Will these components work together? (need quick h

Jeuk

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2005
Well, I built another one of my friends a computer, for around 500 bucks I got him pretty much what he was asking for, just a simple machine to play low-end graphics with the generic games.

To the point: we assembled the computer at his house, and I checked over and over the manuel, but the computer simply would not turn on. there is no led on the motherboard when the power supply is ocnnected to the outlet and the switch is on the 1 (the 1/0 switch in the back).

When I try to turn on the computer nothing happens, however, when I shut it down I can hear a small whistle as if it is shutting down, even though no fans or anything was actually running.

I thought it might be a component problem, and perhaps the components I bought would not match with eachother, I might have made a mistake. Perhaps the power supply doesn't apply or something stupid that I didnt notice.

Here are the components: (with NEWEGG.com serial numbers)

CASE APEX BLK/SLVR SK337-A RETAIL
(Serial#: 11-154-048/0)

MB|ECS NFORCE4-A939 nForce4 RT
(Serial#: K51150E50601878)

CPU AMD 64 |3000+ ATHLON 939P 90 RT
(Serial#: 1214869B50491)

DDR CRSR 512MB X2 KIT|VS1GBKIT400
(Serial#: 0BZSBK070000B6E

HD 80GB|HITC SATA 8MB 0A30356 %
(Serial#: S2U7Y13J)

VGA SPPHRE X600 PRO 128MB 587L
(Serial#: 08E9HT07000006V)

Though it wont matter: DVD|SAMSUNG 16X TS-H352A/BEBP%
(Serial#: 0g5y0c0400000q5)

That's about all of it.

I am not sure if a bad processor was sent, or perhaps a bad powers supply, maybe on of your guys can give me a clue.

It would be much appreciated.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
First, is the 110/220 switch set to 110? (assuming you're in the US from Newegg links)

Make sure there aren't any standoffs from the case touching the mobo except where there's a mounting hole, double (triple?) check your connections.

If that's not it, what PSU is it (brand, wattage)?

If the mobo power good light isn't on, and things are connected properly, that pretty much means that its the PSU or mobo. I'm inclined to suspect PSU first. If you can, figure out where in the system the whistle is coming from.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
It seems that all your components are compatible.
You should read the motherboards FAQs thread in this forum, it will tell you several things to check. Start with the easy stuff, and try everything no matter how dumb it seems.

<font color=red>It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious<font color=red>

Since he didn't list the PSU separately he prob got a case with the PSU already in it.

Jeuk: What are the stats from the side of the PSU? Are you sure that you have ALL of the power connections plugged in? Have you tried reseating the cards and memory?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Yah, I guessed that - I just didn't know what Apex put in that case.

Looked it up: Mustang 350w. Kindof low on the 12v (16a), and a cheap PSU anyways ($30 case - so how much was that PSU?)

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.

16A isn't TOO bad, especially for a 350W PSU. That being said, it is a cheap PSU at best.

Jeuk: have you tried using a voltmeter to read voltages from the PSU rails?

Jeuk

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2005
the PSU is a mustang.
I dont have a voltometer to check it, so sorry about that, is there an alternative form of checking?
The switch isnt the number you listed, the two numbers are 115, and 230.
If you guys want me to list all of the numbers on the PSU, I would.

However, I dont think there is anythigng between the case and the motherboard, HOWEVER, I think I should note the following:

The video card will not fit into its slot completely.
The slot is PCI express, and so is the videocard, so it would fit normally, however, I found that it will on fit on the inner end of the case, becuase the video card will notpush into the other side due to the side of the case not allowing it to sink in completely.
(the problem is a physical blockage of the video card).

In any case, I know that even without the video card I can still turn on the computer and hear beeps or something.

I now have the computer at my house, so if you guys would like me to check something specifically, I would do so.

Thank you for all your comments and I hope one of you can help me solve it.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jeuk on 07/12/05 11:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

plenkor

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
Did you at any point try to power up the system with a partially-inserted video card? That's asking for trouble.

