Sign in with
Your question
Closed

FPS Invert Mouse or not?

Last response: in Video Games
May 18, 2003 7:53:55 AM

I invert the mouse in every fps, period. A lot of guys I know don't invert it and constantly make fun of me "I don't want to fly a plane while I shoot my gun"

I say I push down on the butt of a gun to make it go up, and so on.

Does everybody out there invert or not? (I invert 100%)

It's all good ^_^

More about : fps invert mouse

May 18, 2003 4:16:39 PM

I always invert it myself. True, most people think its odd. . .right up until I blow them away. Then they usually calm down a bit.
May 18, 2003 4:22:27 PM

Well I DO fly airplanes, however I want my weapon to aim where I tell it to. If I want to aim slightly up, I move my mouse up. There is no reason for me to make my mind switch 180 degrees from everything else that is done with the mouse. To move my mouse up on the screen in Microsoft Windows, I move my mouse up. So why invert the mouse? Just one more calculation your brain must do and one more way to screw up IMHO. When I hold a real gun, I move the barrel up and down, because the butt is planted on y shoulder, and I tend to keep it there. So even that is backwards. When somebody tells you to aim higher, 99.9995 percent of the world will aim the barrel higher, not the butt lower.

What are we going to do tonight Brain?
The same thing we do every night Pinky; <b>Try to take over the world!</b>
Related resources
May 18, 2003 5:06:21 PM

it's just a preference, i'd say about 50% of my friends play with the inverted option selected in a FPS. I myself do not, because my brain does not have the capacity to corelate "up means down & down means up"; its preference is down means down & up means up =).
May 18, 2003 5:54:37 PM

Maybe part of my "problem" is that I played flying games (Terminal Velocity anyone?) before I played an FPS (well, except for Doom original, that only operated on the x axis). When I jumped to FPS, it was just natural to move inverted.
May 18, 2003 8:24:03 PM

I like inverted.

I lived off Descent, Terminal Velocity, and Tie Fighter when I was younger though...
May 18, 2003 8:31:24 PM

Yeah, I was playing games like Wing Commander long before the fps came around (besides Doom, Hexen, or Wolf3d anyway)

I guess I aim a gun by the barrel too, it's strange.

A few games will either have no invert option, or will have invert only option, which drives a lot of people crazy

It's all good ^_^
May 19, 2003 2:38:28 AM

ewwwwwwww i hate my mouse inverted.

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>
May 19, 2003 9:23:42 AM

i alays use inverted mouse

i used to fly airplanes, and i played flight sims before FPshooters

just feels natural

-------

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

"You change the channel, and you change our minds..." - System of a Down
May 19, 2003 9:37:02 AM

Yeah, I've been in aviation my whole life. I just got my A&P, I play FS2002 Pro ALL THE TIME and love to fly. So it is natural for me to fly an airplane down is up, but not when I am aiming a gun.

May 19, 2003 4:43:41 PM

I leave my mouse normal, but when I play Halo on the X-Box I like to have the aim inverted so pushing up looks down.
May 20, 2003 4:19:30 AM

Given that non-inverters are dextrous, inverters would be sinister.

:) 

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
May 20, 2003 5:16:16 PM

I use inverted for only one reason: it is how the first FPS game I played was setted as default(I do not remember which one it was though).

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies
May 20, 2003 10:54:04 PM

goloap

Same here. I got used to being inverted cause it was the default on the first games I played as well. Hmmm thinking back that would have been Doom or Duke.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.
May 20, 2003 11:51:34 PM

You 2 guys rock on, that's exactly what I'm talking about

It's all good ^_^
May 21, 2003 12:09:40 AM

Lakedude: Doom didn't have mouselook, so it would have been duke.
May 21, 2003 1:11:41 AM

Duke it is then (still one of my favs)!

Just finished the full version of Shadow Warrior for the first time. I like the old games with attitude/good sound effects. The new games are much better visually but the old ones rock for smart a$$ comments and fun.

May 21, 2003 3:20:23 AM

I remember the cool posters in the background of the Duke games, or the hot naked pixelated strippers

It's all good ^_^
May 21, 2003 3:41:37 AM

Or the OJ chase sceen, or the "your terminated", or "make my day", or the dead doom guy, or the "I'm gonna rip of you head and ......." and then he actually does! Way cool.

