Tri-mode is how necessary is it in Los Angeles?

My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500 which
has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.

I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I don't
seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't know
if analog is really necessary in my case.

90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
County area.

The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.

For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?
33 answers Last reply
More about mode angeles

    "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
    which
    > has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
    >
    > I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
    don't
    > seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
    know
    > if analog is really necessary in my case.
    >
    > 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
    > County area.
    >
    > The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
    >
    > For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

    The areas you mention are all digital, the only problem may be your usage
    outside those metro areas. If you ever go extremely far outside those areas
    (usually 20-30 miles outside of the city limits, like camping or hiking up
    in the mountains), you may run into analog, but if that's not your lifestyle
    (your post above doesn't give any exceptions), you probably won't need it,
    and the reduced weight/size and increased battery life of the all digitals
    make it much more pleasurable to carry.

    Just a thought for you, while I am normally in digital areas (same ones you
    mention LA/OC/LV/SD), and do the digital data/tethered to a laptop, once in
    a while I go on my friends boat up lake mead/colorado river, and that's
    analog area. For those (very infrequent, twice in 4 years) times, I picked
    up an old tri-mode phone on Ebay for $12.50 (even was a Kyocera 3035 so I
    could use the chargers/cases/cables/etc I already had), activate it before
    going on the boat (no big deal or major financial loss if it goes
    overboard), and then switch back when I return to town. (you can go to the
    verizon website and switch ESN's for free).

    PS, they don't have the LG-4400 anymore (which was a tri mode), but they do
    have the LG-4600 now (dual mode, all digital, with speakerphone), either you
    got the number wrong or haven't been to a store for about a year when they
    came out with new ones and changed model numbers :) <--- that's a grin..

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 09:53:30 GMT, "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500 which
    >has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
    >
    >I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I don't
    >seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't know
    >if analog is really necessary in my case.
    >
    >90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
    >County area.
    >
    >The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
    >
    >For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

    For your kind of use so called "tri mode" wouldn't be necessary.
    Analog's only really necessary if you find yourself in rural non built
    up areas. The areas you mention you should do just fine with digital
    only remembering that the occasional times you may be in remote rural
    areas you may not have the coverage you need.

    And I'm not really sure why Verizon refers to it as "tri mode" since
    you're only using either digital or analog. Tri mode is not the same
    as tri-band. Tri-mode would be a phone that does analog AMPS, CDMA
    and another technology such as TDMA or GSM.

    Joseph wrote:

    > And I'm not really sure why Verizon refers to it as "tri mode" since
    > you're only using either digital or analog. Tri mode is not the same
    > as tri-band. Tri-mode would be a phone that does analog AMPS, CDMA
    > and another technology such as TDMA or GSM.

    Verizon refers to it as tri-mode because so does everyone else. :)

    It's as useless a term as "PCS".

    I will concur that tri-mode probably isn't necessary in the city. It isn't even
    really necessary even up here in the sticks, where the cities are relatively
    small (under 100K people each, typically about 60K-80K).

    I disagree with the others <G> tri-mode is a must.

    I live in Orange County and spend a lot of time in Los Angeles County. I
    just got a new tri-mode phone that generates a loud beep whenever it
    switches to analog because there is no digital signal in the area or because
    local digital cell sites are tied up. Since getting it, I've noted that is
    beeps quite often as it switches back and forth to ensure continuous
    coverage. It never hurts to have the extra capability. I'd stick with
    tri-mode.

    "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
    which
    > has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
    >
    > I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
    don't
    > seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
    know
    > if analog is really necessary in my case.
    >
    > 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
    > County area.
    >
    > The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
    >
    > For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

    My daughter lives in Redondo Beach and works in El Segundo with a digital
    only Samsung 530 phone. She's had no problems around the area there. I've
    travelled all around LA & Orange county with good coverage, but my phone is
    tri-mode. I don't recall ever switching to analog in that area. I cant
    speak to the Las Vegas or San Diego coverage.

    "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
    which
    > has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
    >
    > I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
    don't
    > seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
    know
    > if analog is really necessary in my case.
    >
    > 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
    > County area.
    >
    > The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
    >
    > For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

    You will find that the digital only phones work better in keeping a digital
    signal. In WI there are areas that have nothing but analog yet, believe it
    or not, and there are people that use digital only phones with no problems.
    They either stay in the populated areas or never hit the areas with analog.

