Mobos with AGP and PCI-e

<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050131/index.html" target="_new">This article</A> says that there is. It's not AMD, but it does exist.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have one. ALL of the boards with both types of slots CURRENTLY on the market don't really have AGP, they have a PCI slot connected to an AGP connector! With a HUGE performance penalty.

The ONLY chipset that supports both is the ULi M1695. I have a reference board here, retail boards should be comming in a month.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
But that's not real AGP. I have the only board with both PCIe and full AGP8x. Retail boards comming soon.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Supposedly only for the Asian market, because of brand loyalty in the Americas and Europe. The chipset is the ULi M1695, ULi just spun off of ALi. ALi's former memory controller issues have been solved by AMD, when the memory controller was moved to the CPU.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The AGP8x performance is well documented as being comparable to the native controller of nForce3 250 series chipsets.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If Jimmy can waste money on Intel, the electric bill to power it, and the cooling bill to make his room livable again, then Jimmy has the resources to toss his new 6800U AGP and get a 7800GTX!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ooops, I should say, if Jimmy doesn't care about performance, he can get an Intel board with onboard graphics!

LOL!

Of course you were right about the AGP performance hit...Prozac said there was no such thing and I was just informing Jimmy to the contrary. I never said it was a good option right now, but it does exist.

Wusy - I would have raised the BS flag responded the same way. Ignoring a bad technology won't make it go away. Speaking out as consumers and technophiles is the best way to try and change to bring about change in the industry. Should I have said that the tech sticks in its current form - yes - but I'm not going to simply ignore it.

G

<A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/2005/computex2005/day0/p1.htm" target="_new">Linky1</A>
<A HREF="http://www.asrock.com/news/20050530.htm
" target="_new">and 2</A>

Im taking over Edyen's job!!!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh god, you linked to THAT board, are you a moron? Everyone but you seems to know that the board you linked to doesn't have AGP. No, it has an AGP SLOT linked to a PCI bus, and its performance is horrid. I mean really bad, as in your high end P4 running worse than a 2 year old low-end system with a decent card.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Come on wusy, come to the dark side...go to <A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com" target="_new">http://www.sysopt.com</A> and read my latest review...on an ECS board! Bwuahahahaha!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You know that coating they put on boards? I think it's kind of brownish clear stuff...anyway, it looks like ECS simply uses a purple coating.