using one of the 16x slots for other than SLi?

qbker

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
Hello, I don't know if this has been asked before, but I'm wondering if it is possible to use one of the 16x pci-e SLi slots for purpose other than Sli?
For example, with the Asus A8N-SLI Delux you have two 16x slots and two 1x slots.
Assuming I'm only using one pci-e graphics card with my system, say if in the future I bought three 1x pci-e cards (whatever they're for). With the two 1x slots used up, can I then plug my third 1x card into the other 16x slot?
I know that these pci-e slots are backward compatible (e.g. using a 1x pci-e card with a 4x pci-e slot), but is it still ok to use that second 16x slot for anything else other than SLi?
Thanks!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by qbker on 07/24/05 02:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know for certain you can use both slots for graphics cards and NOT put them in SLi mode. That gives you the opportunity to use four monitors via two cards. I think you have to use the SLi mode card position (to split the lanes into two x8 paths) but leave SLI mode disabled in BIOS.

As for putting any other cards in there, it should work, but that doesn't mean there isn't a BIOS issue on some boards. I don't have that data. But what I do know is this: Some boards claimed to have an x1 pathway running to the second x16 slot, when the SLi selector card was flipped to the single video position. And that x1 slot should be fine for any x1 device (or faster devices at reduced busswidth).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

qbker

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
so what you are saying is, in my example, the 1x card should work in the spare 16x slot, but a 4x or 8x card may not? (but if it does, it will work at the 1x bandwidth)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right. That is, unless you split your other slot. The SLi mode card is actually used for splitting the x16 slot into two x8 pathways (SLi mode isn't x16, it's 2x x8).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>