what's wrong with my pc?

Deluvia

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Hello,

I need some help. :p Even though I've about had it with my computer... I'm making a last ditch effort to try to save it.

Not even sure where to begin... :p and it's a long story, so sorry for the length of this post.

Basically the problem that I have is that my computer keeps crashing... and I have no idea what it is. I've lost count how many times I've had to format in the last 6 months...

Here's my system specs...

Asus A7V-266e MB
Athlon xp1900 (1.6 ghz)
Radeon 8500
512 mb ram (1 stick of 256, 2 of 128)
80 GB WD hdd
SoundBlaster Live sound card
Windows 2000 professional (w/ Service Pack 3)
(hmm.. think that's all the important stuff...)

Every so often... and getting to be more and more often... my system crashes. This usually happens when I am playing Dark Age of Camelot and running Ventrilo... well, it use to be that way. I would be playing, and then all of a sudden I would hear a very strong static out of the speakers.... or something which sounds a bit like fireworks (like roman candles.... pshuuuuuu)... [LOL I am so sorry for the lack of technical terms, but I really know very little about computers... actually all I know I've acquired through reasearch when my computer was having a problem.... but back to the point...] My computer does these weird noises... (just through the speakers... nothing coming from the case) and then completely freezes. So I hard reboot (pushing the reset key) and sometimes Windows loads.. and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, it goes into what I'll call the reboot cycle of death.... It will boot, get to the Windows screen where the blue bar is filling up, when the blue bar fills up, it will then reboot itself... over and over. From there, I usually just load Windows again (not formating, but by creating another Winnt folder) so I won't lose my stuff... it's that, or format. Once I had like 5 Windows loaded in. :p But usually I then go back, reformat, and try to get a fresh copy working.

From past experience, I know that if I go into Windows options once I hard reboot after the fireworks (by pressing F8) I can usually get Windows to load by choosing "Last known good configuration..." But sometimes I miss it, or that doesn't even work.

A few days ago my hard drive drive died... not sure if in a related cause or not, but probably. So, I got a new one, installed everything on it, and yesterday all was running fine... But today I heard the static again... and wasn't able to load Windows, so here I am with a half working computer. (Installing drivers and applications is a real drag... some things I just don't even bother installing anymore cuz I know it won't last)....

Normally I hear the static and the computer freezes when my machine is under a bit of pressure... like, playing DAOC and talking on Ventrilo.... but today, it crashed while only Ventrilo was running.... and yesterday, everything was running smoothly.

The only change I made between yesterday and today was that I installed Norton... which may have been a mistake. When I installed Norton, I heard the static and the computer froze while it was doing the full disk check. (I also had Ventrilo running at the time.) I reset the computer, Windows loaded, I disabled Norton (cuz I thought maybe it had a conflict with Ventrilo).... then I started to play DAOC and had Ventrilo running and I heard the static again.... rebooted computer.... decided to not have Norton nor Ventrilo running.... and played the game with no other applications running. Then, after, I decided to uninstall Norton, cuz I thought it was causing conflicts, uninstalled it, opened up Ventrilo cuz I wanted to see if it was working, and the static again! The system froze... and Windows wouldn't load. It went into the reboot cycle of death.

So... I would like to know... is it my motherboard that's messed up? (I did take my computer to Europe some time ago, and it passed through some x-rays that may have messed it up.) Oh... I should mention... every time the power goes out, I lose my cpu frequency and the system date and time. After a power outage (even if my computer was turned off at the time) my computer boots me to the BIOS where I have to reset the cpu frequency. I've changed the battery on the motherboard a couple of times, in an effort to fix it, but nothing.

But I can live with that, even though it's pretty annoying... (I live in Florida and we get a lot of power outages)... but the firecracker/freeze thing, and reformating more than once a month... I can't deal with that anymore.

Could it be caused by bad motherboard?
Perhaps bad memory?

I have no idea what could cause this to happen.

I know the hard drive isn't it, because that got changed and the problem persists.. and it's not Windows, because my brother and dad use the same CD as I do... and their systems run fine...

Ventrilo could be the problem... since it is always running when this happens... but why wouldn't I be able to run Ventrilo? (I have it on all the time... and need it.) Is my system just not powerful enough to handle it? It's not that heavy of a program, but maybe it causes too much strain on my system...

I once had a look at my IRQs (don't know what it means really, and don't know how to look at them again)... and I had a bunch of stuff all on IRQ 9... someone told me that that wasn't good. (Had my graphics, lan, and sound on it... and not sure if another thing or two.)

