Doom3 won't load

Last response: in Video Games
December 27, 2004 7:05:18 PM

Have installed/uninstalled a dozen times. Installed game on a PC running
Windows XP, AMD Athlon XP 3200 with 512 mb DDR sd ram and an ATI Radeon 9800
pro card. The game will autorun, clicking new game the game load progress
bar loads to completion, then switches back to the desktop.Am using the
default display settings, have also tried using a patch from the Doom3
website, no luck. Am getting ready to call activision, hoping I can get some
new ideas here, tired of trying to get this thing running for the kid,
should probably have him do all the work. TIA.

John Cairns

More about : doom3 load

December 28, 2004 10:35:33 PM

Not this game per-se, but Ive had the similar with other games. I get rid
of the problem usually with the video card drivers. To be more precise, I
usually uninstall the video card via the system properties and reboot.
WinXp sees the same video card and reloads it on the reboot. Not the most
scientific approach, but it has worked. That is usually after fiddeling
with a lot of the resolutions of the monitor and game and getting
frustrated. Sometimes its a reloading of the game afterwards as well. Pain
in the A**....yes, but it seems to help sometimes.

At least your not getting the games error codes upon startup. Thats more of
a bummer.

just an idea,
SL
"John Cairns" <jgcairnsnospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Have installed/uninstalled a dozen times. Installed game on a PC running
> Windows XP, AMD Athlon XP 3200 with 512 mb DDR sd ram and an ATI Radeon
> 9800 pro card. The game will autorun, clicking new game the game load
> progress bar loads to completion, then switches back to the desktop.Am
> using the default display settings, have also tried using a patch from the
> Doom3 website, no luck. Am getting ready to call activision, hoping I can
> get some new ideas here, tired of trying to get this thing running for the
> kid, should probably have him do all the work. TIA.
>
> John Cairns

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 11:03:38 PM

John Cairns wasted my time on 12/27/2004 11:05 AM with the following:

Once again, try the Omega Drivers: http://www.omegadrivers.net

--
Noob - "do you hack?"
Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"

"SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Not this game per-se, but Ive had the similar with other games. I get rid
> of the problem usually with the video card drivers. To be more precise, I
> usually uninstall the video card via the system properties and reboot.
> WinXp sees the same video card and reloads it on the reboot. Not the most
> scientific approach, but it has worked. That is usually after fiddeling
> with a lot of the resolutions of the monitor and game and getting
> frustrated. Sometimes its a reloading of the game afterwards as well.
> Pain in the A**....yes, but it seems to help sometimes.
>
> At least your not getting the games error codes upon startup. Thats more
> of a bummer.
>
> just an idea,
> SL

Activision steered me to the upgraded drivers at ATI's website.

http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

I had tried using the new drivers, but didn't use the utility to completely
remove the old drivers.

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.h...

D3 is pretty impressive.

John Cairns

> "John Cairns" <jgcairnsnospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Have installed/uninstalled a dozen times. Installed game on a PC running
>> Windows XP, AMD Athlon XP 3200 with 512 mb DDR sd ram and an ATI Radeon
>> 9800 pro card. The game will autorun, clicking new game the game load
>> progress bar loads to completion, then switches back to the desktop.Am
>> using the default display settings, have also tried using a patch from
>> the Doom3 website, no luck. Am getting ready to call activision, hoping I
>> can get some new ideas here, tired of trying to get this thing running
>> for the kid, should probably have him do all the work. TIA.
>>
>> John Cairns

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 7:18:57 AM

"SnoopJeDi" <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> John Cairns wasted my time on 12/27/2004 11:05 AM with the following:
>> Have installed/uninstalled a dozen times. Installed game on a PC running
>> Windows XP, AMD Athlon XP 3200 with 512 mb DDR sd ram and an ATI Radeon
>> 9800 pro card. The game will autorun, clicking new game the game load
>> progress bar loads to completion, then switches back to the desktop.Am
>> using the default display settings, have also tried using a patch from
>> the Doom3 website, no luck. Am getting ready to call activision, hoping I
>> can get some new ideas here, tired of trying to get this thing running
>> for the kid, should probably have him do all the work. TIA.
>>
>> John Cairns
>>

> Once again, try the Omega Drivers: http://www.omegadrivers.net
>
> --
> Noob - "do you hack?"
> Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"
> Noob - "do you have digital cable?"
> Justin - "i have *ALL* the cables!"