    --
    All Email is scanned and
    declared Virus free by
    "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
    > which
    > has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
    >
    > I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
    > don't
    > seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
    > know
    > if analog is really necessary in my case.
    >
    > 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
    > County area.
    >
    > The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
    >
    > For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

    Don't even give it a thought. You will be fine. We live in Orange County
    and drive to Las Vegas every now and then. You will have service throughout
    the entire area including Vegas. This summer, we drove to Yosemite National
    Park and had service almost all of the time during our trip there and back.
    We had marginal service or no service while we were in the park, but that is
    the only time that I have not had a signal in a very long time.

    As to the 4500. I had the 4500 and switched to the Motorola V710. Good
    phone but not as good as the 4500. Yesterday, I switched to the Treo 600
    but switched back within hours. Good phone but the buttons were really too
    small to be functional. So here I am back with the 4500. It is the best
    phone that I have ever used, voice quality, signal acquisition, features,
    etc, ect, ect.

    Bruce D. Brown
    "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
    > which
    > has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
    >
    > I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
    > don't
    > seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
    > know
    > if analog is really necessary in my case.
    >
    > 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
    > County area.
    >
    > The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
    >
    > For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

    We had a similar experience as yours in Yosemite in that we had "no service"
    at all there. That was disappointing because I was told that my digital
    coverage there w/ Verizon would be as good as my old TDMA coverage on AT&T.
    My friend was able to get coverage with her tri-mode Motorola Phone (720 or
    730) on Verizon while in Yosemite. So, consequently I just traded my wife's
    LG 4500 in for an Audiovox 8900 which is trimode. She also likes the fact
    that she can read the screen without putting on glasses; that wasn't
    possible w/ her 4500. I also got my daughter an 8900 and she likes it. As
    for me, I'm sticking w/ the LG 4500. The speaker phone is excellent, and I
    find it to be, overall, a great phone!

    "Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Don't even give it a thought. You will be fine. We live in Orange County
    > and drive to Las Vegas every now and then. You will have service
    throughout
    > the entire area including Vegas. This summer, we drove to Yosemite
    National
    > Park and had service almost all of the time during our trip there and
    back.
    > We had marginal service or no service while we were in the park, but that
    is
    > the only time that I have not had a signal in a very long time.
    >
    > As to the 4500. I had the 4500 and switched to the Motorola V710. Good
    > phone but not as good as the 4500. Yesterday, I switched to the Treo 600
    > but switched back within hours. Good phone but the buttons were really
    too
    > small to be functional. So here I am back with the 4500. It is the best
    > phone that I have ever used, voice quality, signal acquisition, features,
    > etc, ect, ect.
    >
    > Bruce D. Brown
    > "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
    > > which
    > > has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
    > >
    > > I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
    > > don't
    > > seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
    > > know
    > > if analog is really necessary in my case.
    > >
    > > 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North
    Orange
    > > County area.
    > >
    > > The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
    > >
    > > For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

    "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

    *snip*

    > PS, they don't have the LG-4400 anymore (which was a tri mode), but they
    do
    > have the LG-4600 now (dual mode, all digital, with speakerphone), either
    you
    > got the number wrong or haven't been to a store for about a year when they
    > came out with new ones and changed model numbers :) <--- that's a grin..

    FYI, I was in an area VZW corp store yesterday looking at phones and they
    had no 4600 only the 4500. OK phone but I like my 4400 better. I would have
    liked the 3200 pretty well if it had an external display. Now the
    7000....mmm...definitely considering. I also checked the website for the
    DC/Balt region and same thing. No 4600 listed only the 4500. As I have
    learned, these things vary by market FWIW

    --
    JennL

    "ModernMiko" <modernmiko@NOverizon.net> wrote in message
    > "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > *snip*
    I also checked the website for the
    > DC/Balt region and same thing. No 4600 listed only the 4500. As I have
    > learned, these things vary by market FWIW
    >
    > --
    > JennL

    Definately Market oriented, while I do have a Baltimore phone
    number/contract, I am currently in Las vegas and looked at both their store
    here and on the web site for this zip code, and they only have/show the 4600
    (west coast zips like 90023/89121/92101 show different phones than my home
    zip of 21207). I mainly said 4600 cuz he said he was out west here, so I
    picked a model number shown by west zips.

