Your question

Asus P4B533 BIOS Update?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Hard Drives
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
June 23, 2005 12:31:55 AM

I just bought a new HDD last week because mine stopped working, it wouldn't even spin anymore... it was really old and was probably on 20 hours a day average, so I guess that's kinda normal.

Anyway, I bought a 250GB because that was the best value/price, without thinking about compatibility issues. I installed it like one normally installs a HDD, like I always do it. Then I started putting stuff from my other computers on it... I hit about 150GB out of 250. I start getting corrupt files and I wasn't able to browse it well, so I reboot, just to find that all my files are gone! Pissed, I head back to the store to get a new one, thinking it was broken. They gave me a new one quickly. I go back home, install it again... but this time, I see the warning I failed to see the first time. Ouch, there appears to be a 137GB drive limit on older motherboards... there you go, I found my problem, it must be what happened to the other one, oh well. This new one will do the trick, if I can get it to work, that is. I was told that most mobo's recent BIOS remove the 137GB limit, so I checked out ASUS' website but it won' work well, I can't find the BIOS updates to see if there's one that does what I need, and now I can't even access the support page because ''The service is currently unavailable''

So I turn to you, is there a way to find if there's a BIOS update that fixes the 137GB limit, and most importantly, how do you install a new BIOS? I downloaded the latest one before the ASUS website went crap, so I just need to know if it would correct my problem, then, with your help, I could install it and all would be good.

I hope that isn't too messed up, I'm pretty tired after all...

Thanks a bunch!

More about : asus p4b533 bios update

June 23, 2005 3:21:52 AM

I think that if you have WinXP with SP2 that will fix your problem.
What OS do you have.

<font color=red>Left to themselves, all things go from bad to worse</font color=red>
June 23, 2005 3:26:00 AM

I tried the ASUS website and it didn't work so at least we know it wasn't a bad connection on your part.
If you get a controller card that will take off the 137G limit.

<font color=red>Left to themselves, all things go from bad to worse</font color=red>
Related resources
June 23, 2005 11:30:30 PM

I have WindowsXP. But now there's nothing on the drive, so should I go ahead and partition it to 137GB limit, as well as install WinXP, then download SP2? The limit would dissapear just like that? Or is there anything else I need to know before I go on?

Thanks again!
June 23, 2005 11:33:34 PM

Oh, and I forgot, how does a controller card work and how much do they cost?

Would I be able to have 2 HDD over 137GB? Each on its own controller card? What are the downsides?
June 24, 2005 12:00:03 AM

About the XP with SP2 I'm not completely sure. That's what I heard but I don't know for sure.
And about the controller card it's a PCI card that gives you 2 extra IDE connectors. I don't know if the hard drives will be slower on the PCI slot, but at least I don't remember it being slower.

!