ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Boot Time

dhawkins01

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
I built a machine a year or so ago with a ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe MB. I have never been happy with the time it takes to get from power on to login. It takes alomst a full minute. Any suggestions on tweaking that to improve the time. I have a P4 3.0 Proc in it as well. 512 RAM.

Magnus_CA

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
Have you tried bootvis? You can also try cleaning up the items in your startup folder and try experimenting with the entries in this registry folder:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Remember to export your registry first!

Finally, check to see if there are any BIOS updates available. And make sure you turn off any features you don't use/need within your bios (ie WLAN, floppy drive seek, etc).

Good luck.

G

YOu can save 1 or 2 seconds by disabling all the onboard stuff you dont user...Especially the raid as it scans.
Also changing the IDE detection from auto to either none or the specific drive can help a bit.

as mentionned, Bootvis can help, cleaning the startup(i like msconfig in the start->run, its simple...).

Making sure you have some headroom in your HD, defraging de HD. Scanning for spyware.

Thats should do it!

Backup solution, wait for longhorn suppose to boot 25% faster...dont know if its on 2006 hardware tough...

Record boot for me is around 20second with the rig mentionned under, thats with a super clean one, now it takes 35-40 before HD stop searching...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by labbbby on 07/20/05 02:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As mentioned, a lot of people are too ignorant about hardware to turn off the RAID controllers they don't use, and those add a lot of time to the boot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>