Notebook for Heavy Graphics

G

I am in the market for a laptop, and am considering the Toshiba 4600/1GHz, 256K ram, 30GB HD, CDR/DVD, Trident XP graphics controller w/16MB SDRAM. I don't travel alot, but need a laptop when I do. I plan to use this machine as a desktop replacement at home.

My main concern is the graphics capability of this notebook - I will be using PhotoShop and Illustrator, often fairly large (30 MB+) files. Should I be worried? Should I get a notebook with the NVIDIA GeForce2go card instead, or would this make a difference?

Thanks for any opinions!

Julie

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
This DELL Laptop is better than the toshiba for about the same price:

Inspiron 8100
--------------
PIII 1.0 GHZ w/<b>133fsb</b>
15" SXGA screen
256mb RAM
30 GB Hard drive
<b>32mb DDR 4x AGP Nvidia Geforce2 Go</b>
8x DVD
8x CDRW
10/100 ethernet + 56k modem

This laptop uses the i815 chipset, which will give you added performance, and unlike the Toshiba, the Dell has 133 FSB--which will give you MUCH more performance. The 32mb DDR geforce2 go can speak for itself.
Best thing is that you can totally customize the notebook to your needs via the <A HREF="http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.asp?customer_id=19&keycode=6V941&order_code=8ONERM&view=1" target="_new">internet</A>.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

G

Although it goes against my nature, if you want a notebook that will run Graphics like Photoshop and you aren't doing alot of stuff like working in Visio and excel and stuff....

GULP.... you may consider getting a MAC..... It really hurts to say that, but the Powerbook G4 is as good as it gets for graphics in a notebook, and it looks really cool too.

I'm a PC guy at heart, but MAC is the bomb for Graphics, just pay no attention to the clock rate.

G

The only issue I have with the Dell is that it's simply HUGE! That thing weighs over 8 lbs, and is almost 2 inches thick. The Toshiba Satellite 3000-S353 offers a great balance between performance, size (5 1/2lbs, 1.4" thick), and price. I got one for $1500 (about $400 cheaper than the Dell at the time I was looking) and it has a 16MB nVidia GeForce2Go card, which isn't too shabby for a laptop. Although if you don't mind lugging it around and paying the price, the Dell does offer better performance if you get the top of the line configuration.