Not for nothing but I wouldn't use Omega Drivers. This little blurb from his
web site is alarming to say the least.

Quote:

" All Omega driver sets are tested (unless noted) by myself in my own PC or
in an alternate PC (in the case of the Nvidia drivers) to ensure maximum
compatibility and reliability."

"I do this hobby in my spare time, since I have a personal life and a day
work, so don't expect me to be up-to-date with everybody or everything, that
means, don't send me E-Mail with questions like"When is the next set going
to be released?"

Ahhhh, No Thank You.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 7:18:58 AM

Michael-NC wasted my time on 12/28/2004 11:18 PM with the following:

> Not for nothing but I wouldn't use Omega Drivers. This little blurb from
> his web site is alarming to say the least.
>
> Quote:
>
> " All Omega driver sets are tested (unless noted) by myself in my own PC
> or in an alternate PC (in the case of the Nvidia drivers) to ensure
> maximum compatibility and reliability."
>
> "I do this hobby in my spare time, since I have a personal life and a
> day work, so don't expect me to be up-to-date with everybody or
> everything, that means, don't send me E-Mail with questions like"When is
> the next set going to be released?"
>

> Ahhhh, No Thank You.

Considering OmegaDrivers are the only way to actually make my Doom3 run
for longer than 5 minutes without a terminal system freeze, Thank You
very much.

Frankly, as long as Mr.Cairns knows what he's doing, this shouldn't be a
dangerous process. A simple system restore point and/or backup of files
can ensure that no loss would be incurred if the drivers didn't work
(which won't happen, they're very reliable).

But, yes, if he wishes to play it safe, the quote is a bit alarming.

--
Noob - "do you hack?"
Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"
Noob - "do you have digital cable?"
Justin - "i have *ALL* the cables!"
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 5:24:19 PM

> Michael-NC wasted my time on 12/28/2004 11:18 PM with the following:
>>
>> Not for nothing but I wouldn't use Omega Drivers. This little blurb from
>> his web site is alarming to say the least.
>>
>> Quote:
>>
>> " All Omega driver sets are tested (unless noted) by myself in my own PC
>> or in an alternate PC (in the case of the Nvidia drivers) to ensure
>> maximum compatibility and reliability."
>>
>> "I do this hobby in my spare time, since I have a personal life and a day
>> work, so don't expect me to be up-to-date with everybody or everything,
>> that means, don't send me E-Mail with questions like"When is the next set
>> going to be released?"
>>

>> Ahhhh, No Thank You.
>>

> Considering OmegaDrivers are the only way to actually make my Doom3 run
> for longer than 5 minutes without a terminal system freeze, Thank You very
> much.
>
> Frankly, as long as Mr.Cairns knows what he's doing, this shouldn't be a
> dangerous process. A simple system restore point and/or backup of files
> can ensure that no loss would be incurred if the drivers didn't work
> (which won't happen, they're very reliable).
>
> But, yes, if he wishes to play it safe, the quote is a bit alarming.

It's just hard to believe that the latest ATI drivers would stop D3 from
running. I'm a nVidia guy. I have 5 machines in the house and they all have
nVidia chipsets in them. In my own particular experience, I can't say I've
ever had trouble running a game that was traced back to a video driver
problem, of course I try to keep them somewhat updated. I have built some
machines for others with ATI cards and used the ATI unified driver with no
probs. It wasn't that long ago that ATI had no unified driver, one of the
reasons I like nVidia. You're the first person I ever heard that recommended
Omega drivers.

> Noob - "do you hack?"
> Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"
> Noob - "do you have digital cable?"
> Justin - "i have *ALL* the cables!"
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 5:24:20 PM

Michael-NC wasted my time on 12/29/2004 9:24 AM with the following:

> It's just hard to believe that the latest ATI drivers would stop D3 from
> running.

It certainly is. I was terribly pissed off when I loaded Doom3. I
don't know if this is a problem with my computer or with the ATI drivers
that were on the CD, but installing the new omega drivers fixed the
problem in a jiffy, so I'm putting my money on the drivers.

