EPoX EP-9NPA+ Vid card and HSF question

DuncMac

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
Hi all

Anyone got this board & a 7800 (also + Akasa Evo 33)

Began building the system lastnight and the cards a monster looks like it might take out the IDE slots, anyone else done this yet ??

Also the akasa has two places to mount the fan and it either blocks the 1st memory slot or the power connector block, depending on which side you put it. Again anyone actually got all this together yet?

Tar

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Began building the system lastnight and the cards a monster looks like it might take out the IDE slots, anyone else done this yet ??
I assume you mean PCI slots.. It's quite normal to lose at least one PCI slot to the cooler on the newer graphics cards. It's not much of an issue as most people don't need all those PCI slots (what with network, RAID, sound, firewire etc all being on-board these days..)

Also the akasa has two places to mount the fan and it either blocks the 1st memory slot or the power connector block, depending on which side you put it.
Well, the newer monster heatsinks nearly always give you issues like this. My XP-120 Overhangs <i>two</i> memory slots on my Epox 9NDA3J. It's not an issue, because it has sufficient vertical height for the RAM to sit underneath it. Obviously it means to remove or replace the RAM I need to also remove the HSF, but since it's all happy and stable I have no need to do so.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Ah right I see!

I think you'll probably just about have room, but you might need to plug the ribbon cables in before the card - it might be awfully close.

I sympathise... I recently had to cram a Geforce4 Ti4600 into a case which had a really odd hdd mounting cage. Damn thing just wouldn't fit so I had to lose the cage and (badly) mount the HDD in a 5.25" bay instead. I wouldn't sell one like that, but this was just a PC built from leftovers for my flatmate, so I don't care :smile:

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."