X800 and WoW at 1600x1200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I swap out my monitor, want to check on something.

Right now I am running WoW at 1280x1024 resolution, x800 with 256MB or RAM. Runs OK, can't have all top settings just using 2x AA, no shadows, low to medium environment and high textures. The CPU and RAM are not being stressed at all, 3 gig Core 2 Duo with 4 gig of DDR3 RAM.

The new monitor I got is 1600x1200, will the x800 handle WoW at that rez with the same mix of medium and hight settings?

The reason I'm asking first is that the wife will yell at me for placing a larger monitor on our desk so I don't just want to plop it down to start testing it and then have to remove it anway when the game we both play quite a bit runs like crap.

Solution
At low settings you will be fine, anything higher than that will require a more powerful card. WoW is not one of those games you can play with an outdated GPU, Dalaran raids will turn into a slide-show if your GPU is not up to par regardless of the settings.

You need a new card, something like a GTX 460 or better =)

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I'm amazed that you are able to do that with the X800, I had a 9800GS and when I went to a 1680X1050 monitor, it was horrid, would not even display the desktop, got a 260GTX and play most games full up( all except HDR), you could try adjusting the res incrimentally up until you start stuttering

At low settings you will be fine, anything higher than that will require a more powerful card. WoW is not one of those games you can play with an outdated GPU, Dalaran raids will turn into a slide-show if your GPU is not up to par regardless of the settings.

You need a new card, something like a GTX 460 or better =)

Solution

X800 is not that bad of a card, it was high end when it came out. 256 memory interface, 256MB of memory. Odd that your 9800 would not display at that resolution, as long as the drivers are correct and the monitor inf file is there, just about any video card made can at least load Windows properly at pretty high resolutions.

I am working on a trade for a 8800GTS, as long as my PSU does not smoke when I use it, that should give me a big boost.

Thanks for the feedback.

I got the new monitor setup, at 1600x1200 I can't tell any framerate differences from 1280x1024. It may have gone from 60fps to 54fps, not really much of a change.

The new monitor has a S-PVA screen, the colors pop so much it feels like a new game. True the cost is much higher than the TN screens, but it's a huge difference in quality. And looks to me that the higher resolution did not do much for playability on the X800.

Once you start playing in large raids you will see where the card starts to bog down, in areas where nothing is going on you really won't feel the difference. Right now you can get a very nice deal on the 460 which should be more than enough to play WoW with some eye-candy. It's all about the visuals, and WoW looks great when you have everything cranked up but it's your call =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS