Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fraps and Battlefield Bad Company 2

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 22, 2010 5:22:44 PM

Anyone struggle to record Battlefield Bad Company 2? Because I get about 40-50fps but when recording with the latest version of Fraps I still get about 18-24fps.
I run a quad core at 3.6GHz and a 5770 so there shouldn't be a huge problem, and when I lower the settings the same problem occurs while recording. I changed the recording settings a bit as well, from recording settings at 30fps to 50fps nothing seems to change.
I record to my other hard drive, it's a 250gb but right now there's 160gb left.
September 22, 2010 6:19:02 PM

Yea Fraps will bog down your frames quite a bit. In BC2 I get a constant 60FPS with v-snyc enabled and once I hit the F8 button it drops to around 40ish and in some cases it gets unplayable when there is too much action going on.
m
0
l
September 22, 2010 8:28:50 PM

Using a different HDD for recording helps decrease the amount of fps loss, but that still wouldn't explain why I will have 80fps with the settings lowered and 18 when I start recording.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 22, 2010 9:22:32 PM

Make sure you set your Fraps "settings" correctly.. I normally set it to 50FPS recording and sometimes I run the game in "windowed" mode just to keep the frame loss at a minimum. The HDD has nothing to do with the decrease in frames when recording with fraps, the software is just not up to par. I have been playing with fraps for many years and have not found a solution to the massive drop other than tweaking the settings before I record.
m
0
l
September 22, 2010 9:44:24 PM

Quote:
whats the logic behind recording during gameplay?Youtube uploads or something else.


I normally record my Dirt2 replays when I break a record at the highest difficulty.. I also have a few funny BC2 videos that are worth viewing more than once.

I will upload a few tonight so you can get an idea of what I am talking about ;) 


m
0
l
September 22, 2010 10:00:38 PM

Full version of course.. 30 seconds is nothing..

Bad thing about recording with fraps is the fact that it will hog your HDD, a 3min HD clip can take up to 20Gb's of disk space.
m
0
l
September 23, 2010 1:29:42 AM

You can use a slightly worse quality for smaller sizes, but it's not really worth it.
Fixed the crashing, and the settings for the most part. I had to lower my gpu's clocks from 950/1400 to 900/1300.
Getting about 30-40 while recording :D 
Hard drives do have an impact on recording and editing clips.
m
0
l
September 23, 2010 1:38:28 AM

dalta centauri said:
You can use a slightly worse quality for smaller sizes, but it's not really worth it.
Fixed the crashing, and the settings for the most part. I had to lower my gpu's clocks from 950/1400 to 900/1300.
Getting about 30-40 while recording :D 
Hard drives do have an impact on recording and editing clips.


I have dual 640's in Raid0 and have compared it to a single 640 when recording fraps and there is no difference. Maybe you have tested with an SSD?
m
0
l
September 23, 2010 2:59:45 PM

OvrClkr said:
I have dual 640's in Raid0 and have compared it to a single 640 when recording fraps and there is no difference. Maybe you have tested with an SSD?


No, 250gb 7200rpm.
Tried it on my 500gb which I normally use and I see about a 2-6fps drop.

Still, I lowered my resolution to 1440x900 and I still get about 40-50fps. FPS seems to jump around with v sync off going from 37, 82, 44, and mid 50's.
m
0
l
September 23, 2010 3:18:59 PM

dalta centauri said:
No, 250gb 7200rpm.
Tried it on my 500gb which I normally use and I see about a 2-6fps drop.

Still, I lowered my resolution to 1440x900 and I still get about 40-50fps. FPS seems to jump around with v sync off going from 37, 82, 44, and mid 50's.


Update, I did see a difference in "frame drop" while comparing both drives. It wasn't much but it helped keep it at around 45FPS most of the time. I tried uploading my current clips but the files were over the 500MB limit :(  . Going to convert the videos to mkv/avi and reduce the size.
m
0
l
September 24, 2010 1:29:08 AM

OvrClkr said:
Update, I did see a difference in "frame drop" while comparing both drives. It wasn't much but it helped keep it at around 45FPS most of the time. I tried uploading my current clips but the files were over the 500MB limit :(  . Going to convert the videos to mkv/avi and reduce the size.

Well, I messed around with alt+enter a few times since I would go at 1680x1050 and get only 20-30fps.
It seems the game itself is buggy?
m
0
l
!