How Can I tell if this Motherboard is Dead?

davidan

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2005
Hi Everyone. This is my first post here. I have used Tom's Hardware a lot over the years so I am hoping someone here in the community may be able to help me.

I have a PC which has been working without any issues for about 2 years now. The motherboard is an ASUS P4T533-C running an Intel 3.0 GHZ Pentium Processor.

This morning my wife indicated to me that the computer was hung. I figured it was nothing more than a Windows issue and told her I would look into it. However, when I got to the computer it was not giving signal to the monitor and would not reboot. Meaning if you powered it down , the power would come back to it through the power supply but it will not even POST. No beep codes or anything. So I took the case off and started looking for obvious things like loose cables, etc. Found no problems, so I began to reseat the memory, test and alternative video card, try to boot from CD etc. Again no POST, I dont even get to BIOS for instance. I am afraid that the motherboard has either gone bad, although it's receiving power and the light on the board is illuminated. Or maybe the processor? I even put another hard drive in, although I figured without even getting to post that wouldn't be the issue. Sure enough that wasnt the problem either.

Before I start spending money on trial and error replacement parts does anyone have any suggestions of how I can get to root cause of the problem?

PS, no power outages, etc. The rest of the computers in the house are working fine.

Thanks in advance.

David

peterjedi

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
This almost sounds identical to my problem with the same P4T533-C motherboard, except my system would occationally boot. Once booted the system was rock sold stable. I did replace the motherboard. That appears to be my problem.

Not sure if your problem is the motherboard. You can try re-setting the CMOS by removing the battery, remove the jumper for the CMOS, put back jumper, and put back battery. (In the manual). See if this does anything. I was lucky to have another CPU to test with (GA-8IHXP using the same CPU). This eliminated the CPU as the problem. I found a ok price of my motherboard on ebay, but I am always weary with buy motherboards on ebay. Make sure you check for highly rated sellers.

Good luck,

Peter

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Read the FAQs on the motherboard forum, and try some of that stuff.

<b><font color=blue>If you try to please everybody, nobody will like you<font color=blue></b>

G

hi guys i have a similar problem i have 2 mobos. one powers up but no post and the other one doesnt power up, no post or display but has an led light lit up.