Tri-mode is how necessary is it in Los Angeles?

Tags:
  • Verizon
  • Internet Service Providers
  • Product
Last response: in Network Providers
September 3, 2004 1:53:30 PM

My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500 which
has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.

I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I don't
seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't know
if analog is really necessary in my case.

90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
County area.

The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.

For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

More about : tri mode los angeles

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 1:53:31 PM

"C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
which
> has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
>
> I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
don't
> seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
know
> if analog is really necessary in my case.
>
> 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
> County area.
>
> The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
>
> For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

The areas you mention are all digital, the only problem may be your usage
outside those metro areas. If you ever go extremely far outside those areas
(usually 20-30 miles outside of the city limits, like camping or hiking up
in the mountains), you may run into analog, but if that's not your lifestyle
(your post above doesn't give any exceptions), you probably won't need it,
and the reduced weight/size and increased battery life of the all digitals
make it much more pleasurable to carry.

Just a thought for you, while I am normally in digital areas (same ones you
mention LA/OC/LV/SD), and do the digital data/tethered to a laptop, once in
a while I go on my friends boat up lake mead/colorado river, and that's
analog area. For those (very infrequent, twice in 4 years) times, I picked
up an old tri-mode phone on Ebay for $12.50 (even was a Kyocera 3035 so I
could use the chargers/cases/cables/etc I already had), activate it before
going on the boat (no big deal or major financial loss if it goes
overboard), and then switch back when I return to town. (you can go to the
verizon website and switch ESN's for free).

PS, they don't have the LG-4400 anymore (which was a tri mode), but they do
have the LG-4600 now (dual mode, all digital, with speakerphone), either you
got the number wrong or haven't been to a store for about a year when they
came out with new ones and changed model numbers :)  <--- that's a grin..
September 3, 2004 5:02:14 PM

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 09:53:30 GMT, "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500 which
>has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
>
>I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I don't
>seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't know
>if analog is really necessary in my case.
>
>90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
>County area.
>
>The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
>
>For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

For your kind of use so called "tri mode" wouldn't be necessary.
Analog's only really necessary if you find yourself in rural non built
up areas. The areas you mention you should do just fine with digital
only remembering that the occasional times you may be in remote rural
areas you may not have the coverage you need.

And I'm not really sure why Verizon refers to it as "tri mode" since
you're only using either digital or analog. Tri mode is not the same
as tri-band. Tri-mode would be a phone that does analog AMPS, CDMA
and another technology such as TDMA or GSM.
September 3, 2004 5:34:12 PM

Joseph wrote:

> And I'm not really sure why Verizon refers to it as "tri mode" since
> you're only using either digital or analog. Tri mode is not the same
> as tri-band. Tri-mode would be a phone that does analog AMPS, CDMA
> and another technology such as TDMA or GSM.

Verizon refers to it as tri-mode because so does everyone else. :)

It's as useless a term as "PCS".

I will concur that tri-mode probably isn't necessary in the city. It isn't even
really necessary even up here in the sticks, where the cities are relatively
small (under 100K people each, typically about 60K-80K).

September 3, 2004 6:00:36 PM

I disagree with the others <G> tri-mode is a must.

I live in Orange County and spend a lot of time in Los Angeles County. I
just got a new tri-mode phone that generates a loud beep whenever it
switches to analog because there is no digital signal in the area or because
local digital cell sites are tied up. Since getting it, I've noted that is
beeps quite often as it switches back and forth to ensure continuous
coverage. It never hurts to have the extra capability. I'd stick with
tri-mode.

"C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
which
> has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
>
> I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
don't
> seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
know
> if analog is really necessary in my case.
>
> 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
> County area.
>
> The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
>
> For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 6:51:58 PM

My daughter lives in Redondo Beach and works in El Segundo with a digital
only Samsung 530 phone. She's had no problems around the area there. I've
travelled all around LA & Orange county with good coverage, but my phone is
tri-mode. I don't recall ever switching to analog in that area. I cant
speak to the Las Vegas or San Diego coverage.

"C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
which
> has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
>
> I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
don't
> seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
know
> if analog is really necessary in my case.
>
> 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
> County area.
>
> The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
>
> For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

September 3, 2004 7:13:59 PM

You will find that the digital only phones work better in keeping a digital
signal. In WI there are areas that have nothing but analog yet, believe it
or not, and there are people that use digital only phones with no problems.
They either stay in the populated areas or never hit the areas with analog.

