Motherboard problems

xfacta

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2005
Hi everyone, im new to the forums, but here it goes. Everytime i start up my new custom computer, i get this error that says floppy drive A not found. im pretty sure i disabled everything that is related to the floppy in my bios, so i hook up my old floppy drive. Now it asks me to enter system disk??? does anyone know what is going on, i never had a system disk as a floppy, i inserted my system disk to the cd drive but no luck, someone help me......I cant even go to bios, the error is teh first thing that pops up on my monitor, i tried to esc from it but no luck......

if this is a factor - my motherboard is a MSI nvidia nForce 2 ultra 400 chipset based, K7N2 Delta 2 platinum, designed for amd athlon xp processor.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Hi xfacta and Welcome to the Forums!

Still sounds like a BIOS setting to me. Might wanna double-check. My NF2 mobo is at home, so after a quick look at the manual I'd suggest checking these sections of BIOS:

- under "Standard CMOS Features" check to see if Floppy is is disabled or set to "none". Also, check the "Halt on" to make sure it's not set to halt on diskette errors (set it to "no errors")

- under "Integrated Peripherals" disable onboard floppy controller

-under "Advanced BIOS Features" make sure the floppy is not set as a boot device, and might try disabling "bootup floppy seek"

Hope that helps,

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
1 gig Corsair XMS PC3200
eVGA 6800GT
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

G

Yup something along the lines coyote said, also check the boot order(if theres such a thing on you motheboard).
Make sur Floppy is not stated anywhere!

Look in your bios and hunt for floppy.

Finally you can probably change a setting in the bios to as not to halt on errors. That might not be the best way to do it because its always intersting to see if some new errors occur but if nothing else works!...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

xfacta

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2005
well teh problem is that i cant go into bios though, i am stuck in the screen that says system error insert system disc

Kill the power to it, reboot and hold down the DELETE key.

If that doesn't get you into the CMOS setup, get your manual out and look for directions on clearing the CMOS, you'll have to re-enter all the CMOS settings, Date, Time Etc., and Apply Setup Defaults, but that will get you in.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>

xfacta

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2005
yea i tried teh delete thing and CMOS, it still wont let me through, all i need to do is go into bios, can n e one help?

xfacta

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2005
well the thing is that even with my floppy disconected it asks for a floppy drive A and i cant surpass that screen, and when i have the floppy connected it says system disks error, and i cat pass that screen niether, i tried everything to get into my cmos but i cant, it is stuck on that screen i tried delete and everythign else. I cant get in to CMOS, i tried everything...............

On your first initial screens when you press the power key to start the computer up, does it ask for a different key to enter setup? Like F1 or something like that? You may be holding down the wrong key on startup to enter the CMOS setup. Some M/Bs use different keys to enter the CMOS setup.

TIP; If your Floppy LED stays on all the time its hooked up wrong and you need to flip the floppy ribbon cable over. Red wire side of ribbon always goes to pin 1 of M/B and Floppy drive.

Also I don't know what difference it makes if any because round cables don't designate that its important but with a ribbon floppy cable I always put the twisted end of the wire to the floppy drive itself.

I really don't see how the floppy is hooked up at all though would keep you from entering the CMOS setup.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 07/24/05 04:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

This is late in the game to throw at you but, I'm assuming that you've built this computer yourself, correct me if I'm wrong, but have you double checked to make sure when you mounted the M/B to the mounting plate, that only the studs were present for the mounting holes on the M/B itself, and none were left behind touching a part of the M/B that shouldn't be touched.

Your problems don't seem logical almost hardware failure possible, if you cannot enter the CMOS after clearing it, most M/Bs will take you to the CMOS setup after you clear it, whether you want to go there or not.

You did pull all the power to the machine when you cleared the CMOS right, most all clearing CMOS procedures require killing the power, because the CMOS battery is a rechargeable battery drawing what it needs from the P/S to recharge itself, thats why you have to kill the power to the computer to successfully clear the CMOS.

Not trying to irritate you here just trying to figure this thing out.

xfacta

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2005
yea i tried to kill the power to it and cleared teh mobo, it still gives me same results, ad it doesnt ask me to push a buttom when teh error screen comes op, also dont worry u r not irritatingme i appreciate ur help. Im pretty sure that it has to be a hardware failure then.

If everything is hooked up right, and no studs grounding out the M/B, then you may possibly have a bad M/B because most M/Bs after clearing the CMOS report a CMOS error and tell you to press some key to enter setup, to reset the CMOS settings.

xfacta

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2005
hmmmmmmmmm then i am planning on buying a new motherboard, what is a nice mobo that i good for gaming that is around 50$, that you guys recommend?

OK you do realize the K7N2 Delta 2 platinum M/B requires a 350W P/S or greater reccommended by MSI and is one of the M/Bs that requires an ATX P/S with the extra 12V 4 pin connector, you should have a 20 pin main M/B connector and also have a 4 pin M/B connector hooked up to the M/B right?

Your M/B uses the 4 Pin connector to power the CPU according to your manual.

I'm running an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe but she is limited on SATA connections the EPOX M/B wusy is reccommending may be the better choice however I would reccommend the EPOX 8RDA6+ model she has 4 more SATA connections than the 3+ does, which will be important if you ever decide to run a combination RAID array.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 07/25/05 00:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>