WAL-MART WiFi

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
October 31, 2004 6:16:29 PM

I was told that very soon, Wal-Mart is going to offer (maybe free) WiFi at
all of there stores...

Does anyone know anything about this?

YUA
California

More about : wal mart wifi

October 31, 2004 6:16:30 PM

Your Uncle Albert wrote:
> I was told that very soon, Wal-Mart is going to offer (maybe free) WiFi at
> all of there stores...
>
> Does anyone know anything about this?
>
> YUA
> California

The talk that I heard was that Walmart is experimenting with providing
fixed broadband wireless internet using wireless. I don't mean a hotspot
in the stores, I mean trying to blanket the surrounding areas with
wireless signal. I don't imagine that they're thinking of doing it for
free. If they can't find a way to make it profitable, they won't do it.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 31, 2004 6:16:30 PM

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:16:29 GMT, "Your Uncle Albert"
<yourunclealbert@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I was told that very soon, Wal-Mart is going to offer (maybe free) WiFi at
>all of there stores...
>
>Does anyone know anything about this?

Yeah, but you got the story screwed up. Walmart is considering going
into the wireless business using 802.16 WiMax, not commodity Wi-Fi.
There was no suggestion of offering anything for free. They want to
offer it as some sort of telecom service to customers surrounding
their store. That was August and I haven't seen any action since.
See:
http://www.thefeature.com/article?articleid=100964
http://blogger.iftf.org/Future/000484.html

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
a b F Wireless
October 31, 2004 9:23:40 PM

That would be nice if the price they might charge would match the low cost
of in-there-store prices..
As you know many of the companies that charge for WiFi service need someone
like Wal-Mart to
bring the price down, since all of the other are ALL way over prices...

Thanks for your input, and I shall keep on what I hear.

YUA
Northern California

"Rôgêr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
> Your Uncle Albert wrote:
>> I was told that very soon, Wal-Mart is going to offer (maybe free) WiFi
>> at all of there stores...
>>
>> Does anyone know anything about this?
>>
>> YUA
>> California
>
> The talk that I heard was that Walmart is experimenting with providing
> fixed broadband wireless internet using wireless. I don't mean a hotspot
> in the stores, I mean trying to blanket the surrounding areas with
> wireless signal. I don't imagine that they're thinking of doing it for
> free. If they can't find a way to make it profitable, they won't do it.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 31, 2004 10:58:04 PM

Thank you Jeff...

By-the-way how's the weather down south?

I'm up by Santa Rosa, and it's 68 and clear.

YUA

> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:16:29 GMT, "Your Uncle Albert"
> <yourunclealbert@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I was told that very soon, Wal-Mart is going to offer (maybe free) WiFi at
>>all of there stores...
>>
>>Does anyone know anything about this?
>
> Yeah, but you got the story screwed up. Walmart is considering going
> into the wireless business using 802.16 WiMax, not commodity Wi-Fi.
> There was no suggestion of offering anything for free. They want to
> offer it as some sort of telecom service to customers surrounding
> their store. That was August and I haven't seen any action since.
> See:
> http://www.thefeature.com/article?articleid=100964
> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20040809/2338238.shtml
> http://blogger.iftf.org/Future/000484.html

> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 31, 2004 10:58:05 PM

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:58:04 GMT, "Your Uncle Albert"
<yourunclealbert@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thank you Jeff...
>By-the-way how's the weather down south?

It's not down. I'm at 950ft elevation. It's *UP* south.

>I'm up by Santa Rosa, and it's 68 and clear.
>YUA

Same here. Very nice day. However, I've been inside since Weds. I
caught a cold and pounding a keyboard is about the only thing I can do
that doesn't require thinking or moving. I should be well enough
tomorrow to go outside. Make sure you virus scanner is working so you
don't catch my cold.

Meanwhile, direct from Santa Cruz...
http://ihwy.com/hwy9/forecast.html
http://www.weather.com/weather/local/95060

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 1, 2004 1:40:00 AM

Your Uncle Albert wrote:
> That would be nice if the price they might charge would match the low cost
> of in-there-store prices..
> As you know many of the companies that charge for WiFi service need someone
> like Wal-Mart to
> bring the price down, since all of the other are ALL way over prices...

Yeah, but do you want your WiFi source to be from China?