    Peter,

    I was at the Verizon Store last night in Huntington Beach and they had the
    4500 and also the 4600. He did get the number right. It is a great phone
    and is the only phone that Verizon sells that has "digi-dial" It is a great
    feature, especially when you are driving. All you have to do is say, call
    714-593-xxxx and the phone dials your number.

    Bruce D. Brown
    "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
    > which
    >> has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
    >>
    >> I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
    > don't
    >> seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
    > know
    >> if analog is really necessary in my case.
    >>
    >> 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North
    >> Orange
    >> County area.
    >>
    >> The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
    >>
    >> For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?
    >>

    > The areas you mention are all digital, the only problem may be your usage
    > outside those metro areas. If you ever go extremely far outside those
    > areas
    > (usually 20-30 miles outside of the city limits, like camping or hiking up
    > in the mountains), you may run into analog, but if that's not your
    > lifestyle
    > (your post above doesn't give any exceptions), you probably won't need it,
    > and the reduced weight/size and increased battery life of the all digitals
    > make it much more pleasurable to carry.
    >
    > Just a thought for you, while I am normally in digital areas (same ones
    > you
    > mention LA/OC/LV/SD), and do the digital data/tethered to a laptop, once
    > in
    > a while I go on my friends boat up lake mead/colorado river, and that's
    > analog area. For those (very infrequent, twice in 4 years) times, I picked
    > up an old tri-mode phone on Ebay for $12.50 (even was a Kyocera 3035 so I
    > could use the chargers/cases/cables/etc I already had), activate it before
    > going on the boat (no big deal or major financial loss if it goes
    > overboard), and then switch back when I return to town. (you can go to the
    > verizon website and switch ESN's for free).
    >
    > PS, they don't have the LG-4400 anymore (which was a tri mode), but they
    > do
    > have the LG-4600 now (dual mode, all digital, with speakerphone), either
    > you
    > got the number wrong or haven't been to a store for about a year when they
    > came out with new ones and changed model numbers :) <--- that's a grin..

    Sounds like it would work pretty good with my Jabra Freespeak (wireless
    earpiece/headset). Right now I can only call someone in my phonebook (no
    dialing of other numbers). I wonder if it does the push one button/send/ask
    for # to dial (cover closed thing/like some clamshells, or in the carrying
    case like some candy bar phones)? That would be way handy (with the wireless
    headset) for hands free.

    "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote (in part):

    > Joseph wrote:
    >
    > > And I'm not really sure why Verizon refers to it as "tri mode" since
    > > you're only using either digital or analog. Tri mode is not the same
    > > as tri-band. Tri-mode would be a phone that does analog AMPS, CDMA
    > > and another technology such as TDMA or GSM.
    >
    > Verizon refers to it as tri-mode because so does everyone else. :)
    >
    > It's as useless a term as "PCS".

    It's not useless at all. Tri-mode means analog 800 MHz, digital 800 MHz, and
    digital 1900 MHz. It's two modes in one band, and one mode in the other.
    Hence, the "Tri-mode" designation makes sense.

    --
    D.J., N8DO; FMCA 147762
    dj[underscore]osborn at yahoo dot com

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 21:20:45 GMT, "D.J. Osborn"
    <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:

    >It's not useless at all. Tri-mode means analog 800 MHz, digital 800 MHz, and
    >digital 1900 MHz. It's two modes in one band, and one mode in the other.
    >Hence, the "Tri-mode" designation makes sense.

    Mode is not the same thing as band! It's more properly dual mode
    (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900.)

    > "ModernMiko" <modernmiko@NOverizon.net> wrote in message
    > > "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > *snip*
    > I also checked the website for the
    > > DC/Balt region and same thing. No 4600 listed only the 4500. As I have
    > > learned, these things vary by market FWIW
    > >
    > > --
    > > JennL
    > >

    > Definately Market oriented, while I do have a Baltimore phone
    > number/contract, I am currently in Las vegas and looked at both their
    store
    > here and on the web site for this zip code, and they only have/show the
    4600
    > (west coast zips like 90023/89121/92101 show different phones than my home
    > zip of 21207). I mainly said 4600 cuz he said he was out west here, so I
    > picked a model number shown by west zips.

    No harm no foul by any means. Just wanted to point out to the OP that he
    might have seen the 4500 cause they are available in some markets.

