Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Who is purchasing Windows 8?

Last response: in Windows 8
Share

Are you purchasing Windows 8?

Total: 167 votes (28 blank votes)

  • I already have Windows 8
  • 35 %
  • Yes, will get it before the January price hike
  • 15 %
  • Yes, will get it no matter the price
  • 1 %
  • Undecided
  • 16 %
  • Hell no
  • 34 %
October 26, 2012 4:55:10 PM

So, today is Win8 day. Are you upgrading? Are you not? What machines? and Why?

Personally I went to microcenter today and picked up the DVD pro upgrade discs for $40 (normally $70 for discs, and $40 for download) for my touch screen netbook... because it is a touch screen netbook, and win8 is sweet on a touch screen. Having that $30 off, plus the announcement yesterday that native DVD functionality (via the MCE extensions) would be free until January makes a nice added bonus (or rather the way it should be to begin with). Anywho, for me win8 is not worth the upgrade at $70+ per copy, but at $40 I find it difficult to say no.

When I opened the box I was super happy to see that it includes the discs for both the 32 and 64bit versions, so if I end up getting win8 for the rest of the machines I should be able to use these discs on each computer, and then just purchase the license online for each machine (32bit on the netbooks, and 64bit on the desktops).

For my desktops I am holding out a little bit to see about WP8, and if it is what I am expecting it to be then I will be getting a pair of WP8 phones for the wife and I, and then 3 more copies of win8 to update the rest of the machines, if not then I will be going for an SGS3, and we will stick with win7 on the rest of the machines.

Moderator edit: Added "I already have Windows 8" answer.

More about : purchasing windows

October 26, 2012 5:21:15 PM

I have 5 machine's in my house so $40 a machine is a hell of a lot better then $100 something a machine. I've already put it on my Media center machine, it went really well, took about 1 hour, all settings and files including emails were still there. I haven't gotten the Media Center product key yet and for this machine that's important. I'm now installing it on my main machine now.
October 26, 2012 5:21:45 PM

Well, my vote option wasn't on there so I didn't vote, but I got my copy for freeee! But I am not using it, will wait for some sort of inspiration or a good reason to. For the record, any IT/CS/ISYS students out there, check with your department to see if they provide access to the Microsoft Academic Alliance, you can get lots and lots of free-use software there (well, 2 years free use, but I am fairly sure you can use do upgrades on the versions they provide and it becomes your copy). I have all the latest Microsoft server programs, Visual Studio Ultimate, Microsoft Expressions, it's great!
Related resources
October 26, 2012 5:30:41 PM

I will be upgrading soon just so i can keep current on my machines. Microsoft has made it dirt cheap to upgrade and all though i dont feel like learning how to use it, it seems like I have to get used to metro since desktop mode is probably going to be omitted from windows 8. Damn microsoft.
October 26, 2012 5:42:52 PM

Your desktop is still there, you just click on desktop and your there or open windows live mail and it goes right to the desktop, there's nothing difficult to learn no reason to be afraid of upgrading.
October 26, 2012 5:44:44 PM

john henry said:
I will be upgrading soon just so i can keep current on my machines. Microsoft has made it dirt cheap to upgrade and all though i dont feel like learning how to use it, it seems like I have to get used to metro since desktop mode is probably going to be omitted from windows 8. Damn microsoft.

Desktop is not going away any time soon. There is a chance win9 could possibly drop it... but to be honest I have a hell of a lot more money in software than I will ever have in hardware, and if it comes to a choice of giving up my multi-thousand dollar software suites vs having a recent version of Windows, then it would make my decision very easy. I am not alone in that opinion, and I think that it will be several years before the user base moves to enough metro replacement apps to allow a shift away from the desktop.