--
All Email is scanned and
declared Virus free by
"C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
> which
> has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
>
> I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
> don't
> seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
> know
> if analog is really necessary in my case.
>
> 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
> County area.
>
> The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
>
> For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 7:44:09 PM

Don't even give it a thought. You will be fine. We live in Orange County
and drive to Las Vegas every now and then. You will have service throughout
the entire area including Vegas. This summer, we drove to Yosemite National
Park and had service almost all of the time during our trip there and back.
We had marginal service or no service while we were in the park, but that is
the only time that I have not had a signal in a very long time.

As to the 4500. I had the 4500 and switched to the Motorola V710. Good
phone but not as good as the 4500. Yesterday, I switched to the Treo 600
but switched back within hours. Good phone but the buttons were really too
small to be functional. So here I am back with the 4500. It is the best
phone that I have ever used, voice quality, signal acquisition, features,
etc, ect, ect.

Bruce D. Brown
"C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
> which
> has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
>
> I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
> don't
> seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
> know
> if analog is really necessary in my case.
>
> 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
> County area.
>
> The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
>
> For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

September 3, 2004 11:42:44 PM

We had a similar experience as yours in Yosemite in that we had "no service"
at all there. That was disappointing because I was told that my digital
coverage there w/ Verizon would be as good as my old TDMA coverage on AT&T.
My friend was able to get coverage with her tri-mode Motorola Phone (720 or
730) on Verizon while in Yosemite. So, consequently I just traded my wife's
LG 4500 in for an Audiovox 8900 which is trimode. She also likes the fact
that she can read the screen without putting on glasses; that wasn't
possible w/ her 4500. I also got my daughter an 8900 and she likes it. As
for me, I'm sticking w/ the LG 4500. The speaker phone is excellent, and I
find it to be, overall, a great phone!

"Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D j0_c.25857$Qa4.21578@twister.socal.rr.com...
> Don't even give it a thought. You will be fine. We live in Orange County
> and drive to Las Vegas every now and then. You will have service
throughout
> the entire area including Vegas. This summer, we drove to Yosemite
National
> Park and had service almost all of the time during our trip there and
back.
> We had marginal service or no service while we were in the park, but that
is
> the only time that I have not had a signal in a very long time.
>
> As to the 4500. I had the 4500 and switched to the Motorola V710. Good
> phone but not as good as the 4500. Yesterday, I switched to the Treo 600
> but switched back within hours. Good phone but the buttons were really
too
> small to be functional. So here I am back with the 4500. It is the best
> phone that I have ever used, voice quality, signal acquisition, features,
> etc, ect, ect.
>
> Bruce D. Brown
> "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
> > which
> > has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
> >
> > I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
> > don't
> > seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
> > know
> > if analog is really necessary in my case.
> >
> > 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North
Orange
> > County area.
> >
> > The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
> >
> > For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 12:48:44 AM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

*snip*

> PS, they don't have the LG-4400 anymore (which was a tri mode), but they
do
> have the LG-4600 now (dual mode, all digital, with speakerphone), either
you
> got the number wrong or haven't been to a store for about a year when they
> came out with new ones and changed model numbers :)  <--- that's a grin..

FYI, I was in an area VZW corp store yesterday looking at phones and they
had no 4600 only the 4500. OK phone but I like my 4400 better. I would have
liked the 3200 pretty well if it had an external display. Now the
7000....mmm...definitely considering. I also checked the website for the
DC/Balt region and same thing. No 4600 listed only the 4500. As I have
learned, these things vary by market FWIW

--
JennL
Anonymous

"ModernMiko" <modernmiko@NOverizon.net> wrote in message
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> *snip*
I also checked the website for the
> DC/Balt region and same thing. No 4600 listed only the 4500. As I have
> learned, these things vary by market FWIW
>
> --
> JennL

Definately Market oriented, while I do have a Baltimore phone
number/contract, I am currently in Las vegas and looked at both their store
here and on the web site for this zip code, and they only have/show the 4600
(west coast zips like 90023/89121/92101 show different phones than my home
zip of 21207). I mainly said 4600 cuz he said he was out west here, so I
picked a model number shown by west zips.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 1:05:48 AM

Peter,

I was at the Verizon Store last night in Huntington Beach and they had the
4500 and also the 4600. He did get the number right. It is a great phone
and is the only phone that Verizon sells that has "digi-dial" It is a great
feature, especially when you are driving. All you have to do is say, call
714-593-xxxx and the phone dials your number.