    --
    JennL

    "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 21:20:45 GMT, "D.J. Osborn"
    > <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >It's not useless at all. Tri-mode means analog 800 MHz, digital 800 MHz,
    and
    > >digital 1900 MHz. It's two modes in one band, and one mode in the other.
    > >Hence, the "Tri-mode" designation makes sense.
    >
    > Mode is not the same thing as band! It's more properly dual mode
    > (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900.)

    AGREE!
    Now can you get the "Cell Phone Companies" to change to the correct usage?

    "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 21:20:45 GMT, "D.J. Osborn"
    > <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >It's not useless at all. Tri-mode means analog 800 MHz, digital 800 MHz,
    and
    > >digital 1900 MHz. It's two modes in one band, and one mode in the other.
    > >Hence, the "Tri-mode" designation makes sense.
    >
    > Mode is not the same thing as band! It's more properly dual mode
    > (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900.)

    On second thought it is actually dual mode (analog/CDMA) dual band
    (800/1900)

    Yeah, I think it's a good idea to have the analog feature just in case you
    need it. To be stuck somewhere with no service can be a real pain. Since I
    prefer the LG 4500 (non-analog: dual mode) and virtually everywhere I go on
    business and personal matters, it works I'm sticking with it. When we go
    out of town or across country, ie, Vermont, or wherever, my wife feels
    secure in knowing she should be able to get a connection, at least most of
    the time.

    "Michael" <mpmorgan(no spam)@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > I disagree with the others <G> tri-mode is a must.
    >
    > I live in Orange County and spend a lot of time in Los Angeles County. I
    > just got a new tri-mode phone that generates a loud beep whenever it
    > switches to analog because there is no digital signal in the area or
    because
    > local digital cell sites are tied up. Since getting it, I've noted that
    is
    > beeps quite often as it switches back and forth to ensure continuous
    > coverage. It never hurts to have the extra capability. I'd stick with
    > tri-mode.
    >

    > "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
    > which
    > > has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
    > >
    > > I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
    > don't
    > > seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
    > know
    > > if analog is really necessary in my case.
    > >
    > > 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North
    Orange
    > > County area.
    > >
    > > The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
    > >
    > > For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

    "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
    which
    > has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
    >
    > I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I
    don't
    > seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't
    know
    > if analog is really necessary in my case.
    >
    > 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
    > County area.
    >
    > The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
    >
    > For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

    I live in North OC, and I just got the LG-VX3200 tri-mode CDMA phone. I made
    sure the phone would be tri-mode because when I had an all digital phone I
    could only make calls standing in the South-East corner of my room standing
    on a chair. This is probably an unfair comparison since it was Cingular with
    a Nokia tiny bar phone vs. Verizon. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed a problem
    with Verizon's all digital phones.

    I did notice tonight that my phone was in analog mode for a moment. It
    rarely says it's in the "D" mode, and mostly only says 1x.

    You can read about my thoughts on the phone itself I got here:
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/scootgirl/3588.html

    Karen
    http://scootgirl.com/

    "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<uaXZc.11150$QJ3.10433@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...
    > My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500 which
    > has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
    >
    > I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I don't
    > seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't know
    > if analog is really necessary in my case.
    >
    > 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
    > County area.
    >
    > The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
    >
    > For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?

    Verizon has excellent digital CDMA coverage throughout all of
    California's major metro areas, so I doubt you really "NEED" a
    tri-mode phone if you will mostly use the phone in LA, San Diego, and
    Las Vegas metro areas.

    But...

    Unless you know of a Verizon plan that charges less per month for a
    Digital Only phone vs. a Tri-Mode phone, why would you want to buy a
    phone that is not capable of taking full advantage of all the extended
    network coverage that Verizon offers with its Tri-Mode phones?
    Verizon customers with Digital Only phones are paying the same price
    per month for less coverage than Verizon customers with Tri-Mode
    phones. Paying the same price for less service is usually not a very
    good deal.

    As a couple of people have mentioned in previous posts, some popular
    recreational areas like Yosemite Valley, does not have CMDA digital
    coverage, but you can still use your Verizon Tri-Mode phone in
    Yosemite Valley in analog mode.

    Now you might not visit any place in the next five years that doesn't
    have CDMA wireless coverage, but again why pay the same monthly price
    for less service coverage?