My bet is that on future versions we will see a desktop on the main version of windows for years to come simply because business would revolt. But that more and more machines will run windows RT, or something similar, and once they can reliably run office in metro without compromise then we will see the desktop interface disappear off of those devices on v2 whenever that comes out.
October 26, 2012 5:45:56 PM

I'm tempted to get it for the sake of remaining current, except there's not been the first peep suggesting my work environment will be using it. If it visibly boosts the performance of Piledriver, AND the price of the FX-8350 comes down to around $169 to $179 (perhaps around Black Friday), I may get both of them then. For now, I don't see a compelling reason to buy it.
October 26, 2012 6:02:30 PM

the piledriver fix is already in on win7... it only helped by ~3% or so on most of the benchmarks I saw. The new AMD chips are coming out soon (or did they come out? I don't follow AMD too closely) and seem to do MUCH better on single thread performance compared to the last version. But still behind Sandy and Ivy on !/$ for everything except for things like video editing and server workloads.
October 27, 2012 3:26:08 AM

Why do I need this upgrade?
a b * Windows 8
October 27, 2012 3:31:33 AM

homesystech said:
Why do I need this upgrade?


The poll is asking if you are upgrading, not why you are upgrading. No one is forcing you to get it.
a b * Windows 8
October 27, 2012 3:37:29 AM

I upgraded this morning, I love Windows 8, it's not to shabby at all. I installed Start8 to get back the start menu; I still use Metro too.

Overall I love the OS.

You can actually use the upgrade version to do a clean install off a DVD or USB drive, but you will need to contact Microsoft and they will activate it for you, took 10 minutes to get it done.
a b * Windows 8
October 27, 2012 4:04:01 AM

I selected Hell No.
But if I could get for the $15 Bucks, I'd buy and at least wait 6 Months and see what the score is However, do NOT qualify for $15. Not going to spend $50 bucks on something that is really of limited value to me. Only thing I saw in the bata version was an 8 sec boot. Gee that saves me what 4 Sec a Day. Please don't say 4 sec add up - have to do something useful for 4 sec. Work system stays on 24/7 and work WILL NOT be getting win 8.

PS have an Asus TF700 tablet already, do Not need a desktop that looks like a tablet.
a b * Windows 8
October 27, 2012 4:11:06 AM

I have had Windows 8 on both my laptop and my desktop since it was made available to MSDN members.

It's a pretty sweet OS with a lot of improvements.

One of my favorites is that by double clicking on an ISO file, Windows will automatically mount it on its own virtual drive. No more need to use MagicISO, Alcohol120 or anything like that.

I also like the new start menu. The animated tiles are far better than the traditional icons. Folder organization would be nice and I hope that MS adds it in sooner rather than later but it's got a ton of potential.
October 27, 2012 4:11:11 AM

RetiredChief said:
I selected Hell No.
But if I could get for the $15 Bucks, I'd buy and at least wait 6 Months and see what the score is However, do NOT qualify for $15. Not going to spend $50 bucks on something that is really of limited value to me. Only thing I saw in the bata version was an 8 sec boot. Gee that saves me what 4 Sec a Day. Please don't say 4 sec add up - have to do something useful for 4 sec. Work system stays on 24/7 and work WILL NOT be getting win 8.

PS have an Asus TF700 tablet already, do Not need a desktop that looks like a tablet.



I'm with you in this one. I'm currently building my rig and just bought a window 7 CD. I don't plan to buy windows 8 for a very long time unless required to. Don't like how our desktop is looking like tablets. Tablets are tablets, desktop are desktop. Simple as that. Gee Gee to windows and they're new os + logo.
a c 381 * Windows 8
October 27, 2012 4:32:47 AM

I installed it on a TX2000 touchpad running a dual core Turion,it now runs as if it had a Quad core and an SSD... Fun to use too, though I'm not too sure about replacing 7 on my desktop just yet...
a b * Windows 8
October 27, 2012 5:49:14 AM

I plan on skipping it at least for now. I'm still very happy with Windows 7 Utimate on my desktop and Home Premium on my laptop. The only way I see getting Windows 8 would be if my laptop had to be replaced or some new magic touchscreen device was released that I just was compelled to buy.
a b * Windows 8
October 27, 2012 6:27:59 AM

Got 4 copy's for my 3 rigs and my laptop. Will spend the weekend upgrading all 4 of them! Windows 8 is by far the best Microsoft OS so far bar none.
October 27, 2012 6:56:20 AM

No not upgrading, don't even plan to.

Doesn't offer a compelling reason to upgrade, does nothing that i can't do already with Win 7, plus i'll have to deal with metro.

