Intel's 'Project Offset' First Person Shooter Canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

el33t

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Intel can never succeed in the gaming business..............that is till they either merge with Nvidia or develop friendly a relation with them.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Project Offset were around at least back in '04, probably earlier at that. Cool as the game, or engine, might have been they've effectively outdone Duke Nukem Forever at this point.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I had been following Project Offset for the past 3+ years. It's extremely sad that it will be facing yet another set-back. Just goes to show, if you want to do anything in this business, you have to do it yourself, becuase big companies lack appreciation for true talent.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
DAMN! That game looked great, I wish Intel never gobbled them up. Now that larrabee is also on the back burner, what was the point?

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I remember seeing this back in 2006, thinking "when will this come out"?

It's too bad that quite a few anticipated games get the axe for no real reason.

G

I bet the PO designers will pick up the pieces and move forward with it. If anything Intel was a ball and chain slowing them down. Their tech is just to sweet for it to be forgotten. Maybe one of the big development houses (Blizzard, ID, etc..) can pick up the project so the team can finish it.

Katriel

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2008
When Project Offset first released its trailers, I was rather excited. The beautiful images and landscapes captivated me. I think it's a beautiful game by 2010 standards...not to mention 4 years ago. It's a sad day that sees it go.

G

*obvious Larabee comment*

Sucks for all those artists, animators, and coders who just saw their AAA quality work go nowhere and have to start over.

HarryLemon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
That game would have sold like crazy. I've been following it with anticipation since it's announcement 4 years ago as well. What a crying shame! =(

Conner Macleod

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
The company and the game are not done, if you look at the last paragraph it says that they've started a new developing company called Fractiv, they're simply in the process of looking for a new publisher. Believe it or not this is pretty common within the industry, companies lose interest or have some irreconcilable differences with the developer so they sever their ties. With a game this promising it's only a matter of time before some other publisher picks this up.

Sam McGrath goes on to say:
"Unfortunately I can't say any more than that at this stage but I'm looking forward to answering your questions in the near future."

If you read between the lines, this means that he's in talks with a new publisher, but since the deal's not hammered down, he cannot disclose any details at this time, but the inference there is that he will reveal a new partnership with a different publisher within the next few months. His statement about looking forward to answering questions soon is indicative of that.

Oh and be sure to check out the other gameplay videos on youtube, the one shown in this article is only the tip of the iceberg, look for the one with the crossbow and the giant city falling down, the game looks astonishing.

Edit: Typo, changed "one" to "done" in first sentence.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Conner Macleod[/nom]I don't see an edit button but I meant to say "done", not "one".[/citation]
Click the "Read the comments on the forums" link at the top of the comments section.

I also agree with what you said. It's sad to see them lose the publisher, but considering Intel was probably more of a boon to the developers instead of a help I'm kind of glad they're breaking off.

I've been following PO since about summer of 05 and holy crap, it still looks amazing.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]That short clip was pretty damn good. Hope it gets finished.[/citation]
Agree, that could make a great FPS/RPG (Fallout 3 style).

Status
Not open for further replies.