Bruce D. Brown
"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
> which
>> has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
>>
>> I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
> don't
>> seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
> know
>> if analog is really necessary in my case.
>>
>> 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North
>> Orange
>> County area.
>>
>> The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
>>
>> For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?
>>

> The areas you mention are all digital, the only problem may be your usage
> outside those metro areas. If you ever go extremely far outside those
> areas
> (usually 20-30 miles outside of the city limits, like camping or hiking up
> in the mountains), you may run into analog, but if that's not your
> lifestyle
> (your post above doesn't give any exceptions), you probably won't need it,
> and the reduced weight/size and increased battery life of the all digitals
> make it much more pleasurable to carry.
>
> Just a thought for you, while I am normally in digital areas (same ones
> you
> mention LA/OC/LV/SD), and do the digital data/tethered to a laptop, once
> in
> a while I go on my friends boat up lake mead/colorado river, and that's
> analog area. For those (very infrequent, twice in 4 years) times, I picked
> up an old tri-mode phone on Ebay for $12.50 (even was a Kyocera 3035 so I
> could use the chargers/cases/cables/etc I already had), activate it before
> going on the boat (no big deal or major financial loss if it goes
> overboard), and then switch back when I return to town. (you can go to the
> verizon website and switch ESN's for free).
>
> PS, they don't have the LG-4400 anymore (which was a tri mode), but they
> do
> have the LG-4600 now (dual mode, all digital, with speakerphone), either
> you
> got the number wrong or haven't been to a store for about a year when they
> came out with new ones and changed model numbers :)  <--- that's a grin..

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 1:05:49 AM

Sounds like it would work pretty good with my Jabra Freespeak (wireless
earpiece/headset). Right now I can only call someone in my phonebook (no
dialing of other numbers). I wonder if it does the push one button/send/ask
for # to dial (cover closed thing/like some clamshells, or in the carrying
case like some candy bar phones)? That would be way handy (with the wireless
headset) for hands free.

> [...]
picked
> > up an old tri-mode phone on Ebay for $12.50 (even was a Kyocera 3035 so
> > could use the chargers/cases/cables/etc I already had), activate it
before
> > going on the boat (no big deal or major financial loss if it goes
> > overboard), and then switch back when I return to town. (you can go to
the
> > verizon website and switch ESN's for free).
> >
> > PS, they don't have the LG-4400 anymore (which was a tri mode), but they
> > do
> > have the LG-4600 now (dual mode, all digital, with speakerphone), either
> > you
> > got the number wrong or haven't been to a store for about a year when
they
> > came out with new ones and changed model numbers :)  <--- that's a grin..

September 4, 2004 1:20:45 AM

"Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote (in part):

> Joseph wrote:
>
> > And I'm not really sure why Verizon refers to it as "tri mode" since
> > you're only using either digital or analog. Tri mode is not the same
> > as tri-band. Tri-mode would be a phone that does analog AMPS, CDMA
> > and another technology such as TDMA or GSM.
>
> Verizon refers to it as tri-mode because so does everyone else. :)
>
> It's as useless a term as "PCS".

It's not useless at all. Tri-mode means analog 800 MHz, digital 800 MHz, and
digital 1900 MHz. It's two modes in one band, and one mode in the other.
Hence, the "Tri-mode" designation makes sense.

--
D.J., N8DO; FMCA 147762
dj[underscore]osborn at yahoo dot com

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 21:20:45 GMT, "D.J. Osborn"
<dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:

>It's not useless at all. Tri-mode means analog 800 MHz, digital 800 MHz, and
>digital 1900 MHz. It's two modes in one band, and one mode in the other.
>Hence, the "Tri-mode" designation makes sense.

Mode is not the same thing as band! It's more properly dual mode
(analog/digital) dual band (800/1900.)

September 4, 2004 1:36:53 AM

> "ModernMiko" <modernmiko@NOverizon.net> wrote in message
> > "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > *snip*
> I also checked the website for the
> > DC/Balt region and same thing. No 4600 listed only the 4500. As I have
> > learned, these things vary by market FWIW
> >
> > --
> > JennL
> >

> Definately Market oriented, while I do have a Baltimore phone
> number/contract, I am currently in Las vegas and looked at both their
store
> here and on the web site for this zip code, and they only have/show the
4600
> (west coast zips like 90023/89121/92101 show different phones than my home
> zip of 21207). I mainly said 4600 cuz he said he was out west here, so I
> picked a model number shown by west zips.