Yes, a better task manager (which i like) and...and? mount .iso files? I use Daemon Tools so that's not new...do i want metro and no start button? no...do i use WMP? yes, and to play DVDs too...do i use Media Center? No. 25s boot anyway, which'll be faster once i go from a core 2 quad to a Haswell i5 next year.

Tried Win 8 at their launch press conference on the 25th, found it great for touchscreens but it felt odd on normal PCs. Didn't like the new desktop (aesthetically). Felt too flat, weird.

Maybe didn't have time with it? Dunno. Anyway, don't see the use of it.

Will upgrade to NT 7 when it releases. Till then, Win 7 is heaven.
October 27, 2012 1:30:38 PM

edogawa said:
I upgraded this morning, I love Windows 8, it's not to shabby at all. I installed Start8 to get back the start menu; I still use Metro too.

Overall I love the OS.

You can actually use the upgrade version to do a clean install off a DVD or USB drive, but you will need to contact Microsoft and they will activate it for you, took 10 minutes to get it done.


I'm using the Start8 as well. The more I've played around with this the easier it has become so I might do away with Start8 soon.
a b * Windows 8
October 27, 2012 3:45:32 PM

I don't qualify for the $15 upgrade not to mention i am unable to afford the regular price. For me it doesn't offer anything new that i really like. Didn't like the new start menu ui. I am happy with the way Win 7 is & i will be waiting to see what Win 9 has in store.
October 27, 2012 3:55:27 PM

Remember OS: Me or Vista? After those OSs I'm in no rush to upgrade until Windows 8 can show real worth.
a b * Windows 8
October 27, 2012 4:33:24 PM

envy14tpe said:
Remember OS: Me or Vista? After those OSs I'm in no rush to upgrade until Windows 8 can show real worth.


Yes I remember both of those operating systems and used both extensively. Comparing Windows 8 to either one of them without outlining any similarities or actually using the operating system speaks of stupidity and ignorance.
a b * Windows 8
October 27, 2012 6:33:01 PM

Would be interesting to find a "poll" for win 7 at the same time frame, If memory serves me correct Win 7 had much more positive feedback.

@ pinhedd, On simularity that win 8 shares with Vista, is the corporate world. The vast majority skipped vista and it Looks like the same for Windows 8. The corporate world "may" adapt win8 tablets (the question here is it to late as not only ipad but now android tablets have a good foothold). But for their "work" systems (laptops and desktops) from all that I've read - looking like a pass - could be wrong but probably not.

For what it is worth vista could have become the same as windows 7 with a service pack; However MS felt it had to dump the Name Vista to get businesses to buy.
October 27, 2012 7:27:46 PM

I'm holding off for now, waiting for opinions from major techies and waiting to see if Steam is going to have full support or if Microsoft is going to try to shove them out of the way. Some reviews I've read so far report that using third party services such as Google products is less than pleasant. The biggest thing that horrifies me is that they are tucking my desktop away in a corner, and the fact that you can't boot straight to it. Also, I make frequent use of my start button :( 
October 27, 2012 7:37:29 PM

I bought Windows 7 recently to make sure I could skip Windows 8.
October 27, 2012 9:12:13 PM

will I be upgrading? No. BUT I will be building a smaller media type pc with a new a10 just to check it out. and 69 or 79 for a full version of the 64 bit version is a better deal than 7. I work with cellular tech so testing with win 8 would be nice
October 27, 2012 9:27:15 PM

if i end up buying another 1tb drive in the next year, im going to probably allocate some of it to try out Win8, as well as try Linux.
October 27, 2012 9:44:08 PM

I bought one copy of Win 8 for my main desktop but I am leaving my other two desktops and two laptops on Win 7 as Win 7 performs perfectly well. I am leaving my Win 8 on the shelf for now. I do believe it is a good OS but when I tried to play WC3 it binned it very badly. I believe that drivers will need to mature a little and older third party software needs updating before I can use Win 8 the way I want.
a b * Windows 8
October 28, 2012 12:37:29 AM

screamoluvr said:
I'm holding off for now, waiting for opinions from major techies and waiting to see if Steam is going to have full support or if Microsoft is going to try to shove them out of the way. Some reviews I've read so far report that using third party services such as Google products is less than pleasant. The biggest thing that horrifies me is that they are tucking my desktop away in a corner, and the fact that you can't boot straight to it. Also, I make frequent use of my start button :( 


Steam works just fine. Almost all of the core Windows Vista and Windows 7 APIs remain fully intact and as such, any application or user-mode driver should work just fine without modification. I have yet to find something which doesn't work exactly as it did under Windows 7, and many run better.
a b * Windows 8
October 28, 2012 12:43:23 AM

RetiredChief said:
Would be interesting to find a "poll" for win 7 at the same time frame, If memory serves me correct Win 7 had much more positive feedback.

