Laptop Boots To Black Screen

HP Laptop running XP Home. When booting, the Windows screen comes up,
then the screen goes black. Any ideas?

Dick
3 answers Last reply
More about laptop boots black screen

    Possibly incorrect video driver installed? Improperly configured video driver
    using a screen resolution not supported by the screen? What happens when you
    boot the system in safe mode? If the system ends up with a black screen when
    booted in safe mode, your best option may be to reinstall XP Home from scratch
    on a reformatted hard drive... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:23:11 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

    >HP Laptop running XP Home. When booting, the Windows screen comes up,
    >then the screen goes black. Any ideas?
    >
    >Dick

    The problem seemed to be related to what was hooked to it while
    booting. The owner had a projector attached which seemed to stop the
    boot process. I still don't understand what was going on, but at
    least it's working again.

    Dick

    Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
    > The problem seemed to be related to what was hooked to it while
    > booting. The owner had a projector attached which seemed to stop the
    > boot process. I still don't understand what was going on, but at
    > least it's working again.

    [upside-down posting not fixed, please don't do that as it makes
    responding to your questions difficult]

    Many notebooks autodetect monitors that have been attached to the
    external video port. The assumption is that when you have an external
    monitor attached, you want to use it instead of the internal LCD.

    So the projector didn't stop the booting process, the video was just
    being sent out the external video port. Usually there is a function key
    combination to select the internal LCD, external monitor, or both.

    Note that an external monitor doesn't need to be powered on to be
    detected, leading to much confusion and hilarity for all.

Hewlett Packard Laptops Hardware HP Laptop Windows XP Computers