I'm a nVidia guy. I have 5 machines in the house and they all
> have nVidia chipsets in them. In my own particular experience, I can't
> say I've ever had trouble running a game that was traced back to a video
> driver problem, of course I try to keep them somewhat updated.

Nvidia drivers are better than ATI drivers in my personal experience (my
last video card was an MX440; yeah, i know its a POS, you dont have to
tell me), so it makes sense that you would have no problems.

> I have
> built some machines for others with ATI cards and used the ATI unified
> driver with no probs.

Did you try running Doom3 on these machines? I never said the card was
giving me grief in windows/other games, just in Doom3.

> It wasn't that long ago that ATI had no unified
> driver, one of the reasons I like nVidia. You're the first person I ever
> heard that recommended Omega drivers.

I'm not even sure if the Omega drivers are necessary anymore, since
Catalyst 4.12 was released (although from the information he's given us,
the latest drivers have problems too) But frankly, I know enough about
my computer that I feel confident installing these drivers. All my
sensitive data is backed up, so I can even reinstall windows from
scratch with minimum loss. (mainly in my game dept.)

I see better performance in doom3 with these drivers than I did with the
5-minute bursts of playability.

Anyway, I fully understand your standpoint on this, and if our friend
here is uncomfortable installing the drivers, I'm not pushing them on
him. You could compare what I'm suggesting to overclocking, just
without the potential for frying the card. If you don't know what
you're doing, you could potentially dig yourself in further, but if you
take your time and step carefully, you'll see good results.

I'm simply just trying to offer him a way out of the hole he's in.

For the record, the Omega Drivers are *not* perfect, they do have flaws.
Notably, my gamma was recently thrown askew (blue was too high) and I
had to open display properties and re-lock RGB gamma values to 1.

--
Noob - "do you hack?"
Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"
Noob - "do you have digital cable?"
Justin - "i have *ALL* the cables!"
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 11:27:43 PM

"SnoopJeDi" <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Michael-NC wasted my time on 12/28/2004 11:18 PM with the following:
>>
>> Not for nothing but I wouldn't use Omega Drivers. This little blurb from
>> his web site is alarming to say the least.
>>
>> Quote:
>>
>> " All Omega driver sets are tested (unless noted) by myself in my own PC
>> or in an alternate PC (in the case of the Nvidia drivers) to ensure
>> maximum compatibility and reliability."
>>
>> "I do this hobby in my spare time, since I have a personal life and a day
>> work, so don't expect me to be up-to-date with everybody or everything,
>> that means, don't send me E-Mail with questions like"When is the next set
>> going to be released?"
>>

>> Ahhhh, No Thank You.
>>

> Considering OmegaDrivers are the only way to actually make my Doom3 run
> for longer than 5 minutes without a terminal system freeze, Thank You very
> much.
>
> Frankly, as long as Mr.Cairns knows what he's doing, this shouldn't be a
> dangerous process. A simple system restore point and/or backup of files
> can ensure that no loss would be incurred if the drivers didn't work
> (which won't happen, they're very reliable).
>
> But, yes, if he wishes to play it safe, the quote is a bit alarming.
>
> --
> Noob - "do you hack?"
> Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"
> Noob - "do you have digital cable?"
> Justin - "i have *ALL* the cables!"

I got the updated drivers to work on the kid's pc, if I load the game onto
my wife's laptop again she'll have another hissy fit, I may just do it.

John Cairns
December 29, 2004 11:29:25 PM

So I assume things worked out good then? Nice.

> "SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Not this game per-se, but Ive had the similar with other games. I get
>> rid of the problem usually with the video card drivers. To be more
>> precise, I usually uninstall the video card via the system properties and
>> reboot. WinXp sees the same video card and reloads it on the reboot. Not
>> the most scientific approach, but it has worked. That is usually after
>> fiddeling with a lot of the resolutions of the monitor and game and
>> getting frustrated. Sometimes its a reloading of the game afterwards as
>> well. Pain in the A**....yes, but it seems to help sometimes.
>>
>> At least your not getting the games error codes upon startup. Thats more
>> of a bummer.
>>
>> just an idea,
>> SL
>
> Activision steered me to the upgraded drivers at ATI's website.
>
> http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
>
> I had tried using the new drivers, but didn't use the utility to
> completely remove the old drivers.
>
> http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.h...
>
> D3 is pretty impressive.
>
> John Cairns
>

