Closed Solved

Strange stuttering not related to FPS

Hello, I'll start by listing my specs,

585w psu, 40a on the 12v
9600 gt
1gb ram
amd athlon x2 (dual) 4200+


Hey guys, I have a strange stuttering problem with modern warfare 2 and starcraft 2 (these games are for example because i play them). Well before everything I borrowed a 9400 gt from my friend and when I played modern warfare 2 or Starcraft 2, I had an okay fps, BUT my computer did not lag/stutter so much. However, after I upgraded to a 9600 gt, I put the settings of modern warfare 2 on high. With that I got some major stuttering problems when a big patch of smoke came out or when I started shooting, etc. etc. Then I put the settings back to normal however it still kind of stutters. This is not related to fps at all as I have a 50-100 fps. Also, my computer acts as if its hauling an elephant. The fans sound really loud and i feel like its working for its life. My hypothesis is because of my low ram. What do you guys think? Is it because of my cpu bottlenecking the gpu? Is it because of my ram?

Thank you for any and every help provided.
31 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about strange stuttering related
  1. tell me about the smoke again
  2. number13 said:
    tell me about the smoke again

    The smoke being in game. For example when a smoke grenade gets thrown and a patch of smoke is thrown in the air.
  3. Is the 9600gt overheating?
  4. Mithness said:
    Is the 9600gt overheating?

    I don't think so the fan is humongous and it seems the card gets a little hot but cools extremely fast.
  5. could you somehow tell me the heat when your gaming? and do you have the latest drivers? and are you sure the drivers know its the 9600gt? and not the 9400gt?
  6. Mithness said:
    could you somehow tell me the heat when your gaming? and do you have the latest drivers? and are you sure the drivers know its the 9600gt? and not the 9400gt?

    If you could tell me how to measure the heat while I'm gaming I would be more than glad to. And yes I have the latest drivers however you bring up a good point as I installed the drivers when I got the 9400 gt and used the same drivers with the 9600 gt. However, I did uninstall the drivers once I plugged in the 9600 gt and reinstalled the drivers, but I'm not too sure that anything significant happened. Do you think I should reinstall the drivers again, because there were about 4 nvidia programs such as nvidia physx etc. that I did not uninstall for fear of uninstalling something important. The only thing I reinstalled was the actual Nvidia Drivers.
  7. yes i suggest downloading driversweeper... install it, then reboot your computer and go into safe mode and use driversweeper then go to where ever like nvidea.com, and download the new drivers unless you already have them saved on your computer and for the temperature im not quite sure how you do it but i'll look around a bit
  8. Mithness said:
    yes i suggest downloading driversweeper... install it, then reboot your computer and go into safe mode and use driversweeper then go to where ever like nvidea.com, and download the new drivers unless you already have them saved on your computer and for the temperature im not quite sure how you do it but i'll look around a bit

    Ok, thank you very much Ill try that now.
  9. Mithness said:
    yes i suggest downloading driversweeper... install it, then reboot your computer and go into safe mode and use driversweeper then go to where ever like nvidea.com, and download the new drivers unless you already have them saved on your computer and for the temperature im not quite sure how you do it but i'll look around a bit

    Well, I tried it and reinstalled all the drivers, but there is still this small jitter, ok i'll explain it a little better. Sometimes when I turn there is this miniscule freeze/lag that lasts for 0.5ms. This happens actually quite often and I am sure its not because of my gpu temperatures. I think* its my small amount of ram. However, I need someone to clarify this for me.
  10. that kinda sounds like the lag/stutter i get in TF2, whenever i join a match its VERY laggy like when i turn and such unless i stand still and dont press anything and i don't know how to fix it so sounds similar so i dunno how to fix it ): sorry
  11. Mithness said:
    that kinda sounds like the lag/stutter i get in TF2, whenever i join a match its VERY laggy like when i turn and such unless i stand still and dont press anything and i don't know how to fix it so sounds similar so i dunno how to fix it ): sorry

    What's your specs?
  12. their pretty shitty but their

    amd athlon 3800+
    ati radeon hd 4350
    1gb
    160gb harddrive

    but when i get my new motherboard and cpu i'll tell you if that was the reason of stuttering,
  13. Mithness said:
    their pretty shitty but their

    amd athlon 3800+
    ati radeon hd 4350
    1gb
    160gb harddrive

    but when i get my new motherboard and cpu i'll tell you if that was the reason of stuttering,

    Yeah the specs are probably the reason for the jitters. I'm probably going to need to get more ram.
  14. yea probably im getting a decent system soon though so im happy aslong as its playable which it is after like 2-3minutes it stoips becuase i think all the loading accually finishes
  15. Mithness said:
    yea probably im getting a decent system soon though so im happy aslong as its playable which it is after like 2-3minutes it stoips becuase i think all the loading accually finishes

    Yeah, the annoying thing is the jitters go throughout the whole game but they become less common as the game goes on but are still present. I really want a smooth gaming experience with 0 stutters from beginning to end.
  16. is their stutter/jitters in single player? maybe it's internet lag
  17. Mithness said:
    is their stutter/jitters in single player? maybe it's internet lag

    Hmm good point let me try. Although I doubt it because my ping is always max and when I had the 9400 gt I was using the same internet and there was no stutters.
  18. Mithness said:
    is their stutter/jitters in single player? maybe it's internet lag

    Nope no jitters on small maps, BUT there is a jitter on big maps so im confident its my lack of ram.
  19. Best answer
    yea that could be a reason just remeber to get the right timins for the ram
  20. Mithness said:
    yea that could be a reason just remeber to get the right timins for the ram

    Clarification on timins?
  21. in BIOS in the memory section there is the boxes for CL, interleave, CL2, etc.
  22. soulbyul said:
    Clarification on timins?

    I'm guessing "timings" but hey!
  23. haha sorry i ment timings lol, my bad
  24. Mithness said:
    haha sorry i ment timings lol, my bad

    No worries mate, bad spelling or typo's are not classed as a capitol offence, yet.
  25. Mithness said:
    haha sorry i ment timings lol, my bad

    So what do you mean by getting the right "timings" for ram?
  26. like, some motherboards will only support 677/800/1066 ddr2 or ddr3 so you just have to make sure the timeings are correct and work with your motherboard
  27. Mithness said:
    like, some motherboards will only support 677/800/1066 ddr2 or ddr3 so you just have to make sure the timeings are correct and work with your motherboard

    Ah I know but thanks anyways!
    I plan to get 2gb pc 800 ddr2.
  28. Sounds like RAM to me; 1GB isn't really enough anymore. Even 2GB is considered "low end" these days...
  29. gamerk316 said:
    Sounds like RAM to me; 1GB isn't really enough anymore. Even 2GB is considered "low end" these days...

    Yeah, you would think that a 9600 gt could at least play MW2 on 1280x1024 with normal settings right?
  30. Best answer selected by soulbyul.
  31. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming FPS Starcraft 2 Video Games