Sign in with
Your question

I've been having trouble booting up lately

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
July 11, 2005 4:50:39 AM

There are times when I try to boot up it just hangs. It flashes the cd and dvd drives, my HD light turns on, but nothing. It just sits there. Eventually the HD light turns off. My monitor never turns on either. Some times when my monitor turns on, it brings me to the bios. It gives me a CPU frequence error. Saying this is not a supported frequency. I am not overclocking and I know my P4 runs at 3.06. So I swaped out the cpu anways, but the problem persist. I ran memtest86, no errors.

There are times that I can login successfully for 5-6 times in a row. Is this most likely a motherboard issue or could this be a power supply issue?

This system has been running successfully for 2+ years. When I am done using the computer I do turn it off.

My power supply is Enermax EG465AX-VE(W)(FMA)
My motherboard is Asus P4T533-C.

Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peterjedi on 07/12/05 10:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : trouble booting

July 11, 2005 1:24:45 PM

Have your tried logging voltages? If yes, then what are they? That is a good mid-range PSU, but even good PSUs fail.

Have stress-tested your system with Sandra? Have you run the Sandra memory tester? Does it hang after boot or only on the boot?

July 11, 2005 2:25:44 PM

No I have not tried these. Thanks for the suggestion. I will download them. I have an older version of Sandra. Do you know where I can get the latest free version of Sandra?

It does not hang after a successful boot.

I did add a new WD 120 JB, but I noticed it was slow when starting Win 2000 pro. I didn't think too much off it. About a month later the boot up issues started. I spoke to WD about this problem. They said it is most likely a controller issue on the HD. I RMA'ed the HD. I got a new one. The new HD loaded very fast. I thought that was the problem, but I still get the hangs.

When I tested memtest86 I didn't get any errors when running all test option. As soon as I changed the option 3 or 4 where you test all memory, I started getting errors non stop on test one. This memory (Samsung PC1066) has been running fine for 2 years. I am not sure why the errors are generated with all memory test.

I also reflash my bios, but no success.

I am thinking the problem is the motherboard. Where the HD controller is messed up or the motherboard FSB is not working correctly.

I also tested for heat problems. When I first moved my case to an open area it worked fine for 5-6 times, but then it failed. If I wait a while, then try to boot, sometimes it successes (10-20%), but most of the time it just hangs (60-70%) (monitor never turns on) or it brings me into the bios (10-20%) saying FSB error.

Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peterjedi on 07/11/05 10:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
July 11, 2005 3:57:48 PM

<A HREF="http://majorgeeks.com/download92.html" target="_new">SiSoft Sandra</A>
Have you ever cleaned your HSF? How clean is the inside of your computer and air vents? When you opened the sides did you take a regular house fan and have it blow inside the case? If not, then give that a try after you thoroughly clean the inside of your case.

Based on you statement about the memory, one of your sticks of memory may be bad. Remove one stick and run Memtest86. If it tests good, then test the second stick by itself.

July 11, 2005 4:26:54 PM

It's pretty clean. I clean it once in a while. I use the compress gas to clean my case. I will test the memory again. Two at a time. I have 4 sticks of RDRAM. Thanks for the Sandra link.

The heat sink was not hot. When I swaped out the CPU I used Artic Ceramic.

I will do the following test:

1) Sandra
2) Run Memtest86 on a pair of RDRAM 1066. Swap out other pair test again.
3) I could swap out the power supply from my other machine. I am using the Antec Trueblue 480.

I will update when I am finished

Thanks<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peterjedi on 07/11/05 12:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 17, 2005 9:51:16 PM

All the test passed. I replaced thee P4T533-C motherboard. That fixed the problem. I did notice from the old bios that I could change the CPU multiplier. This looks like a CMOS bios problem. I am going to try an send it back to Asus to have them look at it.

Does anyone know what could cause this to happen? The system has been stable for 2+ years. It appears the CMOS is not loading correctly, that is why it does not boot. I didn't try to clear out the cmos, but I did flash the bios.

Regards,

Peter

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peterjedi on 07/17/05 05:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b V Motherboard
July 18, 2005 7:35:44 AM

Wow, I remember in the OLD days when Asus boards would wear-out the ESCD part of the BIOS chip by writing data to it at every boot...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b V Motherboard
July 18, 2005 8:58:19 AM

No, the only solution was to replace the chip with a pre-programmed chip, except in those few instances where you could actually boot from floppy, which allowed you to do a hot-flash of a new chip on the old board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 18, 2005 5:42:59 PM

I don't think my system would boot on the floppy. When I turn on my computer It flashes the CDRW, DVD, HD (lights up), then hangs. It does not go to the floppy until it loads the bios.

So I need to RMA the motherboard to relace the chip? Is there a place that will do this for cheap? Can I get a chip that does not write to the bios everytime or is this an legacy Asus short comming?

Thanks, Peter
a b V Motherboard
July 18, 2005 5:51:48 PM

It's actually a rare occurance these days, since flash memory has gotten better, for a chip to fail from too many flashes.

But that might not be what's wrong at all. Have you checked the capacitors for swelling tops or leakage?

July 18, 2005 9:41:05 PM

I've looked at it. The board looks pretty good. I could take some pictures and send them to you?
July 19, 2005 12:52:48 AM

If you are sure the tops of the capacitors are perfectly flat, another place to look would be the 20 pin connector of the psu. Enermax makes great psu, but the connectors are not so good. Look for blackened pins or sockets.
July 19, 2005 11:39:04 PM

The connectors on the power supply are good. I have RMA'ed the motherboard. I have one month left on my warrantee. Woo Hoo! I needed a backup motherboard anyways. I will update this post when Asus diagnose the motherboard.

Update:
I received a replacement motherboard from Asus, but Asus didn't tell me what the problem was.

Thanks for everyone's help

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peterjedi on 08/09/05 11:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!