I should mention that my computer was running fine for like 6 months after I built it... but after I took it to France it never recovered. :p I'm leaning towards a problem with the motherboard... but I don't know.

Any insight would be much appreciated. If you need any further information, ask, and hopefully I can give you an answer. I'm thinking I need a new motherboard (and a major upgrade) but I'd at least like to know what's going on with the thing. Thanks in advance.

Bob369

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2005
It could be a problem with your power supply. Since electrical interference will cause static in your speakers, that would be my first guess.

Also, when you went to France did you use a power converter before you plugged your computer in. I dont know about France buy I know that several overseas contries run of different voltages and frequencies. If you didnt use the proper power converter its a good chance that your power supply coulda have gotten fried.

My PC:
Abit AX8 Socket 939 VIA K8T890
AMD Athlon 64 3200 Winchester
Sapphire Radeon X700 Pro 256 Mb PCIe
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
Corsair 2x512 PC3200 DDR Dual-Channel Platnium Edition

Interesting:

First of all run diagnostics on the individual components that you can, like memory [Test with Memtest 86], HDD [Diagnostics for HDD Brand, test even though its new, to eliminate it as a possible problem, especially if it was an OEM purchase] and eliminate them as problem hardware first, get diagnostics <A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm" target="_new"> here. </A>

Secondly just flat out get rid of the Soundblaster Live card and maybe go with a Turtle Beach, the Soundblaster Live card was notorious for developing the crackling and popping exactly like what you're explaining after a time of ownership, and could be temporarily stopped by uninstalling and reinstalling, but that gets old so just get rid of the piece of crap.

If you do have a M/B chipset problem you unfortunately are going to have to eliminate all the other possibilities to narrow it down to that, including the power supply [having it tested by your local computer repair shop or swapping a known good one if you have access to one is a good idea if possible], and optical drives, [if the data is corrupted on the installation! Well! Its corrupted when you go to use it.]

So get busy and start eliminating the possible problems, and post your results.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>

Deluvia

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
"Clean out every single bit of dust in ther first. That means ripping every components out for cleaning."

Okay, that's a pain but needs to be done anyway.

"Also, when you went to France did you use a power converter before you plugged your computer in. I dont know about France buy I know that several overseas contries run of different voltages and frequencies. If you didnt use the proper power converter its a good chance that your power supply coulda have gotten fried."

Yes... lol My original power supply did get fried. I had an Enermax something or other and when my computer got put together, and we plugged it in (in France), there was a BOOM and a light and a smell of burnt... and it wouldn't work. [That little red switch on the back was important... maybe I fried something else too without knowing it?] But I got a new powersupply there, and after that it worked okay. Then, when I came back to the states, that powersupply didn't work here, so I got another one. It's not a good one... just one that I bought at BestBuy or CompUSA to get me up and going... and I'm still using it. So that could be a problem.... I don't have another powersupply to switch it out with... so I guess I'll have to see if I can get someone to test it for me.

"Secondly just flat out get rid of the Soundblaster Live card and maybe go with a Turtle Beach, the Soundblaster Live card was notorious for developing the crackling and popping exactly like what you're explaining after a time of ownership."

The thing is that I had this problem even before I got the Soundblaster Live card. That was actually the reason I got it. I was using the motherboard's onboard sound, and figured that my motherboard couldn't handle it, so I got the Soundblaster Live and that did help a bit. I was able to use Ventrilo... but it still freezes up on me sooner or later.

I'll run the diagnostics you suggested and will get back to you on what I find. Never run them before, but I guess I'll learn something new.

Bob369

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2005
i would make sure your onboard audo device is disabled in your device manager.. i dont think you can have two running at the same time, but it is worth a shot.

My PC:
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
Corsair 2x512 PC3200 DDR Dual-Channel Platnium Edition

Yes... lol My original power supply did get fried. I had an Enermax something or other and when my computer got put together, and we plugged it in (in France), there was a BOOM and a light and a smell of burnt... and it wouldn't work. [That little red switch on the back was important... maybe I fried something else too without knowing it?] But I got a new powersupply there, and after that it worked okay. Then, when I came back to the states, that powersupply didn't work here, so I got another one. It's not a good one... just one that I bought at BestBuy or CompUSA to get me up and going... and I'm still using it. So that could be a problem.... I don't have another powersupply to switch it out with... so I guess I'll have to see if I can get someone to test it for me.

LOL!!! Well now thats some pretty serious information you left out of your page of details don't you think? I'll almost guarantee you you've partially fried your M/Bs chipset or something on the board, and possibly damaged the CPU, and RAM to be causing these problems.

