Sign in with
Your question

What Mobo for X2 amd? Abit or Asus?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 16, 2005 6:04:39 AM

yea, i'm planning on buying an Dual core in Oct, but i cant decided on a mobo for it. I will only use Abit or Asus, prefer ABIT tho its the only one i've used. I was thiking the 3rd eye, but i'm waiting to see if a new abit comes out.

I use my rig for Heavy ammounts of Rendering (3d studio) and Gameing, and some Anime shows. Suggestions would be very much apperciated.

More about : mobo amd abit asus

July 16, 2005 6:39:20 AM

The nforce chipset is best. Gettting one of the Abit AN8 boards looks like a good choice.
July 16, 2005 7:05:04 AM

ohh yea forgot to mention, has to be AGP. just bought a x850xt pe. dont want to put it to waste :-\
Related resources
July 16, 2005 1:46:16 PM

I wonder if Abit is going to make a board with the ULi chipset - that might be a good option, too...

July 16, 2005 6:37:19 PM

lol i wonder if some of you even read my post. only abit or asus :-p with agp. But i'll take in mind the UL8.
July 16, 2005 7:18:15 PM

The problem is that Abit and Asus don't have any socket 939 AGP boards that are worth recommending at this time. People aren't going to recommend a flakey board just because it has a particular name stamped on it!
July 17, 2005 1:38:01 AM

$130 is expensive for an AN8 Ultra?
July 17, 2005 5:14:42 AM

Bah, those are just priced so much because they have the ankle grabber's name on them. Gotta whore yourself to make a dollar now-a-days I guess :/ 
July 17, 2005 1:26:41 PM

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2471" target="_new">ULi 1695</A> Read up and realize that we did read the post. This is the only chipset - so far - that will support PCIe and fully enabled AGP 8X.

July 17, 2005 1:52:21 PM

But rather slowly on the PCIe side... Ok it was a preproduction board so maybe it could be fixed with a BIOS update.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>
July 17, 2005 2:11:44 PM

Agreed on both points. Still for the future vid card upgradeability and the current AGP support, it is a great option.

July 17, 2005 2:24:29 PM

Except that, with a X850XT PE and the X2 he want, by the time it become obsolete, I'm not even sure that it will worth it to put a nice and newer PCIe card on that rather old hardware...

He should get the board he need, use it as long as he can, then swith to a new mobo/ram/cpu that will be current at this time. This thing should last easyly more than 2 years.. who knows what will be available? Socket M2, DDR2, better SATA HDD and interface,..

OTOH, if it has a slow AGP videocard, but not enough money to get a better one for the moment, then this could be an option. Getting a better CPU with that board, and later, upgrade to a nice PCIe card. I would rather save my money for the video card and buy everything at once. So, the motherboard will be cheaper, as well as the CPU, or a faster version for the same price than the one available now.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>
July 17, 2005 7:49:59 PM

All good points. Throwing out an option for a high end system with AGP and PCIe option for later. The 6800GT that he has right now will last for tow years as well. Although you and I are more likely to get a new system vice upgrading, some people like that type of option...

July 18, 2005 3:44:30 AM

? Sorry I don't spend all day staring at my monitor reloading THG forums.

The AN8 Ultra can handle the same or higher v than the AN8 Fatality. The AN8 Ultra is an updated version of the AN8 Fatality, without the retard's endorsement or price tag.
!