No harm no foul by any means. Just wanted to point out to the OP that he
might have seen the 4500 cause they are available in some markets.

--
JennL
Anonymous

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o j9ij0hqsd9gdml1sqq9n0udqn2p1bbjqn@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 21:20:45 GMT, "D.J. Osborn"
> <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:
>
> >It's not useless at all. Tri-mode means analog 800 MHz, digital 800 MHz,
and
> >digital 1900 MHz. It's two modes in one band, and one mode in the other.
> >Hence, the "Tri-mode" designation makes sense.
>
> Mode is not the same thing as band! It's more properly dual mode
> (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900.)

AGREE!
Now can you get the "Cell Phone Companies" to change to the correct usage?
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 1:58:51 AM

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o j9ij0hqsd9gdml1sqq9n0udqn2p1bbjqn@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 21:20:45 GMT, "D.J. Osborn"
> <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:
>
> >It's not useless at all. Tri-mode means analog 800 MHz, digital 800 MHz,
and
> >digital 1900 MHz. It's two modes in one band, and one mode in the other.
> >Hence, the "Tri-mode" designation makes sense.
>
> Mode is not the same thing as band! It's more properly dual mode
> (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900.)

On second thought it is actually dual mode (analog/CDMA) dual band
(800/1900)
September 4, 2004 2:02:38 AM

Yeah, I think it's a good idea to have the analog feature just in case you
need it. To be stuck somewhere with no service can be a real pain. Since I
prefer the LG 4500 (non-analog: dual mode) and virtually everywhere I go on
business and personal matters, it works I'm sticking with it. When we go
out of town or across country, ie, Vermont, or wherever, my wife feels
secure in knowing she should be able to get a connection, at least most of
the time.

"Michael" <mpmorgan(no spam)@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I disagree with the others <G> tri-mode is a must.
>
> I live in Orange County and spend a lot of time in Los Angeles County. I
> just got a new tri-mode phone that generates a loud beep whenever it
> switches to analog because there is no digital signal in the area or
because
> local digital cell sites are tied up. Since getting it, I've noted that
is
> beeps quite often as it switches back and forth to ensure continuous
> coverage. It never hurts to have the extra capability. I'd stick with
> tri-mode.
>

> "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
> which
> > has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
> >
> > I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
> don't
> > seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
> know
> > if analog is really necessary in my case.
> >
> > 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North
Orange
> > County area.
> >
> > The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
> >
> > For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 4:11:41 AM

"C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
which
> has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
>
> I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
don't
> seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
know
> if analog is really necessary in my case.
>
> 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
> County area.
>
> The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
>
> For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

I live in North OC, and I just got the LG-VX3200 tri-mode CDMA phone. I made
sure the phone would be tri-mode because when I had an all digital phone I
could only make calls standing in the South-East corner of my room standing
on a chair. This is probably an unfair comparison since it was Cingular with
a Nokia tiny bar phone vs. Verizon. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed a problem
with Verizon's all digital phones.

I did notice tonight that my phone was in analog mode for a moment. It
rarely says it's in the "D" mode, and mostly only says 1x.

You can read about my thoughts on the phone itself I got here:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/scootgirl/3588.html

Karen
http://scootgirl.com/
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 5:28:31 AM

"C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<uaXZc.11150$QJ3.10433@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...
> My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500 which
> has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
>
> I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I don't
> seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't know
> if analog is really necessary in my case.
>
> 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
> County area.
>
> The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
>
> For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

Verizon has excellent digital CDMA coverage throughout all of
California's major metro areas, so I doubt you really "NEED" a
tri-mode phone if you will mostly use the phone in LA, San Diego, and
Las Vegas metro areas.

But...

Unless you know of a Verizon plan that charges less per month for a
Digital Only phone vs. a Tri-Mode phone, why would you want to buy a
phone that is not capable of taking full advantage of all the extended
network coverage that Verizon offers with its Tri-Mode phones?
Verizon customers with Digital Only phones are paying the same price
per month for less coverage than Verizon customers with Tri-Mode
phones. Paying the same price for less service is usually not a very
good deal.

