  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
November 1, 2004 1:39:13 PM

Hi,

I have just gotten as a gift an HP All-In-One Printer, Copier,
Scanner, Fax unit that I would love to connect to my PC running
Windows XP Home. However, the unit is too large to put on the desk
near the PC and the best place to put the new printer is on a table in
the corner of the room which would cause me to have to run a USB cable
across the floor.

Is there a wireless item I can buy to plug into a USB port on the PC
and on the back of the printer so I can use the printer wirelessly
without having to change my whole network over to wireless?

I see USB wireless products out there, but can't tell if it's what I
need.

Thanks!

More about : connect printer wirelessly

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 1, 2004 4:20:27 PM

On 1 Nov 2004 10:39:13 -0800, welziak@snet.net (Ryan) wrote:

>I have just gotten as a gift an HP All-In-One Printer, Copier,
>Scanner, Fax unit that I would love to connect to my PC running
>Windows XP Home.

Is there any reason that you didn't bother disclosing the model number
of the HP multi-malfunction device? HP and others make wireless print
servers, some of which are compatible with multi-malfunction printers.
Some sorta function, but support only some features of the printer.

>However, the unit is too large to put on the desk
>near the PC and the best place to put the new printer is on a table in
>the corner of the room which would cause me to have to run a USB cable
>across the floor.
>
>Is there a wireless item I can buy to plug into a USB port on the PC
>and on the back of the printer so I can use the printer wirelessly
>without having to change my whole network over to wireless?
>
>I see USB wireless products out there, but can't tell if it's what I
>need.

Well, neither can I unless you disclose the HP model number.

See:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
Careful here as HP non-cleverly screwed up and mixed wireless print
servers with Windoze print sharing (where the printer is plugged into
the computah and other PC's can also use it).

Here's the data sheet on the HP 380x wireless print server. Check if
your unspecified printer is compatible. Also, make absolutely sure
that all the features of the multi-malfunction printer are supported
and not just printing.
http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=1950548&jumpi...

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 1, 2004 9:36:35 PM

>Some sorta function, but support only some features of the printer.

Yeah, one client's HO AIO I was looking at the other day could add the
$200 print server plugin, but scanning was done thru a WWWeb interface
on the print server. [Sorry, don't recall the model.] It's going to
vary a lot depending on the model number, as Jeff mentioned.
!