Disappearing CD-ROM drives

G

Hi all,

I have installed Win2000 Pro on a PC I build myself. Specs are as follows:
AMD Athlon 950 MHz, Asus A7Pro motherboard, 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, Asus AGP-V7100 graphics board, two IBM 30 Gb ATA hard disks.

My two CD-ROM drives, a Sony CDU4811 and a Ricoh DVD/CD-RW MP9060 are recognized in the BIOS but don't show up in Windows Explorer, nor in Control Panel. Boot-up is very slow because it's looking for CD-ROM drives it doesn't find.

I managed to completely install W2k by copying the i386 folder on the CD-ROM to my hard disk using another PC and a CompactFlash card, which I put into a USB card reader.

The two CD-ROM drives do show up when I boot in save mode.

I have reinstalled W2k several times and always end up with the same problem.

Any ideas will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

G

Hmmm... I don't think so... Although I'm not running service pack 1 right now, I have installed it on a previous occasion and it didn't solve the problem.

I bougth Windows ME this morning (damn, that's another addition to Bill's bottom line). See if that solves the problem.

Thanks anyway.

Diablo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe it's a stupid remark but anyway : did you check the bios if those 2 drives are enabled ?(I mean : secondary master / slave controller)
I had a similar problem with my ABIT KT7R, In the post screen I saw the m/b recognizing my 2 cdrom's but in win98/win2k they were not visible. They were simply disabled in the bios... hope this helps

:cool: Visit me at <A HREF="http://casemod.tripod.com" target="_new">http://casemod.tripod.com</A> :cool:

G

Are there any messages in the Event Viewer? Start\Programs\Administative Tools\Event Viewer.

How about in the device manager? Right click on My Computer\Properties\Hardware\Device Manager. Any red "bangs" there?

I had this problem whith my SCSI-CDR. Turns out one of the PCI slots was conflicting with my on-board SCSI (ASUS P2B DS). I moved the NIC card from the slot it was in to another slot and it worked fine.

Look in the Event Viewer for clues. Put the info here and maybe someone can guide you from there.

G

The second IDE channel is enabled in the BIOS and both CD-ROM drives show up there. There are no conflicts in Device manager. Don't know about event viewer.

In the meantime I installed Windows ME, where both CD-ROM drives show up and work as expected. This clearly shows it's a OS problem, not a hardware problem.

The question remains: why do they show up in WinME, not in Win2k???

I'll stick with WinME for now.

Thanks

G

Try WIN2K or WIN NT 4 drivers after you double check you bios settings. Some times switching both CDROMs' position as master or slave helps.

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
What CD-burning software is installed? I had an issue with a couple Yamaha CDRWs and NERO. The CDRWs just wouldn't show up at all. It turned out that Windows Media Player (or was it RealOne player) installed with the CD-burning option enabled, which will install the Roxio CDRW codecs and drivers. This caused all the problems, because competing CDRW software does not play well together. Once I uninstalled the CD-burning options and Roxio codecs, the CDRW was recognized and NERO ran great.

Jarrett