soulbyul

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Hello, I'll start by listing my specs,

585w psu, 40a on the 12v
9600 gt
1gb ram
amd athlon x2 (dual) 4200+

Hey guys, I have a strange stuttering problem with modern warfare 2 and starcraft 2 (these games are for example because i play them). Well before everything I borrowed a 9400 gt from my friend and when I played modern warfare 2 or Starcraft 2, I had an okay fps, BUT my computer did not lag/stutter so much. However, after I upgraded to a 9600 gt, I put the settings of modern warfare 2 on high. With that I got some major stuttering problems when a big patch of smoke came out or when I started shooting, etc. etc. Then I put the settings back to normal however it still kind of stutters. This is not related to fps at all as I have a 50-100 fps. Also, my computer acts as if its hauling an elephant. The fans sound really loud and i feel like its working for its life. My hypothesis is because of my low ram. What do you guys think? Is it because of my cpu bottlenecking the gpu? Is it because of my ram?

Thank you for any and every help provided.

soulbyul

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

If you could tell me how to measure the heat while I'm gaming I would be more than glad to. And yes I have the latest drivers however you bring up a good point as I installed the drivers when I got the 9400 gt and used the same drivers with the 9600 gt. However, I did uninstall the drivers once I plugged in the 9600 gt and reinstalled the drivers, but I'm not too sure that anything significant happened. Do you think I should reinstall the drivers again, because there were about 4 nvidia programs such as nvidia physx etc. that I did not uninstall for fear of uninstalling something important. The only thing I reinstalled was the actual Nvidia Drivers.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
yes i suggest downloading driversweeper... install it, then reboot your computer and go into safe mode and use driversweeper then go to where ever like nvidea.com, and download the new drivers unless you already have them saved on your computer and for the temperature im not quite sure how you do it but i'll look around a bit

soulbyul

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Ok, thank you very much Ill try that now.

soulbyul

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Well, I tried it and reinstalled all the drivers, but there is still this small jitter, ok i'll explain it a little better. Sometimes when I turn there is this miniscule freeze/lag that lasts for 0.5ms. This happens actually quite often and I am sure its not because of my gpu temperatures. I think* its my small amount of ram. However, I need someone to clarify this for me.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
that kinda sounds like the lag/stutter i get in TF2, whenever i join a match its VERY laggy like when i turn and such unless i stand still and dont press anything and i don't know how to fix it so sounds similar so i dunno how to fix it ): sorry

soulbyul

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

What's your specs?

soulbyul

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Yeah the specs are probably the reason for the jitters. I'm probably going to need to get more ram.

soulbyul

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Yeah, the annoying thing is the jitters go throughout the whole game but they become less common as the game goes on but are still present. I really want a smooth gaming experience with 0 stutters from beginning to end.

soulbyul

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Hmm good point let me try. Although I doubt it because my ping is always max and when I had the 9400 gt I was using the same internet and there was no stutters.

soulbyul

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Nope no jitters on small maps, BUT there is a jitter on big maps so im confident its my lack of ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.