Last response: in Video Games
September 16, 2010 7:25:01 PM

hi all :D  how u doin

ive bought a pc a month ago

my specs are:

gpu ati 5770 1gb hawk

cpu amd athlon ii x4 630

ram 4gb 1333

and emmm i got this shadow problem in almost all games assassins creed 1-2 and gta iv and wow and crysis and some games

the problem is i get a nice fps while playing no matter what and when i put the shadow on medium or high or even low in gta iv i get a huge fps drop in all places like from 60 to 20 fps

really dont know what to do ive seen people playing gta iv and assassins creed with 5770 on youtube

so if anyone had same problem or know how to fix it plz reply

oh and im using 1366x786 res

so what is this i dont know

More about : shadow problem

September 17, 2010 1:32:39 PM

Have you installed the latest ATI drivers? That would be the first step.

September 17, 2010 3:30:35 PM

im useing ati catalyst 10.8 is thier another ati driver???
Related resources
September 17, 2010 4:19:03 PM

Well, 10.9 is the latest. I do know 10.8 gave me problems with Borderlands where Borderlands would crash after about 5 minutes of play.

You might try 10.9 to see.

Also, have you patched GTA IV to the latest patches? Do that as well. The latest patch for GTA IV really helped cure some performance problems plus it gives you finer control over the detail settings.

Also, in GTA IV, what is your view distance set to? Anything above 30-35 is overkill and not worth it. Setting it to 35 will still surpass the consoles in regards to the view distance.
September 18, 2010 6:54:45 AM

ive updated gta iv to latest patch and emm my distance is 32

but the poblem isnt about gta iv only its assassins creed too

and crysis aswel i was on 10.7 and now 10.8 and i will update to 10.9 once i get home and i will see hope it helpes me

thanks for youre help :D 
September 20, 2010 5:18:27 PM

i did update to 10.9 didnt help at all seems like a cpu problem??
September 20, 2010 5:22:59 PM

Borderlands crashed on me after a few minutes using CCC 10.4/.6
I think Borderlands crashing wasn't the drivers fault but the actual game itself.

Overall, that resolution is small so you should be getting great fps even on the higher settings within games. What is your cpu at though, the 630 is 2.8GHz right?
September 20, 2010 5:39:57 PM

dalta centauri said:
I think Borderlands crashing wasn't the drivers fault but the actual game itself.

Overall, that resolution is small so you should be getting great fps even on the higher settings within games. What is your cpu at though, the 630 is 2.8GHz right?

The drivers were a problem with Borderlands. Updating to 10.9 fixes the problem. It's even listed in the driver docs as a fix.
September 20, 2010 6:19:27 PM

dalta centauri said:

thats my cpu and yes its 2.8 ghz

is it the problem?
cuz i thought about upgrading to phenom ii x4 965 but they said it wouldnt make much diffrence

September 20, 2010 6:26:12 PM

It still could be an issue with your CPU. The athlon's are not as good as the phenom's when it comes to gaming due to the extra cache that is on the Phenoms.

My current Phenom is also a 2.8ghz cpu. Whether or not I overclock it, I can still get around 40 fps on GTA IV with some pretty good settings.

I would say upgrading to the Phenom you listed should help in many respects. But, GTA IV will STILL crawl at times just because of how it was ported. I'm still surprised that the 5770 didn't help though. Strange.
September 21, 2010 12:25:22 PM

My Athlon was able to unlock it's fourth core, overclock to 3.6GHz, and runs great in my opinion.
I just don't know how AthlonIIx3's compare in overclocking to a quad version.
September 21, 2010 12:55:49 PM

dalta centauri said:
My Athlon was able to unlock it's fourth core, overclock to 3.6GHz, and runs great in my opinion.
I just don't know how AthlonIIx3's compare in overclocking to a quad version.

I was under the impression that the Phenom's extra L3 cache would help, but this article from Tom's Hardware shows that it's not always the case.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-l3-cache,241...

So, in your case, you might be just fine. They saw with the lower speed Athlons and Phenoms, there's not much difference. But when you get to the higher speed chips, the scaling between the two makes the Phenom the better choice.
September 21, 2010 2:36:13 PM

Athlon II's also match Intel's quad cores.
Tricore and quads match them in video rendering and editing, although they lose slightly in gaming performance.
September 22, 2010 3:20:43 PM

so u guys think its a cpu problem? could a cpu cause a shadow problem isnt the gpu whats doin that??

hmmm ? i bought borderlands yesterday

and when i put shadow on i get 40 fps and when its off i get 60 with vsync so its really a problem its droping a 20 fps i really havent seen that befor

a 20 fps drop for the shadow

well the place where i bought my pc at told me that its either the motherboard's or the cpu's driver thats causing this shadow fps drop

does that really make any sense or a hint????

(thanks for helping me)
September 22, 2010 3:25:40 PM

Shadows is a detail that WILL decrease frame rates. There's nothing you can do about that. With it dropping 20 fps, I'm not sure. Usually you can also determine how detailed your shadows are.

Again, have you updated to the latest video drivers for your card?

In the case of GTA IV, turning on shadows will definitely affect it especially in the city. Consider all the buildings, people, cars that are there, especially the buildings and dropping that much at medium to high is not that abnormal.

Have you considered overclocking your video card and possibly your CPU? When I overclocked my 5750, I gained about 5 to 7 fps. My CPU OC gained me another 5 fps I believe.

!