ajacques12

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2005
So, my cpu fried last week. And isntead of just getting another socket 478 cpu, I decided it was about time to upgrade the whole machine.

I went to newegg.com and purchased an ASUS P5AD2-E Deluxe 925XE motherboard and an intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 EM64T Processor.

So, I uninstall my old components, seat the cpu and heatsink, reconnect all the wires and boot it up. First thing i notice is that it runs an IDE scan and does not detect my DVC-ROM. It DOES detect my CD-RW drive and HDD's, but in bios the CD-RW does not show up in IDE devices. I have my windows XP pro install disc in the drive and attempt to boot from CD. I get a message saying no bootable media detected, please insert one and press any key to continue.

Right now, I have the master HDD plugged into the PRI_IDE controller. The CD-RW drive is plugged into the PRI_RAID controller....which on this motherboard, defaults to IDE mode to be used as SEC_IDE. I checked my BIOS just to make sure that it's in IDE mode. Seems alright.

The CD-RW drive is getting power and spins up when I put a disc in it as well.

Basically what I ended up doing was putting the CD-RW on the PRI_IDE with the master HDD and then I was able to boot from CD and do a repair install of winxp pro.

After this is all done, I boot into windows no problems, but now im having problems with the onboard ethernet port. It gets a link light in the back...one constant orange, the other is a yellow light that blinks periodically. But I still cannot get out to the internet and my settings are set to "automatically detect", it's only going through a basic router.

Anyway, after this, I go back into my case and put the 2nd HDD back as slave on the PRI_IDE and the CD-RW and DVD-ROM back on the SEC_IDE/PRI_RAID. Boot to windows.....no optical drives showing up under my computer or device manager.

I'm trying to figure out why the hell the board will not detect my optical drives. And why the onboard lan doesnt work.

I realize that I might have to format and do a fresh install of Winxp to get the onboard lan to work, but Im stumped as to why the board will not detect my optical drives, or anything on the SEC_IDE/PRI_RAID controller. Am I missing a jumper setting or something?

Someone please help me out!

Thanks in advance.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I think that on the RAID controller you can only install HDs, at least that's what my old mobo's manual said.

<font color=blue>If everything seems to be going well, you obviously don't know what the hell is going on</font color=blue>

ajacques12

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2005
The manual says that the RAID controller defaults to "IDE MODE" so that it can be used as a secondary IDE controller, and states that optical drives can be connected to it.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
My mobo also defaulted to IDE mode but you could only attach HDs to it. Mine was an older mobo though, and it was for AMD.

<font color=blue>If everything seems to be going well, you obviously don't know what the hell is going on</font color=blue>