ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I was wondering if anyone has graphics experience using the i945G's DMA 950 with a Pentium D processor. The DMA 950 is of course not fully DirectX 9 compliant since it doesn't include vertex shaders instead off-loading it to the processor. It occured to me that this probably wouldn't be much of a problem with the new dual core processors. Since games only use 1 core anyways, the other core could be dedicated to the DMA 950's vertex calculations. The bandwidth bottleneck also wouldn't be that bad with the new DDR2 667MHz RAM. Has anyone tried this configuration and have comments on the performace? I was planning to get something like this for my son so he can buy his own graphics card if he wants to play games.

endyen

Splendid
Noone ever uses Intel's onboard graphics for games. It is limited to 2D functionality.
Nor is a D processor a good gaming chip. Most games are single threaded. The extra heat and cost are just a waste.
Since Intel has had so much trouble with heat lately, most enthusiasts have switched to Amd processors. They are especially good for gaming.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Just to add to that, a modern CPU makes a (comparatively) terrible GPU, so being Dual core won't save it in the slightest.

You can get Graphics cards for $50 that will make the on-board graphics laughable.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Another addition: DDR2-667 ram is nice and fast, but the Celeron is still limited in bandwidth because of its fsb - 133 I think... (aka 533 being Qdr or quad-pumped).

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
He'd be better off getting a 2-year-old system that was designed for light gaming.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>