Sign in with
Your question

What is the best 939 mobo? PCI express, nforce 4

Last response: in Motherboards
July 5, 2005 5:44:36 PM

Which is the best mobo for a 939 system?
The system would have a bargain AMD chip in it and an nvidia 6600GT. It would be for gaming. I think on board audio would be nice as i could avoid buying a soundcard. I would want a gig of memory for it too, cheap but good ;) 

Hope to hear from you.
July 5, 2005 6:28:32 PM

For the money the Epox nforce 4 ultra.
The DFI lanparty is better but also more expensive.
The epox onboard audio is pretty good.

<font color=orange>Anything good in life is either illegal immoral or fattening<font color=orange>
July 5, 2005 8:57:37 PM

All of them have onboard audio though... or at least all of them that I have looked at.
Related resources
July 5, 2005 9:36:10 PM

Does this mean you no longer need a soundcard such as the Audigy2? My current PC has a SoundBlaster 5.1 with Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media speakers.

scrapser
July 5, 2005 9:47:53 PM

I've got a set of those Klipsch and they are sweet!

July 5, 2005 9:55:33 PM

It means exactly that. You no longer need a sound card. Some sound cards will give you better options for sound, or better quality (I guess, but I never can tell), but the onboard sound is good enough for me on every board I have built recently.
July 5, 2005 10:11:28 PM

The onboard sound is good enough, that you won't notice the difference unless you're an audiophile, but if your audio card is a very good one by using it you won't have to use your CPU for audio processing.

<font color=orange>Anything good in life is either illegal immoral or fattening<font color=orange>
July 5, 2005 10:50:54 PM

Thanks. I guess I'll put my SB into the system to maximize the CPU efficiency...same as using my old ethernet card as I asked on another thread. I'm looking at the DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 Ultra D.
July 5, 2005 10:54:59 PM

Its a nice board... you won't be disapointed.
July 7, 2005 7:36:12 PM

Quote:
Does this mean you no longer need a soundcard such as the Audigy2?

Yes and No. There is a lot to take into consideration. If you only have 2 low/mid quality speakers or headphones and you are not a "sound freak", onboard sound will be sufficient.

But onboard sound often have some disadvantage. My personnal experience...

I had an A7N78X board (non-deluxe), I used the on-board sound (AC97) for awhile, but I always had background noise and some games were generating "pop" or "click" sounds at random. The background nois came from not high-quality CODEC (digital to analog converter) and/or from no well isolated audio circuit on the motherboard. I couldn't do anything about it. The pop/clicks are often related to game code or drivers, this is often fixed with Audio Driver updates.

I play World Of WarCraft since day 1, at the time I was still using my on-board sound, but I was very annoyed by some pop/click that were occuring in-game. I decided to plug my "old" Sound Blaster Live! in the PC miracle!!! No more pop/click and a better ambience through better sound effect (echo, reverb, etc...).

Then I bought my Athlon 64 with on-baord audio (see my sig. for mobo model) and I decided to not use the on-board audio for 2 major reason : SB Live! drivers seems to work better with World Of WarCraft AND the CPU load of the SB Live! is lower.

As the other users mentionnend, the latest Sound Blaster cards offers 24bits/96KHz resolution, 7.1 channels, etc... No onboard audio for AMD offers that much. The latest Intel Chipset offers Hi-Fi Audio and I think they surpass ALL on-board audio AMD offering. And a last thing, I know that one AMD mobo maker offer a SB Live! based on-board audio (but I can't remember the manufacter/model).

-
GA-K8NF-9 / <b><font color=green>Athlon 64 3200+</font color=green> @ 3800+</b>
Infineon DDR400 (CL2.5) 2x512Megs
<font color=green>GeForce 6600GT 128Megs</font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.getfirefox.com" target="_new">Get Firefox!</A>
!