May 21, 2003 7:26:36 AM

The thing is, you don't actually move mouse up/down, but forward/backward :p . If you want to look up in a real world, you move your head -backward-, if you want to look at your feet :) , you move your head -forward-. Does it make any sense :D  ?
May 21, 2003 8:07:35 AM

My first FPS was Wolfenstein3d on an old CompuAdd 286. It was defaulted to normal I think. I remember when Duke Nukem was new, I was like "Awesome, that is so radical!" Yep, awesome and radical were cool words back then.......

May 21, 2003 12:29:08 PM

Every time I say the word excellent, I think of that teenager yelling "Excellent!" when the MTV satellite gets blown up in the movie Spies Like Us

It's all good ^_^
May 21, 2003 9:53:09 PM

I also think of similar things, including Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and happy crap like that. Remember, this was back when Micheal Jackson was cool............

May 22, 2003 12:23:30 AM

"this was back when Micheal Jackson was cool............"

That HAS been a while.

May 22, 2003 9:14:22 AM

You like that analogy? LMAO I thought it was good :p 

May 22, 2003 1:59:21 PM

I remember being into Michael Jackson, and freaking out whenever he voiced that guy on the Simpsons who thought he was Michael Jackson

Man, I miss the 80's/early 90's; sure I was young, very young, but I still miss the days of Saved by the Bell, lol

It's all good ^_^<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by namek0 on 05/22/03 09:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 22, 2003 6:43:55 PM

Personally I leave the Y axis normal. I like to invert the X axis. If you think about it, in order to walk to the right you have to push off to the left, and vice versa. Just makes more sense to me.
:p 

<font color=blue>-Freelancer fanboy.</font color=blue>
May 22, 2003 10:47:04 PM

Hah, if that option was available, I guarantee you someone would use it, then I'd have to make fun of them

It's all good ^_^
May 23, 2003 6:05:51 AM

Yep, I used to be into that crap.. Though I also liked to watch Knight Rider and Air Wolf..............

I watched Saved by the Bell when I got home from Elementary school too.

May 23, 2003 12:33:57 PM

yeah, Knight Rider, and the original Unsolved Mysteries too. You don't know how scary that show can be to a kid in the first or second grade

I didn't even mention how badass Quantum Leap was, woo

And I guess for Star Trek thrusters (not impulse) all the directions would be sort of backwards too: left - starboard, right - move port, etc

It's all good ^_^
May 23, 2003 1:05:50 PM

I know this has nothign to do with this thread, but I'm so freaking tired right now. Summer intersession along with work is killing me. How many days in a row do I have to get up at 5:30, aarg. I don't mind getting up early (that much) I mind being a dumbass and stayin up past 12 every school night.

I can't help being wide awake, and my room is in the most social part of the house, so everybody...hangs out, because it's summer and they can be lazy unlike me

Can't wait until August 7th baby

It's all good ^_^
May 24, 2003 8:11:23 AM

Oh man, I STILL watch Quantum Leap on the SciFi channel.

The original Unsolved Mysteries was a great show. I remember Bob Sagat and America's Funniest Home Videos used to be funny too.......

I used to watch G.I. Joe cartoons all the time, that and Voltron. McGyver was an awsome show too. I could go on forever......

June 5, 2003 12:41:12 PM

Always inverted!!! When I'm playing FPS's I imagine that my mouse hand is resting on the head of my character....so to look down I'd push forward. Makes sense to me!

Fatal Error #449: Unable to process the "Go to Hell" command specified.
June 5, 2003 1:00:48 PM

Very good point Playbus. The day I stop inverting is when I get a virtual gun , or something similar to a holodeck from Star Trek

It's all good ^_^
June 5, 2003 1:40:58 PM

mmmmmmmm......holodeck. Oooh, the things I'd get up to with one of those. muhahahahaha

Fatal Error #449: Unable to process the "Go to Hell" command specified.
June 7, 2003 11:39:05 PM

"I could only imagine what I'd do with a holodeck........"

I could only imagine who I'd do with a holodeck........

June 14, 2003 8:56:56 AM

Inverted. For me this comes down to how my brain interprets the physics - in real life if I want to look up at the sky, I move my head backwards. I don't think of it as aiming the weapon, it's where I want to look. None of my mates play with the axis inverted though, and they all think I'm weird.
July 23, 2011 11:36:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!