4500n color laserjet prints blank pages....until 9:30am

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b α HP
February 3, 2005 11:14:14 AM

Quick enviro look;
network of about 300 computers, 90% are XP pro.

In this particular lab, I have about 25 98 machines (it is an
elementary school lab). The Teacher uses a 98 machine in the lab, but
also has an XP machine in her office that is connected to this lab.

In this lab is a HP Color LaserJet 4500n. This printer may be old, but
it has been a very nice, very reliable printer... until now.

It seems that this teacher can try to print in the morning, and it
shoots out blank pages... she continues to try through-out the day, and
has come to the conclution over several days that at around 9:30am or
10am it starts to print properly....

In this same building we have an identical printer, in an elementary
library, she can successfully print to it no problem (which leads me to
rule out a networking issue, but not completely). The drivers have been
reinstalled, and (of course) by the time I go check it out, it prints
just fine...

It is not routed through a print server, but rather, the printer has
its own IP address, and we print to that via tcp/ip (installed that on
the 98 machines)

Any ideas? thanks in advance all!
Jam
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 3, 2005 7:28:54 PM

On 3 Feb 2005 08:14:14 -0800, jbraly@gmail.com wrote:

>Quick enviro look;
>network of about 300 computers, 90% are XP pro.
>
>In this particular lab, I have about 25 98 machines (it is an
>elementary school lab). The Teacher uses a 98 machine in the lab, but
>also has an XP machine in her office that is connected to this lab.
>
>In this lab is a HP Color LaserJet 4500n. This printer may be old, but
>it has been a very nice, very reliable printer... until now.
>
>It seems that this teacher can try to print in the morning, and it
>shoots out blank pages... she continues to try through-out the day, and
>has come to the conclution over several days that at around 9:30am or
>10am it starts to print properly....
>
>In this same building we have an identical printer, in an elementary
>library, she can successfully print to it no problem (which leads me to
>rule out a networking issue, but not completely). The drivers have been
>reinstalled, and (of course) by the time I go check it out, it prints
>just fine...
>
>It is not routed through a print server, but rather, the printer has
>its own IP address, and we print to that via tcp/ip (installed that on
>the 98 machines)
>
>Any ideas? thanks in advance all!
>Jam

It sounds like you have this printer using a static IP address.

Is this IP address excluded on your DHCP server? It sounds like you
might have a duplicate IP address on your network. Alternately, the printer
may have a duplicate host name.

Try to find a copy of the JetAdmin utility from HP. Running it to discover
all printers on your network might help you rule out some other possible
errors.

Aidan Grey
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 4, 2005 1:57:01 AM

Fixed IP for the color 4500n outside the range managed by the DHCP server is the
way to go. Look at the DHCP server's range... Ben Myers

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:28:54 -0500 (EST), "Aidan Grey" <apgrey@nospam.con>
wrote:

>On 3 Feb 2005 08:14:14 -0800, jbraly@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Quick enviro look;
>>network of about 300 computers, 90% are XP pro.
>>
>>In this particular lab, I have about 25 98 machines (it is an
>>elementary school lab). The Teacher uses a 98 machine in the lab, but
>>also has an XP machine in her office that is connected to this lab.
>>
>>In this lab is a HP Color LaserJet 4500n. This printer may be old, but
>>it has been a very nice, very reliable printer... until now.
>>
>>It seems that this teacher can try to print in the morning, and it
>>shoots out blank pages... she continues to try through-out the day, and
>>has come to the conclution over several days that at around 9:30am or
>>10am it starts to print properly....
>>
>>In this same building we have an identical printer, in an elementary
>>library, she can successfully print to it no problem (which leads me to
>>rule out a networking issue, but not completely). The drivers have been
>>reinstalled, and (of course) by the time I go check it out, it prints
>>just fine...
>>
>>It is not routed through a print server, but rather, the printer has
>>its own IP address, and we print to that via tcp/ip (installed that on
>>the 98 machines)
>>
>>Any ideas? thanks in advance all!
>>Jam
>>

> It sounds like you have this printer using a static IP address.
>
> Is this IP address excluded on your DHCP server? It sounds like you
>might have a duplicate IP address on your network. Alternately, the printer
>may have a duplicate host name.
>
> Try to find a copy of the JetAdmin utility from HP. Running it to discover
>all printers on your network might help you rule out some other possible
>errors.
>
>Aidan Grey

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 7, 2005 10:28:56 AM

update...

got a configuration page...

has a host name (NPI1B....)

but no IP address...

Jet admin doesnt find it...

how do I set an IP address? Can it be done on the menu buttons on the
4500N?

thanks in advance!
Jam
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 7, 2005 6:36:54 PM

Jet Admin (or Web Jet Admin) can search for a Jet Direct using the Ethernet MAC
address, which should be printed out clearly on the Color 4500n configuration
page. This is the easiest way to do it.

Yes, you can also set the IP address, subnet mask and other attributes via the
printer's menu buttons, but it is VERY tedious to do so... Ben Myers

!