Soyo KT333, memory limit, upgrade time?

frankhuzzah

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2005
So my computer was starting to show some age. Well I should say that Adobe CS2 was forcing it to show some age. The fact that I couldn't keep Photoshop and Illustrator open was driving me nuts. ANYWAY, I decided to upgrade my memory. I had 512mb of PC2700 and I ordered a matched pair of Muskin 512mb PC2700 from Newegg.

After struggling with getting them to work I finally found an entry in Soyo's Knowledge Base that states that you can only use 2 memory banks with PC2700 memory. So now I'm sitting with an extra 512mb lying around. Obviously not an ideal solution.

I really don't want to spend a lot of money, but I want to get the full 1.5gb of ram that I own working. Is it worth it to simply upgrade my motherboard?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
under $50 (USD) will get you a KT600-based mobo, or for a bit more (recommended) you can get an nForce2-based one.

Then again, it kindof depends on the rest of your system, what else you use it for, and things like that.

What CPU and graphics card to you have in it? What else do you use your system for?)

If you can, RMA that PC2700 stuff, and get PC3200 stuff - the prices should be about the same, and PC3200 can be used in a socket 939 board should you decide to upgrade.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

frankhuzzah

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2005
Basically this computer is used for Photoshop and Illustrator. I also use it for general purpose things, surfing the web, e-mail, but the bulk is graphic editing. I was thinking something along the lines of nForce2 board. I was browsing Newegg and seems like I can get something fairly cheap. I've got a Geforce 5200, I believe. Don't game to much any more so it is enough.

And yeah, I'm definately looking to send this memory back. It's just really annoying that they have 3 memory banks in this board, but you can only use 2... Oh well, I've certainly gotten my monies worth.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Try and google your problem, sometimes in the forums like this someone had already had that problem and are a better source of knowledge than the manufacturer itself.

<b><font color=green>Celibacy is not hereditary<font color=green></b>