Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade - what problems can you see?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 26, 2005 6:40:26 PM

At this point, I have 2 working computers. A 3.2GHz P-IV on an ASUS with all the trimmings, this machine has had lots of components swapped out this year to make it good.

The other machine is a 233MHz P-II on a ChainTech MoBo, with other components of the same vintage, running Windows 95. It works fine.

Upgrading my main machine has left me with a stack of components. Namely, an ECS P-IV MoBo, a 2.533GHz P-IV Northwood, 256MB 333MHz RAM and a 52x CD-ROM drive.

So I'm thinking, I'll put these components in the other box and have a 2.533GHz second system, rather then a 233MHz. I'll be able to run BOINC on it if nothing else.

I've established already that the PSU will have to be swapped out as it doesn't have the right connections, and it has a noisy fan.

Can anyone see other problems/expense sources I have not seen?

Med venlig hilsen,
adrianxw

More about : upgrade problems

a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 3:02:05 AM

Everything should be the same except the power supply, so long as the old one was ATX. Heck, you could even buy an adapter to connect the ATX12v header to a standard 4-pin molex.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
!