Restore win 98se on old HP

I have an old HP Pavillion that came with windows 98 (I think SE).
The computer has been out of service for a while and I want to set it
up as a spare and was going to reinstal Windows from the Restore CD.

For some reason the restore CD gives me an error message that the
Restore disk is for a different model HP. This is the only HP I
remember having so it MUST be the right model, but through the years
the memory was upgraded, a second CD (burner) was added, firewire, a
new second disk, etc. which I guess is why the CD is saying it's the
wrong model. Is there anyway I can convince the CD that it IS the
correct model or some how force a restore of windows 98 from the disk?
The Windows is the only thing on the disk I'm really concerned about.

trained wrote:
> I have an old HP Pavillion that came with windows 98 (I think SE).
> The computer has been out of service for a while and I want to set it
> up as a spare and was going to reinstal Windows from the Restore CD.
>
> For some reason the restore CD gives me an error message that the
> Restore disk is for a different model HP. This is the only HP I
> remember having so it MUST be the right model, but through the years
> the memory was upgraded, a second CD (burner) was added, firewire, a
> new second disk, etc. which I guess is why the CD is saying it's the
> wrong model. Is there anyway I can convince the CD that it IS the
> correct model or some how force a restore of windows 98 from the disk?
> The Windows is the only thing on the disk I'm really concerned about.

So, have you tried unplugging the new stuff you added over the years?
You could put them back after the install.

You'll also need the COA for the registration key.

-Dave

Nope, haven't tried that. I'm not even sure what it had when it was
new or if all the original stuff is still around. Some of it might
have been swapped with other computers or thrown out.

The original installation has what looks like all the *.cab files
installed in the /windows/options/ directory. Is it possible to copy
those to a CD and install from those?

trained wrote:
> Nope, haven't tried that. I'm not even sure what it had when it was
> new or if all the original stuff is still around. Some of it might
> have been swapped with other computers or thrown out.
>
> The original installation has what looks like all the *.cab files
> installed in the /windows/options/ directory. Is it possible to copy
> those to a CD and install from those?

Apparently it can be done, if you have the setup.exe file and the product
key.

Since it's so easy to unplug the stuff you know has been added, I'd try
that first.

Dave

> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 06:33:14 -0700, David Kinsell
> <kinsell@poboxyz.com> wrote:
>

>>trained wrote:
>>
>>>I have an old HP Pavillion that came with windows 98 (I think SE).
>>>The computer has been out of service for a while and I want to set it
>>>up as a spare and was going to reinstal Windows from the Restore CD.
>>>
>>>For some reason the restore CD gives me an error message that the
>>>Restore disk is for a different model HP. This is the only HP I
>>>remember having so it MUST be the right model, but through the years
>>>the memory was upgraded, a second CD (burner) was added, firewire, a
>>>new second disk, etc. which I guess is why the CD is saying it's the
>>>wrong model. Is there anyway I can convince the CD that it IS the
>>>correct model or some how force a restore of windows 98 from the disk?
>>>The Windows is the only thing on the disk I'm really concerned about.
>>>

>>So, have you tried unplugging the new stuff you added over the years?
>>You could put them back after the install.
>>
>>You'll also need the COA for the registration key.
>>
>>-Dave

try reformatting it with out the restore disk.damn integrated junk.do your
research on all the drivers you will need for the computer. and then once
you have them all reformat the thing and add the drivers manually to it. or
request a new system cd from the manufacturer or at least look into it
"trained" <trained@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have an old HP Pavillion that came with windows 98 (I think SE).
> The computer has been out of service for a while and I want to set it
> up as a spare and was going to reinstal Windows from the Restore CD.
>
> For some reason the restore CD gives me an error message that the
> Restore disk is for a different model HP. This is the only HP I
> remember having so it MUST be the right model, but through the years
> the memory was upgraded, a second CD (burner) was added, firewire, a
> new second disk, etc. which I guess is why the CD is saying it's the
> wrong model. Is there anyway I can convince the CD that it IS the
> correct model or some how force a restore of windows 98 from the disk?
> The Windows is the only thing on the disk I'm really concerned about.

"trained" <trained@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have an old HP Pavillion that came with windows 98 (I think SE).
> The computer has been out of service for a while and I want to set it
> up as a spare and was going to reinstal Windows from the Restore CD.
>
> For some reason the restore CD gives me an error message that the
> Restore disk is for a different model HP. This is the only HP I
> remember having so it MUST be the right model, but through the years
> the memory was upgraded, a second CD (burner) was added, firewire, a
> new second disk, etc. which I guess is why the CD is saying it's the
> wrong model. Is there anyway I can convince the CD that it IS the
> correct model or some how force a restore of windows 98 from the disk?
> The Windows is the only thing on the disk I'm really concerned about.

Not sure this will help you any. Is it possible the drive letters of your
CD and CD burners has been changed from the original? In just the last
couple of weeks I've had to reformat, reinstall and then installed a SE
update. My pavilion 8380 came with the CD/DVD drive as "M". When I
installed a CD burner a couple of years ago it became drive "D". It ran
like this for several years but when I had to "repair" things I decided to
switch the drive letters because some of the buttons on the keyboard would
only work on the "D" drive and also some of my software that requires a CD
would only work if in the "D" drive. Anyway, later I was looking for a file
on one of my recovery disks and found that it would only recognize it as the
appropriate CD if it was in the original CD drive and that drive letter was
changed back to its original letter - in this case, "M".