Sign in with
Your question

Need help in deciding which Wireless Router to get

Last response: in Networking
August 12, 2002 5:11:17 AM

Ok, I have finally decided to get a network in the house and have decided to go wireless. I will be connecting a Desktop that has cablemodem access that is running winXP and 1-2 laptops (the one for sure is running WinMe, the other is running win98sr2)...I just haven't been able to find out which one is the best that I can get... Money is not a problem... I just need something that is reliable and will work well pretty much out of the box.

If you all could share your experience, strength and hope it would be greatly appreciated. ;-)
August 12, 2002 2:22:05 PM

I, personally, just made the same decisions. Currently, if in the U.S. you can get the Netgear MR314 Wireless router, after rebates and discount, for $119 at CompUSA This is a GREAT router. My online speeds exceed expectations, with an average of 1.44MBps download and 240Kbps upload. I use it on conjunction with the Netgear MA101 USB port adapter on my other desktop and the Netgear MA401 wireless PCIMCIA adapter for my laptop. I couldn't be happier...

Netgear is the only company to offer a 5 year warrantee. When I was shopping around...I called tech support for Linksys, Netgear and D-Link. Linksys was OK...D-Link techs wouldn't talk to me unless I purchased first...but Netgear spent an hour on the phone with me, makins sure that I understood everything there was to know. They earned my business over and over. No complaints here.

Bob
August 12, 2002 3:45:51 PM

Thank you for the great info. It is good to see that people are treated as people when they contact a tech support line. I have heard some negative things about Netgear though, like every other company out there. I was wondering if going the 5Ghz way might be better for me though... I have my own house with a large yard and neighbors are not a concern, but I do have 2 2.4Ghz wireless phones and think that this might be a better route.
Related resources
August 16, 2002 4:32:27 PM

I don't think that interference from your phones should be a problem. At 2.4 Ghz there are several channels available. Heck, in my house my brother runs a 802.11b network and I run a separate one. Just stuck them on different channels and they run fine without any interference.

The one I just got is the D-Link DWL 900AP+ Access Point and the DWL 650+ Cardbus Adapter for my laptop. Setup is pretty straightforward, and it works fine. The only problem I've had is trying to get it to run at the advertised 22 Mbps...it always (so far) seems to drop down to the standard 11 Mbps.
August 18, 2002 1:29:37 AM

Bump for future reference. I too am wanting a wireless home network.
September 3, 2002 1:44:19 AM

I would suggest the Linksys BEFW11S4. A 4port router/switch/wireless accesspoint. With a built in firewall.

I aint signing nothing!!!
October 7, 2002 6:15:04 AM

hey all,
i just set everything up last thursday for my wireless network...
I ended up buying the Netgear MR314 Router/AP/Switch for $79 from buy.com and got a MA401 Card for $49 after rebates...
That part was easy and now I am typing this from the couch while watching SouthPark ;-)
The set up of the router with my ISP and the 2 machines was strait forward and easy as pie...I am very comfortable with computers, but have never set up or done a network before and I just followed the directions and was up and running within under 1 hour.
I have AP/Router in the basement where my office is, and even when I go upstairs to the 2nd floor I can still connect at 11MB.

Even with all of this good news, I am having a problem getting the 2 Computers to see each other and share files and a printer. My laptop is running ME and the desktop is running XP Home. If any of you have any suggestions this would be greatly appreciated.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DrAddict on 10/07/02 11:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!