My computer can no longer run certain games

lun4tic

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
So I've been fiddling with these nVidia beta drivers for a while, trying to get SLI working reliably, when I decided to update DirectX. At some point during the installation, my computer locks up. After, that same lock occurs when starting Starcraft 2, and Left 4 Dead 2 crashes without completely locking up my computer. It's concerning, because both these games worked perfectly well, beforehand. I've done everything I can think of to remedy the situation, but I've had no luck. Dragon Age: Origins, Alien Swarm, and others work perfectly fine.

The problem isn't remedied by removing one the GTX 460s in SLI configuration. I reset the BIOS to defaults, uninstalled and reinstalled fresh beta and current nVidia drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled Starcraft 2, installed an old version of DirectX, etc. Right now, I'm running a bunch of test and repair tools before I back everything up and install a clean copy of Windows 7.

Any advice?

lun4tic

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Yep, uninstalled the beta drivers and rolled back to the supported one previous. Same issue.

I'm trying to treat each game as a seperate issue, now, in the hope that it's a coincidence.