    - Peter

    Believe it or not, there are areas in WI that have no wireless service
    at all.
    The same applies to several other states as well.

    HotRod wrote:

    > You will find that the digital only phones work better in keeping a digital
    > signal. In WI there are areas that have nothing but analog yet, believe it
    > or not, and there are people that use digital only phones with no problems.
    > They either stay in the populated areas or never hit the areas with analog.

    You would not think it possible in 2004, would you.

    --
    All Email is scanned and
    declared Virus free by

    On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:44:47 -0500, "IMHO" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

    >"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 21:20:45 GMT, "D.J. Osborn"
    >> <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >It's not useless at all. Tri-mode means analog 800 MHz, digital 800 MHz,
    >and
    >> >digital 1900 MHz. It's two modes in one band, and one mode in the other.
    >> >Hence, the "Tri-mode" designation makes sense.
    >>
    >> Mode is not the same thing as band! It's more properly dual mode
    >> (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900.)
    >>
    >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >>
    >AGREE!
    >Now can you get the "Cell Phone Companies" to change to the correct usage?

    Probably not.

    Peter Lawrence wrote:
    > Verizon has excellent digital CDMA coverage throughout all of
    > California's major metro areas, so I doubt you really "NEED" a
    > tri-mode phone if you will mostly use the phone in LA, San Diego, and
    > Las Vegas metro areas.
    >
    > But...
    >
    > Unless you know of a Verizon plan that charges less per month for a
    > Digital Only phone vs. a Tri-Mode phone, why would you want to buy a
    > phone that is not capable of taking full advantage of all the extended
    > network coverage that Verizon offers with its Tri-Mode phones?
    > Verizon customers with Digital Only phones are paying the same price
    > per month for less coverage than Verizon customers with Tri-Mode
    > phones. Paying the same price for less service is usually not a very
    > good deal.

    If you go to Laughlin (since we're talking about Las Vegas), you may end up
    roaming. If they still use the same carrier they did in West Central Arizona
    last year, it's a TDMA carrier and although you get free roaming on AC and NAC
    and National Single-rate, it'll be analog. You might end up in their coverage
    area for a short time on the way to Laughlin.

    They *should* let you roam digital on Sprint since Sprint has coverage in that
    area, but...

    "Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote:

    >I was at the Verizon Store last night in Huntington Beach and they had the
    >4500 and also the 4600. He did get the number right. It is a great phone
    >and is the only phone that Verizon sells that has "digi-dial" It is a great
    >feature, especially when you are driving. All you have to do is say, call
    >714-593-xxxx and the phone dials your number.

    You can also do that with the 4500.

    Perhaps if you can buy a digital only phone for a lot less, plus the
    phone won't waste any time looking for an analogue signal.

    Peter Lawrence wrote:
    > "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<uaXZc.11150$QJ3.10433@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...
    >
    >>My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500 which
    >>has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
    >>
    >>I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately, I don't
    >>seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode, so I don't know
    >>if analog is really necessary in my case.
    >>
    >>90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North Orange
    >>County area.
    >>
    >>The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
    >>
    >>For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?
    >

    > Verizon has excellent digital CDMA coverage throughout all of
    > California's major metro areas, so I doubt you really "NEED" a
    > tri-mode phone if you will mostly use the phone in LA, San Diego, and
    > Las Vegas metro areas.
    >
    > But...
    >
    > Unless you know of a Verizon plan that charges less per month for a
    > Digital Only phone vs. a Tri-Mode phone, why would you want to buy a
    > phone that is not capable of taking full advantage of all the extended
    > network coverage that Verizon offers with its Tri-Mode phones?
    > Verizon customers with Digital Only phones are paying the same price
    > per month for less coverage than Verizon customers with Tri-Mode
    > phones. Paying the same price for less service is usually not a very
    > good deal.
    >
    > As a couple of people have mentioned in previous posts, some popular
    > recreational areas like Yosemite Valley, does not have CMDA digital
    > coverage, but you can still use your Verizon Tri-Mode phone in
    > Yosemite Valley in analog mode.
    >
    > Now you might not visit any place in the next five years that doesn't
    > have CDMA wireless coverage, but again why pay the same monthly price
    > for less service coverage?
    >
    > - Peter

    "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 21:20:45 GMT, "D.J. Osborn"
    > <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >It's not useless at all. Tri-mode means analog 800 MHz, digital 800 MHz,
    and
    > >digital 1900 MHz. It's two modes in one band, and one mode in the other.
    > >Hence, the "Tri-mode" designation makes sense.
    >
    > Mode is not the same thing as band! It's more properly dual mode
    > (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900.)

