Motorola WR850G - inside connections

Mousepad

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2004

I've got two computers connected to a Motorola WR850G wireless router: one
wired, and one wireless. Both have a DHCP address from the router. Both
can get on the Internet. I cannot ping one computer from the other. Any
idea why?

Thanks.

ADY
--
adyoung (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

do you have a firewall? disable it and try it if yo do, or allow the
firewall to pass ICMP (i think thats tit)
"MousePad"
<adyoungentirely.too.much.spam.in.my.inbox.these.days@sbcglobal.net> wrote
in message news:yNTgd.7115$bP2.3563@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
> I've got two computers connected to a Motorola WR850G wireless router:
one
> wired, and one wireless. Both have a DHCP address from the router. Both
> can get on the Internet. I cannot ping one computer from the other. Any
> idea why?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ADY
> --
> adyoung (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:34:22 GMT, "MousePad"
wrote:

>I've got two computers connected to a Motorola WR850G wireless router: one
>wired, and one wireless. Both have a DHCP address from the router. Both
>can get on the Internet. I cannot ping one computer from the other. Any
>idea why?

What exact operating system are the computahs using?

In you ignore the wireless part of the puzzle, and plug the computahs
directly into the switch on the back of the router for a wired LAN
connection, do you have the same problem?

Some ideas:
1. Windoze XP firewall is blocking everything.
2. Some other personal firewall is blocking pings (ZoneAlarm, Kerio,
Norton, McAffee, Black Ice Defender, etc)

I've seen some really weird things with ping, where Windoze ICMP ping
doesn't work, but Linux UDP ping does work. It's usually buggy
firmware of some setting that has an undesired affect ( such as block
pings from WAN).

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Mousepad

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2004

> What exact operating system are the computahs using?
>
> In you ignore the wireless part of the puzzle, and plug the computahs
> directly into the switch on the back of the router for a wired LAN
> connection, do you have the same problem?
>
> Some ideas:
> 1. Windoze XP firewall is blocking everything.

Okay, yup, that was it. I disabled the firewall and it works.

What port do I need to open up for Ping? I tried opening 5813, but it
didn't work.

ADY

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:17:21 GMT, "MousePad"
wrote:

>"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
>

>> What exact operating system are the computahs using?
>>
>> In you ignore the wireless part of the puzzle, and plug the computahs
>> directly into the switch on the back of the router for a wired LAN
>> connection, do you have the same problem?
>>
>> Some ideas:
>> 1. Windoze XP firewall is blocking everything.

>Okay, yup, that was it. I disabled the firewall and it works.

>What port do I need to open up for Ping? I tried opening 5813, but it
>didn't work.

Thanks for not bothering to disclose exactly what version of Windoze
you're using. I'll assume that "the firewall" implies Windoze XP Home
SP2.

Windoze ping uses ICMP which does't have a dedicated port number. I
have not idea what 5318 is suppose to do. It's not on the "well
known" IP ports numbers list.

Start -> Run -> Firewall.cpl
Hit the exceptions tab and check the "File and Print Sharing" tab.

However, I don't think that will work. Ping should be enabled by
default between machines on the same LAN and has nothing to do with
File and Print Sharing. However, you'll need it enabled anyway if
you're gonna move files between machines.

Start -> Run -> Firewall.cpl
Hit the Advanced tab and go down to ICMP -> Settings. Make sure ICMP
Echo is enabled.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558