@ pinhedd, On simularity that win 8 shares with Vista, is the corporate world. The vast majority skipped vista and it Looks like the same for Windows 8. The corporate world "may" adapt win8 tablets (the question here is it to late as not only ipad but now android tablets have a good foothold). But for their "work" systems (laptops and desktops) from all that I've read - looking like a pass - could be wrong but probably not.

For what it is worth vista could have become the same as windows 7 with a service pack; However MS felt it had to dump the Name Vista to get businesses to buy.


That's a fair assessment but not quite what I was referring to. Windows ME was a dog for product reasons rather than marketing reasons. Windows Vista pre SP1 was a dog for mostly marketing reasons (palatable OS shoved onto insultingly cheap hardware). The paradigm shift that accompanied the XP -> Vista transition meant that designing software properly for Vista was quite a bit different than designing it properly for XP. It took some developers years to get their *** in order but by that point Windows 7 was already on store shelves. Windows Vista SP1 is quite good and I was using Windows Server 2008 on a few machines until quite recently.

Windows 8 follows the same paradigm as Windows Vista and Windows 7. The only "noticeable" change is the new start menu, other than that I have yet to notice anything that has changed undergone a significant structural change.
October 28, 2012 12:50:27 AM

screamoluvr said:
I'm holding off for now, waiting for opinions from major techies and waiting to see if Steam is going to have full support or if Microsoft is going to try to shove them out of the way. Some reviews I've read so far report that using third party services such as Google products is less than pleasant. The biggest thing that horrifies me is that they are tucking my desktop away in a corner, and the fact that you can't boot straight to it. Also, I make frequent use of my start button :( 


Bought downloaded and installed the pro version, thus far I have no complaints. The OS is very quick and reponsive, Metro will take some time getting use to though its nice to see live updated info on the titles. Bioshock 2, and Lost Planet doesnt work properly but thats not a big deal. I will most probably do a clean install when my new Samsung 840 256GB comes in.
a b * Windows 8
October 28, 2012 12:55:08 AM

Pinhedd said:
That's a fair assessment but not quite what I was referring to. Windows ME was a dog for product reasons rather than marketing reasons. Windows Vista pre SP1 was a dog for mostly marketing reasons (palatable OS shoved onto insultingly cheap hardware). The paradigm shift that accompanied the XP -> Vista transition meant that designing software properly for Vista was quite a bit different than designing it properly for XP. It took some developers years to get their *** in order but by that point Windows 7 was already on store shelves. Windows Vista SP1 is quite good and I was using Windows Server 2008 on a few machines until quite recently.

Windows 8 follows the same paradigm as Windows Vista and Windows 7. The only "noticeable" change is the new start menu, other than that I have yet to notice anything that has changed undergone a significant structural change.


On that point, I think a better comparison would actually be a poll asking the same question about Vista when it shipped, rather than Windows 7.
October 28, 2012 12:55:57 AM

lol, every time I do a win8 poll I get the same result of an equal amount of positive and negitive, with a few undecideds, I thought after the release I would get a different result.

Anywho, yesterday I picked up a new mobo (z77 for RAID0 Trim support... made a noticeable difference by the way compared to 2 months of running SSDs in RAID0 without Trim for those who are curious), and installed win8 64, and everything went fine. Then I started installing drivers, and something died, which caused me to have to start over. Reload everything a 2nd time, and this time I install the drivers, followed by a reset after each one like you are supposed to (something I have not done since winXP!!! so frustrating!!!!), and come to find out that the Lucid Logic installer I have screwed the system up. Again it was irrecoverable, so I had to install it a 3rd time! But this time I skipped Virtu and all is happy. I never use virtu, so I won't miss it, but I am a little curious about if it is just the copy I have on hand, or if something about the program simply kills win8. Fresh install all 3 times btw.