    If you bother to actually *read* what I wrote, then you'll see that I wrote
    "two modes in one band, and one mode in the other." It's *quite* clear that
    I know the difference between "mode" and "band."

    Since "dual mode (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900)" is a very cumbersome
    term, it's quite reasonable to simply call it "tri-mode."

    --
    D.J., N8DO; FMCA 147762
    dj[underscore]osborn at yahoo dot com

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 13:48:09 GMT, "D.J. Osborn"
    <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:

    >Since "dual mode (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900)" is a very cumbersome
    >term, it's quite reasonable to simply call it "tri-mode."

    Fine. Just show me where there are three modes involved. AFAIKS it's
    two modes digital and analog. It's not a different mode when you're
    using a different frequency band even though companies like Verizon
    have used the term for years it still is not right. Mode implies
    using a different technology and not just a different frequency band.
    Using 800 Mhz "cellular" is no different from using 1900 "PCS."
    You're using the same technology only in different bands. There's no
    different "mode" being used.

    Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<B_h_c.7094$w%6.2607@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

    > Peter Lawrence wrote:
    > >
    > > "C.T." <ct@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > My Kyocera QCP 3035 up and died on me. So I'm looking at the LG 4500
    > > > which has the speaker phone option that I would like to have.
    > > >
    > > > I did notice that the LG model is only Digital mode. Unfortunately,
    > > > I don't seem to remember if my Kyocera ever switched to analog mode,
    > > > so I don't know if analog is really necessary in my case.
    > > >
    > > > 90 percent of the cell phone useage occurs in the Los Angeles/North
    > > > Orange County area.
    > > >
    > > > The other 10 percent is used in Las Vegas and San Diego.
    > > >
    > > > For my usage, should I even worry about Tri Mode?
    > >
    > > Verizon has excellent digital CDMA coverage throughout all of
    > > California's major metro areas, so I doubt you really "NEED" a
    > > tri-mode phone if you will mostly use the phone in LA, San Diego, and
    > > Las Vegas metro areas.
    > >
    > > But...
    > >
    > > Unless you know of a Verizon plan that charges less per month for a
    > > Digital Only phone vs. a Tri-Mode phone, why would you want to buy a
    > > phone that is not capable of taking full advantage of all the extended
    > > network coverage that Verizon offers with its Tri-Mode phones?
    > > Verizon customers with Digital Only phones are paying the same price
    > > per month for less coverage than Verizon customers with Tri-Mode
    > > phones. Paying the same price for less service is usually not a very
    > > good deal.
    > >
    > > As a couple of people have mentioned in previous posts, some popular
    > > recreational areas like Yosemite Valley, does not have CMDA digital
    > > coverage, but you can still use your Verizon Tri-Mode phone in
    > > Yosemite Valley in analog mode.
    > >
    > > Now you might not visit any place in the next five years that doesn't
    > > have CDMA wireless coverage, but again why pay the same monthly price
    > > for less service coverage?
    > >
    > > - Peter
    >

    > Perhaps if you can buy a digital only phone for a lot less, plus the
    > phone won't waste any time looking for an analogue signal.

    Well if the digital only phones did cost a lot less than the Tri-Mode
    phones, then I could see the value of selecting a digital only phone
    over a Tri-Mode phone, but they don't cost less. Also Tri-Modes
    phones don't waste time looking for an analog signal when a digital
    CMDA signal is available, because the Tri-Mode phones are programmed
    to search for the CDMA digital signal first, and only when they don't
    find a Verizon CDMA digital signal do the Tri-Mode phones search for
    an AMPS analog signal.

    - Peter

    "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 13:48:09 GMT, "D.J. Osborn"
    > <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Since "dual mode (analog/digital) dual band (800/1900)" is a very
    cumbersome
    > >term, it's quite reasonable to simply call it "tri-mode."
    >
    > Fine. Just show me where there are three modes involved. AFAIKS it's
    > two modes digital and analog. It's not a different mode when you're
    > using a different frequency band even though companies like Verizon
    > have used the term for years it still is not right. Mode implies
    > using a different technology and not just a different frequency band.
    > Using 800 Mhz "cellular" is no different from using 1900 "PCS."
    > You're using the same technology only in different bands. There's no
    > different "mode" being used.