As a couple of people have mentioned in previous posts, some popular
recreational areas like Yosemite Valley, does not have CMDA digital
coverage, but you can still use your Verizon Tri-Mode phone in
Yosemite Valley in analog mode.

Now you might not visit any place in the next five years that doesn't
have CDMA wireless coverage, but again why pay the same monthly price
for less service coverage?

- Peter
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 6:40:30 AM

Believe it or not, there are areas in WI that have no wireless service
at all.
The same applies to several other states as well.

HotRod wrote:

> You will find that the digital only phones work better in keeping a digital
> signal. In WI there are areas that have nothing but analog yet, believe it
> or not, and there are people that use digital only phones with no problems.
> They either stay in the populated areas or never hit the areas with analog.

September 4, 2004 7:02:04 AM

You would not think it possible in 2004, would you.

--
All Email is scanned and
declared Virus free by
"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Believe it or not, there are areas in WI that have no wireless service at
> all.
> The same applies to several other states as well.
>

> HotRod wrote:
>
>> You will find that the digital only phones work better in keeping a
>> digital signal. In WI there are areas that have nothing but analog yet,
>> believe it or not, and there are people that use digital only phones with
>> no problems. They either stay in the populated areas or never hit the
>> areas with analog.

September 4, 2004 10:19:59 AM

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:44:47 -0500, "IMHO" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:o j9ij0hqsd9gdml1sqq9n0udqn2p1bbjqn@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 21:20:45 GMT, "D.J. Osborn"
>> <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >It's not useless at all. Tri-mode means analog 800 MHz, digital 800 MHz,
>and
>> >digital 1900 MHz. It's two modes in one band, and one mode in the other.
>> >Hence, the "Tri-mode" designation makes sense.
>>
>> Mode is not the same thing as band! It's more properly dual mode
>> (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900.)
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>
>AGREE!
>Now can you get the "Cell Phone Companies" to change to the correct usage?

Probably not.
September 4, 2004 11:36:24 AM

Peter Lawrence wrote:
> Verizon has excellent digital CDMA coverage throughout all of
> California's major metro areas, so I doubt you really "NEED" a
> tri-mode phone if you will mostly use the phone in LA, San Diego, and
> Las Vegas metro areas.
>
> But...
>
> Unless you know of a Verizon plan that charges less per month for a
> Digital Only phone vs. a Tri-Mode phone, why would you want to buy a
> phone that is not capable of taking full advantage of all the extended
> network coverage that Verizon offers with its Tri-Mode phones?
> Verizon customers with Digital Only phones are paying the same price
> per month for less coverage than Verizon customers with Tri-Mode
> phones. Paying the same price for less service is usually not a very
> good deal.

If you go to Laughlin (since we're talking about Las Vegas), you may end up
roaming. If they still use the same carrier they did in West Central Arizona
last year, it's a TDMA carrier and although you get free roaming on AC and NAC
and National Single-rate, it'll be analog. You might end up in their coverage
area for a short time on the way to Laughlin.

They *should* let you roam digital on Sprint since Sprint has coverage in that
area, but...

September 4, 2004 1:09:00 PM

"Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote:

>I was at the Verizon Store last night in Huntington Beach and they had the
>4500 and also the 4600. He did get the number right. It is a great phone
>and is the only phone that Verizon sells that has "digi-dial" It is a great
>feature, especially when you are driving. All you have to do is say, call
>714-593-xxxx and the phone dials your number.

You can also do that with the 4500.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 3:50:57 PM

Perhaps if you can buy a digital only phone for a lot less, plus the
phone won't waste any time looking for an analogue signal.

Peter Lawrence wrote:
> "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<uaXZc.11150$QJ3.10433@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...
>
>>My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500 which
>>has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
>>
>>I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I don't
>>seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't know
>>if analog is really necessary in my case.
>>
>>90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
>>County area.
>>
>>The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
>>
>>For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?
>

