Fried Motherboard replacement question...

jonwerner

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
Ok, my Abit AI7 got fried, dang phone lines. Anyway, I'm going to replace it with the same motherboard, so will I be able to just install the new motherboard and plug all my drives and junk back in and start up the computer like nothing happened? Let me know, thanks!

You should be able to just swap. If you have probs, then you can try doing a repair install of windows.

Are you sure you didn't fry anything else? Have you inspected the rest of the components?

jonwerner

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
Ya, I brought it to an actual Computer shop that tested everything in it. The modem, the motherboard and a stick of ram were bad. I had 2 gigs of ram, so I think I will be ok with 1.5gb for a while until I send the junk one in. I already have an extra modem. Thank god it didnt get to my 3 day old 6800 GT whew! Thanks and any additional comments are welcome.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Additonal comments? Your system will perform better with 1GB in dual-channel mode than 1.5GB in single-channel, which you'd be forced to use with 3 sticks of RAM.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Concur with Crash on the RAM...it would be around a 5% performance hit or more.

pat

Expert
should be more that 5%, it is an Intel CPU that love bandwidth.. I woudl say at least 20%

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>