At any rate... I am not so curious as to try it again now that everything is working properly.

Debating about upgrading the wife's PC to an Ivy bridge i3 with HD4000 graphics to replace the aging Core2Duo and under-utilized 9800GT before doing the final upgrade to win8. It is not so much that she 'needs' the upgrade as much as the hardware is 5 years old now, and I would rather replace it now when I am formatting the system anyways, rather than waiting till it breaks and having to format and fix everything when I don't have the time...
October 28, 2012 12:56:52 AM

In other news:

It seems that Staples is joining Microcenter in offering the DVD 32 and 64bit bundle for $40 instead of the suggested MSRP of $70. I think that will help people a bit more as Microcenters are not exactly proliffic
a b * Windows 8
October 28, 2012 1:26:14 AM

CaedenV said:
lol, every time I do a win8 poll I get the same result of an equal amount of positive and negitive, with a few undecideds, I thought after the release I would get a different result.

Anywho, yesterday I picked up a new mobo (z77 for RAID0 Trim support... made a noticeable difference by the way compared to 2 months of running SSDs in RAID0 without Trim for those who are curious), and installed win8 64, and everything went fine. Then I started installing drivers, and something died, which caused me to have to start over. Reload everything a 2nd time, and this time I install the drivers, followed by a reset after each one like you are supposed to (something I have not done since winXP!!! so frustrating!!!!), and come to find out that the Lucid Logic installer I have screwed the system up. Again it was irrecoverable, so I had to install it a 3rd time! But this time I skipped Virtu and all is happy. I never use virtu, so I won't miss it, but I am a little curious about if it is just the copy I have on hand, or if something about the program simply kills win8. Fresh install all 3 times btw.

At any rate... I am not so curious as to try it again now that everything is working properly.

Debating about upgrading the wife's PC to an Ivy bridge i3 with HD4000 graphics to replace the aging Core2Duo and under-utilized 9800GT before doing the final upgrade to win8. It is not so much that she 'needs' the upgrade as much as the hardware is 5 years old now, and I would rather replace it now when I am formatting the system anyways, rather than waiting till it breaks and having to format and fix everything when I don't have the time...


Polls are worthless. They give equal weight to children, trolls, uneducated users, and experts.
October 28, 2012 9:39:11 AM

well, sure polls are worthless from an academic standpoint (especially with such a low voting count). But I still thought that the community on a tech website would be more united for or against the new OS rather than a 50-50 split that I have seen throughout the whole beta and release process.
a b * Windows 8
October 28, 2012 1:10:20 PM

^
Heres one that's favoring Win 8
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57541424-1/friday-p...

"Polls are worthless. They give equal weight to children, trolls, uneducated users, and experts. "

Have to agree with caedenv - Too small.
On the general analysis of pool group - Not sure that is valid. It is the same group that makes the purchase. And in comparing polls, ie upgrading to win 7 from XP to Upgrading win 7 - Win 8. It is also the same grouping and win7 Numbers (I'm pretty sure) were higher than Win8 Numbers.

October 28, 2012 1:51:18 PM

$39.99 is to cheap too pass up for pro!
October 28, 2012 2:07:09 PM

Not planning on upgrading. Win8 doesn't give me enough over Win7 to justify the cost. In some cases it would seem to downgrade me (I have no interest for Metro or whatever they are calling it on my desktop machine). Before people say that you can just use the 'normal' desktop, reviews have mentioned that there are some items that you have to drop back to Metro for regardless.
a b * Windows 8
October 28, 2012 3:47:11 PM

CaedenV said:
well, sure polls are worthless from an academic standpoint (especially with such a low voting count). But I still thought that the community on a tech website would be more united for or against the new OS rather than a 50-50 split that I have seen throughout the whole beta and release process.


This is probably the first OS that i feel worried about. I like the touch environment, but that's something i could do with Win 7 if i wanted to. I have no use for the app store & upgrading to Win 8 to get the legacy start menu doesn't justify a purchase. And what about the keyboard? Will touch get rid of this or expect you to use a virtual screen keyboard?