Jeuk

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2005
At one point, yes, I did. However, initially, I believe we tried it without the video card and still no go.

ALSO, IF YOU GUYS WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A LOOK AT THE THING AND PERHAPS FIND SOMEHTING WRONG IN IT, I PUT UP SOME PICS.

http://thejook.com/images/comp/

Those three images.
In Image 10: you can see that the video card is popped out (on the right side of the picture).
In Image 11: an overview of the computer.
In Image 12: A somewhat readable powersupply chart.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No power/no light usually means either your board is shorted, or you forgot to hook up the square ATX12v connector from the power supply.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Jeuk

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2005
I know that the sqaure (4 boxes) white connecter is connected, as you can see in the picture.
Also, the big connecter, which is 20 boxes, is connected correctly to the motherboard, which can hold 24 pins, but the manuel said a 20 or 24 pin is fine.

I just took the metal part off of the video card, and put it in correctly, but still no go.

Thanks again for everyone who is keeping up and trying to help, I appreciate it, and my friend certainly will.

Remember, I am just trying to find out if the ost likely situation is that the motherboard or powersupply is shortened/bad. If so, I will ship it back to newegg, and with their generous service, they will probably have one sent back in a few days.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
At this point, it's most likely that YOU shorted your board to your case, on the back side.

No warranty against something like that, but the good news is, I just saved big money on car insurance!

Wait, no, the good news is, due to circuit protection preventing your board from powering up, even if you did short the board, you can usually fix the problem by remounting the thing correctly.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Jeuk

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2005
How/why/when did I shorten my board?
The way I set it up? Because of the loose PCI card?

And well-done with the joke on the warranty, but Iv'e sent newegg broken video cards and have gotten new ones back, they really don't check anything, just toss it out and send a new one it seems.

At any rate, could you further explain how to fix a shortenned motherbaord with a correct setup.

And last of all, is there a certainty that it isn't my power supply that died on me?

Jeuk

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2005
Double post, sry, check the post above.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jeuk on 07/13/05 02:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your power supply may have died, but that doesn't sound likely. It sounds like you mounted the board with one of the standoffs in the wrong place, it's making contact with a circuit on the back of the board, and power protection is preventing anything else from happening. It's all in the first post of this forum, that post was made sticky for a reason.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I told him to check the FAQs.
Sometimes the things listed there, seem silly, but a lot of the problems that one may have when building are little silly things.

<font color=red>It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious<font color=red>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
The switch isnt the number you listed, the two numbers are 115, and 230.
Then I hope its set at 115...

If the video card doesn't fit in the slot properly, either the case is poorly designed (not likely) or bent (possible), or the video card slot cover is bent (possible), or the mobo isn't mounted properly in the case (possible to likely).

You'll only hear beeps if the mobo has a speaker or you have speakers plugged in. Otherwise, the mobo may be trying to beep, but nothing is coming out because there's nowhere for it to beep from.

Mike.

VChuck

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2003
just want to tell you I went through 2mo's of agony,with the same problem,of my mobo not powering up.you can go the stupid route and just rma it (no wonder the prices are going up at Newegg)but I'll be willing to bet its a mobo grounding issue. take the board out of the case and see if it'll power up then.I wanted to punch myself in the face when I found out that was the problem,after all the s*** I put myself through!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can jump the green wire to any chassis ground, including any of the black wires and the power supply shell. Just pick something!

Jeuk

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2005
Vchuck, before reading your post, we tried this, and apparantly, that was the problem!

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I don't know why, but the way the motherboard was mounted didn't allow it to start, we took it out, and it worked, continued to test it step by step, until we fit in enough screws to hold in up, adn put a paper under it to keep from the metal casing. Thanks for EVERYONE's help with this, it is much appreciated.

My friend will now enjoy his long lonely nights adventuring through the world of warcraft.

Thanks again to everyone.