> Verizon has excellent digital CDMA coverage throughout all of
> California's major metro areas, so I doubt you really "NEED" a
> tri-mode phone if you will mostly use the phone in LA, San Diego, and
> Las Vegas metro areas.
>
> But...
>
> Unless you know of a Verizon plan that charges less per month for a
> Digital Only phone vs. a Tri-Mode phone, why would you want to buy a
> phone that is not capable of taking full advantage of all the extended
> network coverage that Verizon offers with its Tri-Mode phones?
> Verizon customers with Digital Only phones are paying the same price
> per month for less coverage than Verizon customers with Tri-Mode
> phones. Paying the same price for less service is usually not a very
> good deal.
>
> As a couple of people have mentioned in previous posts, some popular
> recreational areas like Yosemite Valley, does not have CMDA digital
> coverage, but you can still use your Verizon Tri-Mode phone in
> Yosemite Valley in analog mode.
>
> Now you might not visit any place in the next five years that doesn't
> have CDMA wireless coverage, but again why pay the same monthly price
> for less service coverage?
>
> - Peter
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 5:48:09 PM

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 21:20:45 GMT, "D.J. Osborn"
> <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:
>
> >It's not useless at all. Tri-mode means analog 800 MHz, digital 800 MHz,
and
> >digital 1900 MHz. It's two modes in one band, and one mode in the other.
> >Hence, the "Tri-mode" designation makes sense.
>
> Mode is not the same thing as band! It's more properly dual mode
> (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900.)

If you bother to actually *read* what I wrote, then you'll see that I wrote
"two modes in one band, and one mode in the other." It's *quite* clear that
I know the difference between "mode" and "band."

Since "dual mode (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900)" is a very cumbersome
term, it's quite reasonable to simply call it "tri-mode."

--
D.J., N8DO; FMCA 147762
dj[underscore]osborn at yahoo dot com
September 4, 2004 5:48:10 PM

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 13:48:09 GMT, "D.J. Osborn"
<dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:

>Since "dual mode (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900)" is a very cumbersome
>term, it's quite reasonable to simply call it "tri-mode."

Fine. Just show me where there are three modes involved. AFAIKS it's
two modes digital and analog. It's not a different mode when you're
using a different frequency band even though companies like Verizon
have used the term for years it still is not right. Mode implies
using a different technology and not just a different frequency band.
Using 800 Mhz "cellular" is no different from using 1900 "PCS."
You're using the same technology only in different bands. There's no
different "mode" being used.

September 5, 2004 12:29:39 AM

Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<B_h_c.7094$w%6.2607@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

> Peter Lawrence wrote:
> >
> > "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
> > > which has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
> > >
> > > I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately,
> > > I don't seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode,
> > > so I don't know if analog is really necessary in my case.
> > >
> > > 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North
> > > Orange County area.
> > >
> > > The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
> > >
> > > For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?
> >
> > Verizon has excellent digital CDMA coverage throughout all of
> > California's major metro areas, so I doubt you really "NEED" a
> > tri-mode phone if you will mostly use the phone in LA, San Diego, and
> > Las Vegas metro areas.
> >
> > But...
> >
> > Unless you know of a Verizon plan that charges less per month for a
> > Digital Only phone vs. a Tri-Mode phone, why would you want to buy a
> > phone that is not capable of taking full advantage of all the extended
> > network coverage that Verizon offers with its Tri-Mode phones?
> > Verizon customers with Digital Only phones are paying the same price
> > per month for less coverage than Verizon customers with Tri-Mode
> > phones. Paying the same price for less service is usually not a very
> > good deal.
> >
> > As a couple of people have mentioned in previous posts, some popular
> > recreational areas like Yosemite Valley, does not have CMDA digital
> > coverage, but you can still use your Verizon Tri-Mode phone in
> > Yosemite Valley in analog mode.
> >
> > Now you might not visit any place in the next five years that doesn't
> > have CDMA wireless coverage, but again why pay the same monthly price
> > for less service coverage?
> >
> > - Peter
>

> Perhaps if you can buy a digital only phone for a lot less, plus the
> phone won't waste any time looking for an analogue signal.

Well if the digital only phones did cost a lot less than the Tri-Mode
phones, then I could see the value of selecting a digital only phone
over a Tri-Mode phone, but they don't cost less. Also Tri-Modes
phones don't waste time looking for an analog signal when a digital
CMDA signal is available, because the Tri-Mode phones are programmed
to search for the CDMA digital signal first, and only when they don't
find a Verizon CDMA digital signal do the Tri-Mode phones search for
an AMPS analog signal.