Tablet interface is totally based on a touch environment. Granted i don't like the interface mostly because i like to have an option to see some arrows >> on the side of the screen so i know there are more options (and im talking from a non tech point of view here). But attempting to bring the tablet world to PC users who depend on keyboard/mouse to get things done. Granted it gives them that option but even though i have not checked to verify this myself, they charge you to use the legacy start menu?

Back when Vista came out i liked it. It was a resource hog & that was the only reason for upgrading to Win 7. For me, Win 7 is perfect and i would be willing to pay to keep it working past the expiration date, and maybe perhaps in some way MS thought this would get users to start regularly giving MS money to keep them updating software. I'm ok with that, but i'm not ok with being forced to use a system that is alien to me, if i'm not switching to a different platform.
October 28, 2012 4:11:14 PM

As a tech, I will purchase a copy of the upgrade simply so I can learn it. I dislike metro, but probably will be installing classic shell. I think Windows 8 is great for tablets and touch, but Microsoft needs to remember it's traditional user base.
October 28, 2012 4:20:17 PM

You should add: "Got it, but going back to win 7"
=D
October 28, 2012 4:23:35 PM

I agree with midnightresort.
Vista was bad, but it was bad because it people's computers were not quite up to snuff and so performance was bad. The UI was alright, so that wasn't the problem.
But win8, you can't recognize it. I have played with it for months and it's UI is not efficient one bit at all...
That is my beef with it.
October 28, 2012 4:38:11 PM

I upgraded one PC. Figured why not since Windows 8 pro is $40 along with the free media center upgrade(took 24 hours to get the key via email). Taking some time tweaking it but I think it will eventually be fairly nice. I don't like the metro mail app so I installed Windows Live to get a mail app with more features. I do like how it provides more detailed info on file transfers and into the task manager. I also like how they built parts of msconfig into the task manger for start-up programs.
October 28, 2012 9:04:57 PM

What I find interesting, and I want to be clear right form the off that this is not aimed at anyone just general observation.
Is that it seem's to be the people that deem themselves power users that are the ones that seem to like the OS's that the general public on mass seem to dislike.

I can only go from experience but I have discussed pro's and cons of XP/Vista/W7 and W8 with a wide range of people over several forums and it just seems to me that its showing a pattern.

Any thoughts on that ? and maybe why ?

Mactronix :) 

I vote Hell No by the way :) 

a b * Windows 8
October 28, 2012 10:01:34 PM

mactronix said:
What I find interesting, and I want to be clear right form the off that this is not aimed at anyone just general observation.
Is that it seem's to be the people that deem themselves power users that are the ones that seem to like the OS's that the general public on mass seem to dislike.

I can only go from experience but I have discussed pro's and cons of XP/Vista/W7 and W8 with a wide range of people over several forums and it just seems to me that its showing a pattern.

Any thoughts on that ? and maybe why ?

Mactronix :) 

I vote Hell No by the way :) 


Windows 8 has been available through retail channels since Friday. It has been available to Technet and MSDN subscribers as well as STEM students (through the MSDNAA) since late august. Everyone else has been stuck with the Developer preview and consumer preview builds which do not represent a finished product.

Thus, those who are more likely to analyse Windows 8 on its own merits have had quite some time to do so. Those who are just looking for attention will rant and rave despite not having used the product in its final form, if in any form at all. Most users who have put some serious time into digging into Windows 8 have found it to be quite nice, myself included, while those who are pissed about a new start menu are simply being very vocal. The worst crybabies are those who compare it to Windows ME or Windows Vista, they don't have any idea what they are talking about.
October 28, 2012 10:22:44 PM

Hmm that's very confrontational language you are using there, and some very sweeping accusations.
Its basically a rant against those who you unjustifiably consider to be disliking an operating system for no real reason having pre determined said users technical standing and ability.

Its a free world last I looked, providing there is some basis for it, even if its just not liking the UI (I grant you that is not always the case) then people are free to like or dislike anything they choose based on what ever reasoning they decide.

What I have not seem is anyone providing much information concerning the good points. What I have seen is a lot of people disenchanted with W8 for various and yes sometimes superficial reasons, along with others who claim as you do to have looked into it properly and found it "quite nice"yet fail to do anything other than rant back thus sinking to the level they are accusing others of.