    I never stated that there were three different modes used. If you'll pay
    attention, then you'll see that it's two modes in one band and one mode in
    another. That's three different *combinations* of bands and modes, which is
    why they use the shorthand term "tri-mode."

    It's just that simple. You may make it as complicated as you like, and you
    may create any type of cumbersome term you like. However, it will still
    commonly be known as "tri-mode."

    --
    D.J., N8DO; FMCA 147762
    dj[underscore]osborn at yahoo dot com

    I said "If" on the price. I was under the impression that multimode
    phones periodically checked the other modes to see if those signals were
    stronger, and would then use the strongest signal.

    Peter Lawrence wrote:
    > Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<B_h_c.7094$w%6.2607@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    >
    >>Peter Lawrence wrote:

    >>>Verizon has excellent digital CDMA coverage throughout all of
    >>>California's major metro areas, so I doubt you really "NEED" a
    >>>tri-mode phone if you will mostly use the phone in LA, San Diego, and
    >>>Las Vegas metro areas.
    >>>
    >>>But...
    >>>
    >>>Unless you know of a Verizon plan that charges less per month for a
    >>>Digital Only phone vs. a Tri-Mode phone, why would you want to buy a
    >>>phone that is not capable of taking full advantage of all the extended
    >>>network coverage that Verizon offers with its Tri-Mode phones?
    >>>Verizon customers with Digital Only phones are paying the same price
    >>>per month for less coverage than Verizon customers with Tri-Mode
    >>>phones. Paying the same price for less service is usually not a very
    >>>good deal.
    >>>
    >>>As a couple of people have mentioned in previous posts, some popular
    >>>recreational areas like Yosemite Valley, does not have CMDA digital
    >>>coverage, but you can still use your Verizon Tri-Mode phone in
    >>>Yosemite Valley in analog mode.
    >>>
    >>>Now you might not visit any place in the next five years that doesn't
    >>>have CDMA wireless coverage, but again why pay the same monthly price
    >>>for less service coverage?
    >>>
    >>>- Peter
    >>

    >>Perhaps if you can buy a digital only phone for a lot less, plus the
    >>phone won't waste any time looking for an analogue signal.
    >>

    > Well if the digital only phones did cost a lot less than the Tri-Mode
    > phones, then I could see the value of selecting a digital only phone
    > over a Tri-Mode phone, but they don't cost less. Also Tri-Modes
    > phones don't waste time looking for an analog signal when a digital
    > CMDA signal is available, because the Tri-Mode phones are programmed
    > to search for the CDMA digital signal first, and only when they don't
    > find a Verizon CDMA digital signal do the Tri-Mode phones search for
    > an AMPS analog signal.
    >
    > - Peter

    "Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Peter,
    >
    > I was at the Verizon Store last night in Huntington Beach and they had the
    > 4500 and also the 4600. He did get the number right. It is a great phone
    > and is the only phone that Verizon sells that has "digi-dial" It is a
    great
    > feature, especially when you are driving. All you have to do is say, call
    > 714-593-xxxx and the phone dials your number.

    The Motorola V710 also has 'digit dialing'... In addition to name dialing,
    etc.

    --
    God Bless America!

    Bob the Printer

    Our web pages are located at:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bdolson/

    In article <U9D_c.806$ip2.516@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > I said "If" on the price. I was under the impression that multimode
    >phones periodically checked the other modes to see if those signals were
    >stronger, and would then use the strongest signal.

    Depends pretty much on the priorities in the PRL of the various systems
    the phone can see, rather than the signal strength. If the phone has
    acquired a priority 1 system (a CDMA VZW system, if possible), it will never
    go looking for anything else until it loses that system completely. If it
    is currently on a lower priority system, it will periodically scan for a
    higher priority system. And at least on the (Motorola) phones I have had,
    it will also do a scan if it is on analog (preferring a CDMA signal),
    even if on a priority 1 system.

    At one time here in the San Francisco Bay area, the PRL had a bug where
    the local VZW system was at a lower priority than the neighboring
    Sacramento VZW system. So battery standby time went to h*** due to the
    phone always rescanning for a higher priority system.

Verizon Internet Service Providers Product