Sign in with
Your question

Dragon Age Crashing

Last response: in Video Games
September 14, 2010 10:34:39 PM

Hi,

I've been playing Dragon Age for about a week and this problem of crashing started a few days ago. The game itself crashes at random times and closes itself and brings me back to the desktop. Everything else works, my computer isn't frozen or requires a hard reset. But it does leave this annoying looping sound that can only be remedied with a restart. I've check temperatures for my CPU and GPU and they run fine. Ran and memory test and it passed. Did a clean install of ATI 10.8 and Nvidia PhysX drivers. I really don't know whats wrong. Does anyone have a clue? All my other games run fine without ever crashing( GTA IV, ME2, Just Cause 2, and etc.)

Any help in appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here are my specs:

CPU: PII X4 955
GPU ATI 5850
Sound: Asus Ds Xonar
PSU: 600W OCZ
Windows 7 64bit

More about : dragon age crashing

September 15, 2010 1:29:41 AM

from what i've read,
Dragon Age doesn't play nice when an ATI card is paired w/ an Nvidia Phsyx card.
That could be your problem.

I would try turning Physx off in game (if its an option i can't remember, played it when the game first came out)
m
l
September 15, 2010 2:03:28 AM

That's what I thought was weird. When I used Drive Sweeper to get rid of all my ATI video drivers and Nvidia Physx and then re-installed only the ATI Drivers , the game wouldn't work if I didn't install the Nvidia PhysX drivers back. I even tried lowering my graphics detail and etc.
m
l
Related resources
September 15, 2010 4:18:54 AM

changing graphics detail won't affect Physx at all.
Thats a separate thing.
What happens when you uninstall the Nvidia card completely?
m
l
September 15, 2010 4:47:43 AM

The game encounters an error, where it requires Nvidia PhysX drivers.
m
l
September 15, 2010 4:53:27 AM

interesting
it must scan and find your Physx card...
the only thing i can think of to do, is unplug that extra card when you want to play games.
i got nothing else
m
l
September 15, 2010 6:00:04 AM

Ummm...sorry, must've been a misleading post, but I don't have a Nvidia PhysX card...but I have the drivers.
m
l
September 15, 2010 1:41:44 PM

The latest patch made Dragon Age a LOT less stable; it will crash from time to time, and theres no known fix. I've gone through 8 hour session just fine, and I've had it crash twice in under an hour. Near as I can tell, its mostly random...

DA requires the PhysX binaries be installed because it USED to use PhysX, but I don't think that made it into the release itself...
m
l
September 15, 2010 4:39:34 PM

Usually within an hour of gameplay, it would crash. But what I noticed is that it would crash during the heat of battle or encountering an enemy. After searching around, I assumed it would either be a sound or graphics problem. So I decided to update my sound card drivers, but also I lowered my graphical and texture settings. During those battles, it would lag a bit...but not crash. So I'm assuming its a graphical problem.......thought this game was endorsed by ATI lol.
m
l
September 16, 2010 12:04:03 PM

^^ I've noticed it happens when activating an ability in battle that has some form of graphical effect; probably a bad pointer if I had to guess...usually right at the start of a battle too...
m
l
!