Can I Connect My Printer Wirelessly??

Hi,

I have just gotten as a gift an HP All-In-One Printer, Copier,
Scanner, Fax unit that I would love to connect to my PC running
Windows XP Home. However, the unit is too large to put on the desk
near the PC and the best place to put the new printer is on a table in
the corner of the room which would cause me to have to run a USB cable
across the floor.

Is there a wireless item I can buy to plug into a USB port on the PC
and on the back of the printer so I can use the printer wirelessly
without having to change my whole network over to wireless?

I see USB wireless products out there, but can't tell if it's what I
need.

Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about connect printer wirelessly

    On 1 Nov 2004 10:39:13 -0800, welziak@snet.net (Ryan) wrote:

    >I have just gotten as a gift an HP All-In-One Printer, Copier,
    >Scanner, Fax unit that I would love to connect to my PC running
    >Windows XP Home.

    Is there any reason that you didn't bother disclosing the model number
    of the HP multi-malfunction device? HP and others make wireless print
    servers, some of which are compatible with multi-malfunction printers.
    Some sorta function, but support only some features of the printer.

    >However, the unit is too large to put on the desk
    >near the PC and the best place to put the new printer is on a table in
    >the corner of the room which would cause me to have to run a USB cable
    >across the floor.
    >
    >Is there a wireless item I can buy to plug into a USB port on the PC
    >and on the back of the printer so I can use the printer wirelessly
    >without having to change my whole network over to wireless?
    >
    >I see USB wireless products out there, but can't tell if it's what I
    >need.

    Well, neither can I unless you disclose the HP model number.

    See:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=79476&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=bpu04830#N1044E
    Careful here as HP non-cleverly screwed up and mixed wireless print
    servers with Windoze print sharing (where the printer is plugged into
    the computah and other PC's can also use it).

    Here's the data sheet on the HP 380x wireless print server. Check if
    your unspecified printer is compatible. Also, make absolutely sure
    that all the features of the multi-malfunction printer are supported
    and not just printing.
    http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=1950548&jumpid=oc_R1002_USENC-001_HP%20Jetdirect%20380x%20802.11b%20Wireless%20Print%20Server

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    >Some sorta function, but support only some features of the printer.

    Yeah, one client's HO AIO I was looking at the other day could add the
    $200 print server plugin, but scanning was done thru a WWWeb interface
    on the print server. [Sorry, don't recall the model.] It's going to
    vary a lot depending on the model number, as Jeff mentioned.

Wireless Connection Printers Wireless Networking