marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I used to have some software called Norton Virtual Drive which used to copy the image of CD-ROMs onto the Hard disk and assigning those images into drive letters of their own. However now that my motheboard has changed I can no longer use the software on the PC (it was a copy bundled on the motherboard CD and it can only be used with FIC motherboards), and there were some compatibility problems with XP. This program was very handy as it allowed me to play games at a very high speed. I was going to buy another 80GB hard drive with an 8MB buffer and have it store all CD images on that drive so I get streamlined performance in games. This will also hopefully be a boon to my sisters PC as her CD-ROM drive is rather slow especially with GTA 3.

Can anyone recommend a good virtual CD program which will work under XP and provide me with this function, where all CDs I rip will have their own CD drive letter, and with enough RAM I should be able to run multiple games?

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I've never used one myself but my friends swear by alcohol 120. I think it does either that exactly or something similar. I believe it reads iso files on the computer and mounts them as a cdrom.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I have heard of that solution and I may get it. However I have heard rumours about certain games refusing to install with the prescence of Alcohol 120 or similar programs. Is this rumour true? If so which games do these concern, and is there a workaround to those particular games, which wont result in a possible damage to your PC or a ban from the multiplayer section of the game.

Thanks once again

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP