How to install ASUS A8N-E chipsete fan

nsheth11

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2005
The chipset fan on my ASUS A8N-E suddenly started to make loud noise. I called ASUS and they have sent me a new fan which is slightly different. As far as I know, I will have to remove the Mobo from the case in order to remove the old fan. And the new one should just fit in with right orientation.

Has anyone done this and can suggest a few things to make this thing easier? I haven't done this before. I bought a combo so I didn't have to deal with installing heatsink/fan on CPU.

Should I clean the surface of the northbridge chip with anything before installing the new fan? If so, what should I use? The new fan already has thermal pad with sticker on it.

I would really appreciate if you can share your experience wity this stuff.

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
As far as I know the chipset fan should have been attached with little clips, which makes removing it quite easy.
You should indeed clean of all the old thermal stuff and I think the thermal pad will suffice.

nsheth11

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2005
Thank you for your replies.

I have removed the old fan and I see some white thermal grease. I also see one black rubber strip there. Should I keep it there or remove it?