DukeD

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2004
Hi Everybody

Ok here we go. Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI ; WD Raptor 74 gig
BIOS will not see the HD (Award BIOS V6.00P6). There are two sets of SATA sockets on this board. Gigabyte describes them this way
"S_ATA0/1/2/3_SB (Serial ATA II Connectors, Controlled by NForce4 SLI)"- they are yellow
and
SATA0/1/2/3_SII (Serial ATA Connectors, controlled by Sil3114)"- they are red

I have tried all 4 connections on the red set to no avail. The interesting thing is that , after it tries all the drives and finds no HD and then boots to the Windows XP install disk on the cd, windows sees the drive and formats it and installs the first set of files. Then it re-boots and wants to boot from the HD to finish the install and, of course, it can't boot from it.

Someone suggested that windows sees it as a SCSI drive- maybe so- but I need the BIOS to see it first.

Anyone have any ideas? Gigabyte, of course, has not answered my emails and has no phone numbers for tech help. Nice after the money I spent for this Mobo.... but, anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am at a loss here. You can email me direct at umpired@gmail.com

Thanks

-Duke-

<font color=blue><b>just trying to put a little distance......
..... between causes and effects</font color=blue></b>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Drives attached to the Sil controller likely need the driver disk installed (Press F6 when prompted to add 3rd party controller during XP installation.

If you were to attach it to the nForce controller, it should show up and work properly without a 3rd party driver.

Make sure you have the BIOS set to no raid.

Mike.

DukeD

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2004
These are the choices I have and where they are set
IDE/SATA RAID Function..Enabled
IDE Primary Master RAID ...Disabled
IDE Primary Slave RAID ... Disabled
IDE Secondary Master RAID ... Disabled
IDE Secondary Slave RAID ... Disabled
Swerial-ATA ... Enabled
SATA 1 Primary RAID ... Enabled
SATA 1 Secondary RAID ... Enabled
SERIAL- ATA2 ... Enabled
SATA2 Primary RAID ... enabled
SATA 2 Secondary RAID ... enabled

Are these correct?

<font color=blue><b>just trying to put a little distance......
..... between causes and effects</font color=blue></b>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Disclaimer time: I don't know that mobo personally (I'm old fashioned and someone needs to introduce us... :evil: ), so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it should be like this:

Plug your HDD into one of the yellow connectors so it goes on the nForce native controller. (I'd use '0' but I don't think it matters.

>> SATA 1 Primary RAID ... Enabled
>> SATA 1 Secondary RAID ... Enabled
>> SERIAL- ATA2 ... Enabled

Change those 3 to disabled. (the 3rd one can be enabled, but since you're not using it you might as well disable it.)

>> IDE/SATA RAID Function..Enabled

I'm not certain if this one needs enabled or not. At first glance, disable it, but if it doesn't work, try enabling it.

I think that should do it. BIOS should recognize the drive, and Windows should install without a driver disk.

Mike.

G

Most likely bios setting, specially if your using the latest bios. Also you can always check for a firmware update of your HD, since the raptor is pretty recent I dont think that would be the cause but its worth mentionning.

If you dont use any IDE hd disable all that stuff. If you dont use raid disable all that stuff. I would personnaly leave the SATA 1 and 2 enable justin case you plug it in the wrong one.

Im not familiar with this MB either check the user manual for some insight(probly did this already)

And like others said put it on the nVidia controller(use the silicon....controllers only if you use some raid)

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

pat

Expert
nvidia SATA connector set to RAID mode.. set it to BASE or disabled and it will work.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>