Going Wireless, want help in layman terms

I have an RV, trailer, want to move my desk top in it, so as to be
able to connect to WIFI hot spot. I am using Linksys products.

I have a Wireless-G PCI Adapter (WMP54G), installed in the DT.

I have a Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G) in my house connected
to the cable modem.

I have the high gain antenna (HGA7T) installed on the Router.

I have on order another high gain antenna (Trendnet TEWIAO6D) for
the PCI adapter.

I have every thing working while in my house, antennas only a foot
apart. I expect to move the PC out to the camper after receiving the
other High Gain antenna. I also have a PCTEL WiFi Seeker on order,
that I will use to insure that the range of the wireless router is
adequate.

Wireless Network Settings
Network name (SSID xxxxxxx
Network Key (WEP/WAP Key); xxxxxx
Key Provided Automatically (802.1x): 0
Network Authentication Type: open
Data Encryption Type: WEP
Connection Type: ESS
Key Index: blank

Now where I need some help is in two areas:

What is needed to set up a printer that normally plugs in to the
USB port to make it wireless.

How do I obtain access from a hot spot at a truck stop or some
other place. If they say I need an access code or pass word, what do
I do to apply them.

Remember the subject layman terms, I am almost computer literate.
1 answer Last reply
More about going wireless layman terms

    > I have a Wireless-G PCI Adapter (WMP54G), installed in the DT.
    >
    > I have a Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G) in my house connected to the
    > cable modem.
    >
    > I have the high gain antenna (HGA7T) installed on the Router.
    >
    > I have on order another high gain antenna (Trendnet TEWIAO6D) for the PCI
    > adapter.
    >
    > I have every thing working while in my house, antennas only a foot apart.
    > I expect to move the PC out to the camper after receiving the other High
    > Gain antenna. I also have a PCTEL WiFi Seeker on order,
    > that I will use to insure that the range of the wireless router is
    > adequate.
    >
    > Wireless Network Settings
    > Network name (SSID xxxxxxx
    > Network Key (WEP/WAP Key); xxxxxx
    > Key Provided Automatically (802.1x): 0
    > Network Authentication Type: open
    > Data Encryption Type: WEP
    > Connection Type: ESS
    > Key Index: blank

    From what you have listed, you could teach people here a thing or two.

    > Now where I need some help is in two areas:
    >
    > What is needed to set up a printer that normally plugs in to the USB
    > port to make it wireless.

    If Linksys doesn't offer a Wireless G USB Printserver then you started with
    the wrong brand. To say it another way, you should stay with the same brand
    to get the best results.

    > How do I obtain access from a hot spot at a truck stop or some other
    > place. If they say I need an access code or pass word, what do I do to
    > apply them.

    If it is an open public hotspot you won't have a problem, just scan for
    availible connections and connect. If it is a pay hotspot , then you will
    talk to the owner and they will tell you how to connect.

    > Remember the subject layman terms, I am almost computer literate.

Wireless Wireless Networking