"Secondly just flat out get rid of the Soundblaster Live card and maybe go with a Turtle Beach, the Soundblaster Live card was notorious for developing the crackling and popping exactly like what you're explaining after a time of ownership."

Disregard this suggestion!
Since:

The thing is that I had this problem even before I got the Soundblaster Live card. That was actually the reason I got it. I was using the motherboard's onboard sound, and figured that my motherboard couldn't handle it, so I got the Soundblaster Live and that did help a bit. I was able to use Ventrilo... but it still freezes up on me sooner or later.

I'll run the diagnostics you suggested and will get back to you on what I find. Never run them before, but I guess I'll learn something new.

Test the RAM first.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>

we plugged it in (in France), there was a BOOM and a light and a smell of burnt... and it wouldn't work.

That little maneuver could have destroyed and fried up the whole thing, it definitely could have done damage that seems like everything is OK but isn't, the power supply is hooked directly into the M/B so 9 times out of 10 you'd be better off to just go ahead and replace the M/B, I'll be definitely surprised if the RAM doesn't produce errors immediately after starting Memtest.

At the prices today I would consider upgrading to a new M/B, CPU, and RAM and hope no other problems arise.

Then, when I came back to the states, that powersupply didn't work here, so I got another one.

You didn't actually plug that power supply in, here in the states did you ???

G

I guess plugging a 220V in a 110V is as bad as the opposite!(did it once with IBM POS[point of sale not piece of shi...] and it just wouldnt boot).

That little red switch IS important =)

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Deluvia

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
So I ran some tests....

The HDD test passed... both the quick test and the more thourough one. And I also tested the memory, but I may have done something wrong...

I made the floppy, rebooted, and the test started... and it took over half an hour, and did 7 tests. It passed, with no errors. But then instead of giving me an option to quit, it just started the test over again with test 1. I don't know if that's normal and I should have just left it running... but I stopped it after the first 7 tests.

"You didn't actually plug that power supply in, here in the states did you ???"

No, I did not. :) Threw it out after it fried. The one I tried here was the French powersupply but it didn't work, and so I got new one.
-Edit- Oh, I see what you're saying... plugging the other voltage powersupply here could have messed it up even more... :/

"i would make sure your onboard audo device is disabled in your device manager.. i dont think you can have two running at the same time, but it is worth a shot."

I've done that too, but it doesn't help. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Deluvia on 07/28/05 02:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Deluvia

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
So having a half fried motherboard could be the cause the system freezing and messing up Windows, yes? Would also explain why the date/time/cpu frequency doesn't stay after a power outage...

Does anyone have any suggestions for a new motherboard/cpu/ram combination? Preferably AGP so I can still use my graphics card for the time being.... (unless pci-express is the way to go now.) My system barely meets my needs now (when it's working), so if I'm going to upgrade, I would like to do it right... Within a conservative budget. I've got about $200 on hand now, but could probably scrape up a bit more if I find something worth it.

I mainly use my computer for playing DAOC, talking on Ventrilo, and I use Photoshop quite a bit too.

and it took over half an hour, and did 7 tests. It passed, with no errors. But then instead of giving me an option to quit, it just started the test over again with test 1. I don't know if that's normal and I should have just left it running... but I stopped it after the first 7 tests.

OK thats good and you could have stopped the test at any time by pressing the Esc key but thats perfectly normal and how Memtest works it will run testing the RAM until you stop it but you do want it to run through the 7 initial tests at least.

OK no errors on Memtest is also a good sign that your CPU is probably OK.

So CPU OK, RAM OK, HDD OK

If you replace the motherboard you should be in good shape and thats my suggestion to you <b>replace the motherboard.</b>

Now do you need help finding the best replacement M/B?

Heres my reccomendation for a replacement motherboard for you it will run your present CPU and RAM, plus its a dual DDR Motherboard, and gives you upgrading room to AMD XP3200+ Barton Core running 400mhz DDR Ram, supporting any AMD XP combination It will run the Palomino Core which is what you have, Thoroughbred Cores, and Barton Cores, it will run 400/333/266/200 FSB, giving you plenty of later on upgrade room.

Also the website I've supplied a link to is a very good site, I've made many online purchases from them, they are secure and honorable in their dealings.

<A HREF="http://www.directron.com/a7n8xedeluxe.html" target="_new"> ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe </A> I run this M/B myself, its a good one!

Bob369

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2005
never know a brand name power supply could never hurt, probably at least a 400W one

My PC:
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
Corsair 2x512 PC3200 DDR Dual-Channel Platnium Edition<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bob369 on 07/28/05 06:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>