Mactronix :) 
a b * Windows 8
October 28, 2012 11:21:39 PM

mactronix said:
Hmm that's very confrontational language you are using there, and some very sweeping accusations.
Its basically a rant against those who you unjustifiably consider to be disliking an operating system for no real reason having pre determined said users technical standing and ability.

Its a free world last I looked, providing there is some basis for it, even if its just not liking the UI (I grant you that is not always the case) then people are free to like or dislike anything they choose based on what ever reasoning they decide.

What I have not seem is anyone providing much information concerning the good points. What I have seen is a lot of people disenchanted with W8 for various and yes sometimes superficial reasons, along with others who claim as you do to have looked into it properly and found it "quite nice"yet fail to do anything other than rant back thus sinking to the level they are accusing others of.

Mactronix :) 


Fair enough, here are a few of the things that I do like

1. Built in virtual CD/DVD drive. Simply double click on an ISO to automatically mount it.

2. Loads of default application viewers for various forms of media not normally compatible with Windows by default including PDF and MPEG2/4.

3. Vastly improved GPU driver framework including optimizations for GPGPU and multi-monitor support

4. Native .NET 4.0 and .NET 4.5 for all system components

5. WinRT (Windows Runtime, not to be confused with Windows RT) which should make cross platform development a lot easier and more secure.

6. Far better security including a built in antivirus and secure boot. Say what you will about these but they will go a long way towards curbing certain attack vectors.

7. The new UI tiles have a lot of potential. The lack of a traditional start menu does take some getting used to though

8. Smaller memory footprint and better process scheduling. Most of this is due to Aeroglass being replaced by Win8-UI. Gaming is smoother, loading is faster, and tabbing is quicker.

9. Very solid backwards compatibility with Windows Vista and Windows 7 applications. I have yet to find a single application which doesn't work, although some others have reported a few.

10. Improved networking including native load balancing, sharing, QoS, discovery and security. There's also better native support for mobile broadband, automatic handling of metered networks, and airplane mode.

11. Integration with other Microsoft Live services. Some of the free games are pretty cool. These do feel a bit bolted on though, we'll see what happens.

12. Much faster startup, restart, standby and shutdown times.

13. Improved power management.

14. Incredible stability. I have yet to experience a single crash even when using buggy sound drivers from Creative Labs.
October 29, 2012 5:00:21 AM

Being very vocal? I'm a tech myself. I tried consumer preview as well as release preview. Actually put it on my laptop. I tried it for a little while and formatted my laptop and actually went back to Vista because Vista at least has a good UI.


Yes Windows 8 has a great deal of potential, and yes it does the things you mention. However Microsoft should give people a choice. Do not force your users to do things a certain way. Don't do something a certain way for 20 years and then not even give people choices. I'm a network admin, our building has 45 servers give or take that I'm supposed to maintain, as well as 100-150 users I help support from help desk. However, prior to that, I worked in a school system where we had 8 buildings, and it was primarily a mac environment. I was Apple/Mac certified for 2+ years. Now with newer versions of Mac, you see that Apple is integrating IOS, but I can still pick up a Mac and figure out easily how to get around it, even after not really using a Mac hardly at all for about 2 years.

The biggest thing for me with Microsoft is choice. It would not have been hard for them to put in code to ask users if they want a "classic experience" or a "modern experience". My pet peeve has been the start menu. However, I also dislike to a degree their idea of everyone going to the cloud. I mean yes things may work better, and be out there, but do you trust your data to Microsoft? If you think about cloud technology, I know it's got it's upsides, but I for some reason think about the old mainframes and terminals. Didn't we just get out of using mainframes lol.

But to the person who says someone has no idea what they are talking about, whatever you say man.

Personally, I've got a Bachelor's degree in computers, have worked professionally in this field for close to 5 years. But have been working on things off and on for going on 15 years as a hobby, and then counting professional years. My first computer was a commodore 64 at the age of 5. So don't be so quick to say that we who are vocal don't have a clue. Windows 8 has it's good points, but Microsoft could have made things easier for everyone also.

I will buy a copy of Windows 8 to get more familiar, but in some ways, I hope Windows 8 bounces higher than a rubber ball so that Microsoft puts choice back into the OS. I think they have good ideas, but to basically attempt to kill off the PC market because of a bad design of their user interface is not cool.
!