--
Steve
Purple Heart Veterans against BuSh and the Chickenhawks

Re-defeat Bush/Pinocheney in 2004
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 1, 2004 1:40:01 AM

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:40:00 GMT, Steve Caple
<stevecaple@commoncast.net> wrote:

>Your Uncle Albert wrote:
>> That would be nice if the price they might charge would match the low cost
>> of in-there-store prices..
>> As you know many of the companies that charge for WiFi service need someone
>> like Wal-Mart to
>> bring the price down, since all of the other are ALL way over prices...

>Yeah, but do you want your WiFi source to be from China?

It already is. Almost all of the bottom of the line Wi-Fi hardware
and software comes from China, Korea, or Taiwan. If you lookup the
FCC ID on the FCC web pile:
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/Gener...
and dig through the test reports, you'll find that almost no wireless
hardware is manufactured domestically.

Welcome to the global economy.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 4, 2004 1:18:14 AM

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in

> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:40:00 GMT, Steve Caple
><stevecaple@commoncast.net> wrote:
>
>>Your Uncle Albert wrote:
>>> That would be nice if the price they might charge would match the
>>> low cost of in-there-store prices..
>>> As you know many of the companies that charge for WiFi service need
>>> someone like Wal-Mart to
>>> bring the price down, since all of the other are ALL way over
>>> prices...
>
>>Yeah, but do you want your WiFi source to be from China?
>
> It already is. Almost all of the bottom of the line Wi-Fi hardware
> and software comes from China, Korea, or Taiwan. If you lookup the
> FCC ID on the FCC web pile:
> https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/Gener...
> and dig through the test reports, you'll find that almost no wireless
> hardware is manufactured domestically.

Is there ANY mass produced consumer electronics product manufactured in the
US anymore?

Sometimes it's just really hard to 'Buy American'.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 4, 2004 9:53:25 AM

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 22:18:14 -0600, DanS
<t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote:

>Is there ANY mass produced consumer electronics product manufactured in the
>US anymore?

No.

>Sometimes it's just really hard to 'Buy American'.

There a few web sites that offer made in America type products.
http://www.buyamericanmart.com/index.html
http://www.howtobuyamerican.com
http://www.madeinusa.org
It's fairly depressing with almost no consumer electronics listed. To
the best of my knowledge, very little in todays computers, other than
sophisticated or initial production components, are made in the USA.

The problem is that if there really were consumer electronics totally
made in the USA, the price would be so high that nobody would buy
them. I've costed out and reverse engineered some imported electronic
products and found that the price of the completed imported product,
was less than the parts cost in the USA.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
a b F Wireless
November 4, 2004 5:49:36 PM

In article <Xns9596ED95FAEBidispcom@216.196.97.142>,
t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t says...
> Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in
>
> > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:40:00 GMT, Steve Caple
> ><stevecaple@commoncast.net> wrote:
> >

> Is there ANY mass produced consumer electronics product manufactured in the
> US anymore?
>
> Sometimes it's just really hard to 'Buy American'.

Steve,

I worked in engineering in the consumer electronics industry in the
60's, and all TV's, for example, and most of everything else, was
manfactured in the USA. The primary reason for moving everything off-
shore was the initial price competition from Japan, but primarily the
demand from American consumers for low prices for high-tech equipment.
Two of the most complex, and technical, products available are the
"simple" TV and VCR. And yet, today they are available at give-away
prices. You can't even afford to replace any major component in either
should something fail - it's cheaper to buy another.

There are mass-produced electronics still made here in the USA, but for
niche markets, certainly not the "consumer electronics market."

Don
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 5, 2004 10:34:39 PM

<SNIP>

> There are mass-produced electronics still made here in the USA, but
> for niche markets, certainly not the "consumer electronics market."
>
> Don

Which is why I think I specifically mentioned 'consumer' goods. I actually
work for an OEM wireless data communication's company, and we fill a tiny
niche market, mostly SCADA and remote monitoring, in narrow band (read low
bandwidth) licensed oddball frequencies. It's truly the only market where
our product's can survive. Market's like this are passed up by large
manufacturer's due to the low volume and specialized nature. Where else are
you going to get >$2k for a serial-based 19.2k baud point-to-point radio
set (?). (rhetorical question)

Regards,

DanS
!