- Peter
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 2:21:23 AM

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 13:48:09 GMT, "D.J. Osborn"
> <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:
>
> >Since "dual mode (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900)" is a very
cumbersome
> >term, it's quite reasonable to simply call it "tri-mode."
>
> Fine. Just show me where there are three modes involved. AFAIKS it's
> two modes digital and analog. It's not a different mode when you're
> using a different frequency band even though companies like Verizon
> have used the term for years it still is not right. Mode implies
> using a different technology and not just a different frequency band.
> Using 800 Mhz "cellular" is no different from using 1900 "PCS."
> You're using the same technology only in different bands. There's no
> different "mode" being used.

I never stated that there were three different modes used. If you'll pay
attention, then you'll see that it's two modes in one band and one mode in
another. That's three different *combinations* of bands and modes, which is
why they use the shorthand term "tri-mode."

It's just that simple. You may make it as complicated as you like, and you
may create any type of cumbersome term you like. However, it will still
commonly be known as "tri-mode."

--
D.J., N8DO; FMCA 147762
dj[underscore]osborn at yahoo dot com
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 3:56:36 PM

I said "If" on the price. I was under the impression that multimode
phones periodically checked the other modes to see if those signals were
stronger, and would then use the strongest signal.

Peter Lawrence wrote:
> Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<B_h_c.7094$w%6.2607@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
>
>>Peter Lawrence wrote:

>>>Verizon has excellent digital CDMA coverage throughout all of
>>>California's major metro areas, so I doubt you really "NEED" a
>>>tri-mode phone if you will mostly use the phone in LA, San Diego, and
>>>Las Vegas metro areas.
>>>
>>>But...
>>>
>>>Unless you know of a Verizon plan that charges less per month for a
>>>Digital Only phone vs. a Tri-Mode phone, why would you want to buy a
>>>phone that is not capable of taking full advantage of all the extended
>>>network coverage that Verizon offers with its Tri-Mode phones?
>>>Verizon customers with Digital Only phones are paying the same price
>>>per month for less coverage than Verizon customers with Tri-Mode
>>>phones. Paying the same price for less service is usually not a very
>>>good deal.
>>>
>>>As a couple of people have mentioned in previous posts, some popular
>>>recreational areas like Yosemite Valley, does not have CMDA digital
>>>coverage, but you can still use your Verizon Tri-Mode phone in
>>>Yosemite Valley in analog mode.
>>>
>>>Now you might not visit any place in the next five years that doesn't
>>>have CDMA wireless coverage, but again why pay the same monthly price
>>>for less service coverage?
>>>
>>>- Peter
>>

>>Perhaps if you can buy a digital only phone for a lot less, plus the
>>phone won't waste any time looking for an analogue signal.
>>

> Well if the digital only phones did cost a lot less than the Tri-Mode
> phones, then I could see the value of selecting a digital only phone
> over a Tri-Mode phone, but they don't cost less. Also Tri-Modes
> phones don't waste time looking for an analog signal when a digital
> CMDA signal is available, because the Tri-Mode phones are programmed
> to search for the CDMA digital signal first, and only when they don't
> find a Verizon CDMA digital signal do the Tri-Mode phones search for
> an AMPS analog signal.
>
> - Peter
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 8:08:31 PM

"Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Peter,
>
> I was at the Verizon Store last night in Huntington Beach and they had the
> 4500 and also the 4600. He did get the number right. It is a great phone
> and is the only phone that Verizon sells that has "digi-dial" It is a
great
> feature, especially when you are driving. All you have to do is say, call
> 714-593-xxxx and the phone dials your number.

The Motorola V710 also has 'digit dialing'... In addition to name dialing,
etc.

--
God Bless America!

Bob the Printer

Our web pages are located at:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bdolson/
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 2:51:40 AM

In article <U9D_c.806$ip2.516@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I said "If" on the price. I was under the impression that multimode
>phones periodically checked the other modes to see if those signals were
>stronger, and would then use the strongest signal.

Depends pretty much on the priorities in the PRL of the various systems
the phone can see, rather than the signal strength. If the phone has
acquired a priority 1 system (a CDMA VZW system, if possible), it will never
go looking for anything else until it loses that system completely. If it
is currently on a lower priority system, it will periodically scan for a
higher priority system. And at least on the (Motorola) phones I have had,
it will also do a scan if it is on analog (preferring a CDMA signal),
even if on a priority 1 system.

At one time here in the San Francisco Bay area, the PRL had a bug where
the local VZW system was at a lower priority than the neighboring
Sacramento VZW system. So battery standby time went to h*** due to the
phone always rescanning for a higher priority system.
!