >

    > "BadgerBC" <neilrichardson3819@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > >> I am seriously considering changing to the Treo 600. I know the pluses
    > and
    > >> minuses of the Treo and the Palm Operating System. What I really want to
    > >> know has anyone had any major problems, i.e. voice quality, voice
    > reception,
    > >> battery life, email pushed to the user, battery life, etc. Any other
    > >> features not working, etc.
    > >>
    > >> I would appreciate any knowledgeable input.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>
    > >> Bruce D. Brown
    > >>

    > > Compared to the GSM version (TMobile), the Verizon battery life is
    > > shorter.
    > > Also, Cingular and TMobile OS are the same (for the most part) and are
    > > stable. Verizon OS tends to freeze more (esp when using Eudora). I also
    > > found the Verizon phone (mine has camera) is heavier than the GSM version.
    > > Voice quality is so so (and no analog), and definitely inferior to Kyocera
    > > 7135. Reception is about the same as Kyocera 7135.

    Could be a lemon. I get a lot more out of mine and it has never been below
    35% at the end of the day.

    "PB" <psbechta@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have had a Treo 600 with Verizon for 7 days and feel I am getting
    > subpar battery life. In the past several days I have run out of
    > battery nearly every day forcing me to charge up at every opportunity.
    > Today, in the course of 1 hour, I talked for 46 minutes and consumed
    > 25% of my battery. I am a 3000 minute/month user that just upgraded
    > from a Samsung A310 with the large battery pack where I exerienced
    > much better battery life. Based on the last post, I am wondering if I
    > have a lemon and should return for another T600. Thoughts?
    >
    > "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote in message
    >> I have a Verizon T6 and am astonished at the long battery life. I have a
    >> 3000 minute plan and use most of them each month. In addition, I use it
    >> heavily for the Calendar and email (Snapper) and NEVER have run out of
    >> battery in a day. I find the weight and dimensions to be perfectly
    >> acceptable. I travel all over the US and find the reception to be as good
    >> as
    >> any other phone I've had and the voice quality (incoming and outgoing) is
    >> excellent. Everyone I know that had a 7135 has dumped them for the Treo
    >> and
    >> raves about them. In the last two and a half years of digital only
    >> phones, I
    >> have never been out of service except in certain indoor locations. There
    >> are
    >> also a bazillion great third-party apps that make the Treo even more of a
    >> stand-out. I dumped a Samsung i600 for my Treo and have never looked
    >> back.
    >>

    >> "BadgerBC" <neilrichardson3819@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> and
    >> reception,

    >> > Compared to the GSM version (TMobile), the Verizon battery life is
    >> > shorter.
    >> > Also, Cingular and TMobile OS are the same (for the most part) and are
    >> > stable. Verizon OS tends to freeze more (esp when using Eudora). I
    >> > also
    >> > found the Verizon phone (mine has camera) is heavier than the GSM
    >> > version.
    >> > Voice quality is so so (and no analog), and definitely inferior to
    >> > Kyocera
    >> > 7135. Reception is about the same as Kyocera 7135.

Verizon Battery Treo Internet Service Providers