Soundstorm Problem..

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I recently managed to (finally) resurrect my old EPoX 8RDA+ board (a few dodgy capacitors), and I've used it to build a PC for my flatmate, using some parts I've had kicking around for a while. Complete Spec:

EPox 8RDA+ rev 1.1 (nforce2 Ultra (NON 400))
XP1700+ @ 2Ghz (200x10), 1.45V
512Mb DDR 400 2-2-2-5 (corsair PC3200LL DC kit)
64Mb Geforce2 Ultra
old Seagate 30Gb HDD
Some old 200W PSU (Weak, but system appears to not have PSU-related problems)
Old ATX case
Windows XP Pro SP2.
Running latest mobo drivers from Epox (2.03+3.34, whatever that means?)
running forceware 5306 Drivers (Old card, so I thought I'd get older drivers as newer ones would be bloated out with stuff the old card simply won't use)

It's running a fairly crappy XP cooler, but my ol' 1700+ is a great chip, so the low Vcore means it doesn't need a beast of a cooler (I used to run it at 2Ghz/1.4V when I was using it, so I'll probably drop the Vcore a little soon, but was making sure to rule out problems).

The problem I have is that it appears to have weird intermittent sound problems while running Rainbow Six 3: Raven shield. I haven't gotten around to trying any other games as yet, so it could just be the game but it seems like a 'typical' soundstorm-type problem. Basically most of the sounds seem ok, but gunfire is intermittent and seems to lag behind what's displayed on screen. Basically my options are these:

1)It's just that game, so forget about it
2)Drivers are crappy, try another version
3)There is a hardware problem (maybe I broke something when replacing caps?)
4)Give Soundstorm the finger, and install a SB Live! card I have instead.

I'd rather not do option 4 if I could avoid it, as Soundstorm is superior (when working), but I'll do that one if I can't get it working in the next couple of days.

This is a clean install of XP, from an install with SP2 integrated, and has nothing on it apart from the drivers listed and the Raven Shield game.

Any thoughts people?

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Hm...I would try other games first, if other games have no problem, so it's Option 1. If not, I guess I'll install the SB Live! to see, if it fixes the problem..so yeah..soundstorm is probably having some problems

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I know it has issues almost exactly like this with Win98 (I've experienced them myself in the past), but always thought using XP was a decent cure...

Well, I'll try some other games, but I don't hold out much hope. I won't waste too much time fiddling with it...

It's just a shame that the onboard audio doesn't work after I went to the trouble of ripping a hole in the back to make room for the sound jacks :lol: ...... Like I said, it's an old case - it didn't have a removable back panel so all the holes didn't quite fit.. It's not like I'm selling it, so neatness/Build quality isn't an issue here! I'll have to do some more drilling/filing when I Get a new PSU (It'll get a Geforce4 Ti4600 soon, so 200W will likely be nowhere near enough) As it doesn't have the correct Mounting holes for an ATX PSU.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like the old Gateway ATX case. You can see one modified for use with a full sized power supply and removable backplate in my Opus MT200 review at Sysopt. I used the Gateway case for dimensional comparison, since most people have seen one before.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Well, it seems it's NOT soundstorm. It seems to be a network-related issue with that game. In single-player mode it seems fine, and in fact whichever PC is a client in a network game has this problem - when I switched to hosting the game on the problem box my A64 rig started suffering in the same way.

Crash:
I don't know how you store all this information in that head of yours.... It is indeed an old Gateway case.

I had a quick look on Sysopt, and couldn't find your review - you got a link, or a suggestion as to where it is on the site? I couldn't see a 'Search Reviews' section or anything.

---

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This is stuff I do every day, to make a few dollars here and a few dollars there, even with a university degree I'm still scavaging...

<A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/opusmt200/index.html" target="_new">http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/opusmt200/index.html</A>

Remember that regardless of the plastic, Gateway had the same steel underneath (ie, there are several different versions of this case). Yes, I painted it black.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
It's either a problem with just that game and it's network code, or there's some sort of problem with the network - it seems fine for everything bar that game, although I haven't tried any other games. The sound goes crappy on whichever PC is the client when running a network game only (It's fine in single player)

...I see you've replaced the P.E. 9800Pro with a GF2 Ultra
Yup - now <i>that's</i> an upgrade eh? :lol: .. Seen any voltmod guides for geforce2 Ultras?

It's going to get a Ti4600 when I get a replacement card at work. I'm currently using the 4600 in my work PC because I make use of dual displays, but I'll get work to buy a separate PCI card so I can use it with any old crappy AGP one, and can take <i>my</i> card home for use in that PC. Will be a reasonable gaming rig when that's done!

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
LOL.. This is a bit of a saga...

Today I received the new AGP/PCI cards at work, so I could swap out the Ti4600.

I pulled it out, and was in the process of shoving in the replacement cards, when a co-worker pointed at the card and said something like "those don't look too healthy..." I looked at the card and sure enough, 3 capacitors looked <i>really</i> bad... like bulging and leaking all over the place (the co-worker is fairly clueless, yet noticed them immediately - which gives some idea as to how bad they were). So I've had to replace <i>those</i> too!

It's amazing the card was working at all IMO. The caps I had to replace on the mobo didn't look anything like as bad as these - and those made the mobo completely dead! I think it's because I was basically using it only for 2D work, so wasn't pushing it hard in the slightest. my guess is I would have seen errors on it if I'd tried gaming or anything...

So now I have a PC which uses a Motherboard which required replacement caps, using a Gfx card that required replacement caps... Almost seems fitting...

---

TRENDING THREADS