OT: Hard disks..

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Hey, I know it's not the right forum really, but anyone care to check out <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=118828#118828" target="_new">my post</A> in the Hard disks Forum... Just hardly anyone ventures down there.......

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

It doesn't matter what brand it is you can get a lemon in anything, my experiences have been with bad Western Digital HDDs, but others have had bad experiences with Maxtor Seagate Etc. so they tend to warn you away from their own experiences.

If there was a drive I would warn you away from it would be Hitachi, I'm running 2 Seagate SATA in RAID 0 and 1 Maxtor running a second OP/SYS, I personally have had excellent results from Maxtor drives, though I've seen failures in every brand on the market.

I prefer the Maxtors because they run at ATA133, and though thats arguementative as to whether they actually transfer that fast, my M/B is ATA133 capable so if I get any extra speed at all out of it I'm using a HDD that can do it.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
That's pretty much what I thought... I've converted my case so the 3.5" drive cage has an 80mm fan intake right in front of it, which does an excellent job of keeping the two RAID'd HDDS cool....

My personal <i>work</i> experience suggests Maxtors can be dodgy, but my own personal <i>home</i> experience is all good. Now obviously the ones we've had problems with are the 'slimline' ones with only 1 platter (40Gb usually), and the ones I have at home are 'normal' sized ones, so I guess it could be to do with that....

I don't seem to be able to find any comparable hdds (250Gb, 16Mb Cache) for around that price, so I think I'll go with the Maxtor.

Thanks for the response :smile:

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

Now obviously the ones we've had problems with are the 'slimline' ones with only 1 platter (40Gb usually),

DITTO on the slimline! I think that series was a bad idea for Maxtor!

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
hmmm.. We were only using them because they were cheap (in fact, the cheapest available at the time! :smile: ), so maybe they just didn't put much effort into them.

I've ordered the Maxtor. I found another site where it was cheaper than the one I linked to so I've ordered it from there. Now I only need to figure out how to get it installed, and get all the necessary stuff over... It'll be a pain, but it does need doing.. a job for sunday afternoon and a couple of beers I reckon :smile:

I stole the sig from somewhere, but can't remember where... :evil:

---

(I might also split it into two disks, or maybe make it RAID 1... undecided as yet)..

If it was me, I would just leave the 2 as RAID 0, I ran a RAID 1 configuration for quite a while counting on the security of always having a backup if one drive failed and replacing the bad drive and recreating the mirrored image, but I got a nasty virus, which was automatically written to the second drive, and the mirrored image was useless.

I had to LLF both the drives and reinstall from scratch anyway, so now I don't mess with a mirrored array anymore, it doesn't perform as well as a Striped Array anyway.

Not telling you what to do now, just something to think about.