Vonage Phone,Wifi, Traveling, with What Router?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 31, 2004 4:23:56 PM

Here's the situation: I now have a Vonage phone account, using the recently
introduced Linksys PAP2 adapter. Works like a charm. Those of you with
broadband ought to check out www.vonage.com (I don't work for them). To use
the device you need a router with at least one spare port.

I travel a lot and broadband access is pretty common in hotel rooms now.
I'd like to bring my wireless laptop along with me as well as a small phone
along with the Linksys PAP2 (this will allow me to get and make phone calls
whenever I travel...pretty neat.)

I need a traveling router (small) that has an AP and also has a spare open
ethernet port on it...

Anyone know and recommend such a device? Remember small is good.
Netgear just released a new traveling router; however no ethernet port. I
also looked at Apple's AirPort Express (also small)...but no spare ethernet
port either...but it does a built-in USB printserver.

Any recommendations?
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 3:40:42 AM

What you really need is Wifi / VoiP phone like Zyxel 2000W,
it isn't cheap though !
Regards,
Martin
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 7:37:59 AM

"Michael M. Cohen" <mmcohen@(no.spamm)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Here's the situation: I now have a Vonage phone account, using the
> recently
> introduced Linksys PAP2 adapter. Works like a charm. Those of you with
> broadband ought to check out www.vonage.com (I don't work for them). To
> use
> the device you need a router with at least one spare port.
>
> I travel a lot and broadband access is pretty common in hotel rooms now.
> I'd like to bring my wireless laptop along with me as well as a small
> phone
> along with the Linksys PAP2 (this will allow me to get and make phone
> calls
> whenever I travel...pretty neat.)
>
> I need a traveling router (small) that has an AP and also has a spare open
> ethernet port on it...
>
> Anyone know and recommend such a device? Remember small is good.
> Netgear just released a new traveling router; however no ethernet port. I
> also looked at Apple's AirPort Express (also small)...but no spare
> ethernet
> port either...but it does a built-in USB printserver.
>
> Any recommendations?

How about the Wiflyer (www.wiflyer.com)?

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 11:25:53 AM

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:
>"Michael M. Cohen" <mmcohen@(no.spamm)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I need a traveling router (small) that has an AP and also has a spare open
>> ethernet port on it...

>How about the Wiflyer (www.wiflyer.com)?

That's the only one I've been able to find with this feature set (plus
it has dialup). They've just started {taking orders for,shipping?}
the WiFlyer, and I'm considering it. Did they just drop the price? I
seem to remembering taking it off my list, as it was something like
$250, but (now?) it's only $150. Probably $50 more than a travel
router and a travel AP, but pretty reasonable...

After leaving my previous travel AP with a client, I've been looking
for a replacement. Anything else out there (yet) in this market
space?
!