>> "John Cairns" <jgcairnsnospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> Have installed/uninstalled a dozen times. Installed game on a PC running
>>> Windows XP, AMD Athlon XP 3200 with 512 mb DDR sd ram and an ATI Radeon
>>> 9800 pro card. The game will autorun, clicking new game the game load
>>> progress bar loads to completion, then switches back to the desktop.Am
>>> using the default display settings, have also tried using a patch from
>>> the Doom3 website, no luck. Am getting ready to call activision, hoping
>>> I can get some new ideas here, tired of trying to get this thing running
>>> for the kid, should probably have him do all the work. TIA.
>>>
>>> John Cairns

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 1:07:52 AM

> Michael-NC wasted my time on 12/29/2004 9:24 AM with the following:
>>
>> It's just hard to believe that the latest ATI drivers would stop D3 from
>> running.
>
> It certainly is. I was terribly pissed off when I loaded Doom3. I don't
> know if this is a problem with my computer or with the ATI drivers that
> were on the CD, but installing the new omega drivers fixed the problem in
> a jiffy, so I'm putting my money on the drivers.

I never use the drivers on the CD. I always download the latest reference
drivers from the web.

> I'm a nVidia guy. I have 5 machines in the house and they all
>> have nVidia chipsets in them. In my own particular experience, I can't
>> say I've ever had trouble running a game that was traced back to a video
>> driver problem, of course I try to keep them somewhat updated.
>
> Nvidia drivers are better than ATI drivers in my personal experience (my
> last video card was an MX440; yeah, i know its a POS, you dont have to
> tell me), so it makes sense that you would have no problems.

> > I have
>> built some machines for others with ATI cards and used the ATI unified
>> driver with no probs.
>
> Did you try running Doom3 on these machines? I never said the card was
> giving me grief in windows/other games, just in Doom3.

Didn't try that. I only have my copy of D3.

>> It wasn't that long ago that ATI had no unified driver, one of the
>> reasons I like nVidia. You're the first person I ever heard that
>> recommended Omega drivers.
>
> I'm not even sure if the Omega drivers are necessary anymore, since
> Catalyst 4.12 was released (although from the information he's given us,
> the latest drivers have problems too) But frankly, I know enough about my
> computer that I feel confident installing these drivers. All my sensitive
> data is backed up, so I can even reinstall windows from scratch with
> minimum loss. (mainly in my game dept.)

That's good cause most folks don't backup. I have Genie Backup manager and
it runs automatically every day at 5:00PM and backs up selected files and
Acronis which runs weekly and incrementally backs up the entire drive to an
image which can be restored.

> I see better performance in doom3 with these drivers than I did with the
> 5-minute bursts of playability.
>
> Anyway, I fully understand your standpoint on this, and if our friend here
> is uncomfortable installing the drivers, I'm not pushing them on him. You
> could compare what I'm suggesting to overclocking, just without the
> potential for frying the card. If you don't know what you're doing, you
> could potentially dig yourself in further, but if you take your time and
> step carefully, you'll see good results.

No doubt that any mischief the drivers could conceivably cause could be
easily remedied. I just never heard of them and I'm inclined to be wary of
third-party drivers. If someone puts out 500.00 for the latest ATI card, I
would assume that person would not want to install third-party drivers.

> I'm simply just trying to offer him a way out of the hole he's in.
>
> For the record, the Omega Drivers are *not* perfect, they do have flaws.
> Notably, my gamma was recently thrown askew (blue was too high) and I had
> to open display properties and re-lock RGB gamma values to 1.

If you load third party drivers or even reference drivers on a laptop, it
_could_ cause a lot of trouble as well. I tried on my lapper and it disabled
all the functionality of the hotkeys and the ability to change the display
to a different source. Since laptop GPU's are proprietary parts, alternative
drivers _usually_ won't work with all the functionality of the manufacture's
drivers.

[HINT] I wouldn't put them on my wife's lapper...

!