Out of video memory GTA4

alffie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hi i have a core i7, 6gb ram ddr3 and a gtx 275 and i recently got gta 4 and about 20 or 30 minutes i started playing an error pops up saying i tun out of video memory, i am playing with settings almost maxed... not maxed at all. My version of gtx 275 is the one with 896 mb. I run the game but taking care that the indicator in the video options is green and not orange or even red. What could be happening?

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Morgan is right, GTA 4 is all about CPU Power and utilising GPU memory. If you keep getting this issue, try playing with the settings which gives you the same amount of memory (stay in high green) but change say...distance for # of traffic or vice versa.

If all fails, try re/installing the latest Nvidia drivers + game patches OR lower your settings.

Good luck.

Alex

isamuelson

Distinguished
Lower draw distance. Set it around 30 to 35. That is more than enough to see far away.

If that doesn't help, start reducing texture details, etc. The higher you have texture details set, the more memory it's going to eat up.

JamieC1991

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
I see you guys need help....

Steps:
--------
1) Open Steam
2)Right click GTA4 in the game list
3)Open Properties
4)Click on "Set Launch Options"
5)Enter the following without the double quotes "-availablevidmem 6"

Note: i use 6 because i have 12GB of vid memory, you can change this to anything you want, it represents the amount of Video Memory you have in Gibs so -availablevidmem 6 means i have 6 giga bytes of video memory remaining.

Also ever want to run the game in a window follow the steps above and add "-windowed" in the launch options. If you have multiple options it should look like this.

-windowed -availablevidmem 6

Wanna follow me, go to www.twitter.com/JamieC1991

Cheers.