Compaq Pressario 7464 - powerswitch problem

komputerdk

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
Hi

I have upgraded my girlfriend's old Compaq Pressario 7464 (AMD K6-2 500Mhz) to an Albatron KM18GPro2 / Athlon XP1700+. Since my mATX case was really crappy I installed the Albatron board in her compaq case and then the wierd things happened:

1) USB connectors pins do not match the KM18GPro => I modified the case with a USB brancket I had.
2) The really wierd part: The connectors for powerLED/HDLED and powerswitch was to gether -> I used a knife to seperate them BUT the computer will not turn on if the print where the powerbutton are is touching the case (So I isolated it with tape , and powerLED/HDled is disconnected)

So Now I will installe the old Compaq motherboard in my mATX case , but I have tried to connect the powerswitch to the motherboard and nothing happens happen when I want to turn the computer on (the case and motherboard worked before I made the upgrade).

So what to do ?? do Compaqs have any special connection for powerswitch (due to my problem 2, I guess that could be the case?)

thx in advanced

In old Dells the power supply cabling was wired in a non-standard config - it would only work with a Dell mobo. A lot of the major OEMs traditionally used proprietary configs to force consumers to upgrade with their (more expensive) parts. If this is the case with your g/f system, then don't plug the power back into that system. Call Compaq with the model number of her old system to see if that is the case.

Other possible probs:
1. The mobo is grounded - check to make sure there are no extra mounting stanchions installed. You can also take the mobo out (only cpu, memory and gpu installed) and put it on a non-conductive surface and try again.
2. You installed a bad mobo.
3. Bad PSU or the PSU is not powerful enough for the new parts.

Check these and let us know your results.

komputerdk

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
well when I decided to unplug the motherboard - I looked at the org. powersupply from the Compaq (I changed that too, since a 200w isn't great for a XP1700+) - It seems that my mATX powerSupply is missing a pin in the 20pins ATX powerplug.. the PWR_OK (pin8) is missing, and when I tried to use the powersupply from the Compaq it worked fine..

So my next question is - what does PWR_OK do? and how can I make a "fake" PWR_OK pin (my psu is a SFX type)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by komputerdk on 07/20/05 01:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Looks like option 3 was it. No idea on how to make a power_OK pin. I personally wouldn't mess with it. I say RMA and ge a good PSU.

komputerdk

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
well it is my PC nr. 3 - so it was primary as loan Office PC with an USB bootdrive or Knoppix CD.. but I had wrote the reseller to hear them ..

anyway THANX alot for your quick response!

You should be able to get a 300W PSU for pretty cheap - look at a Sparkle or Fortron.

Always glad to help!

gwave65

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005
Be careful when swapping parts with proprietary systems. Many of the parts in Compaq including power supplies, connectors and pin connectors are proprietary and will not work with standard ATX equipment.