BIOS and software dont match temps

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Man am i spamming here but this mobo is a pita

The DFI lanparty ut nf4, My Bios reads the CPU temp at 38C but in windows, various software like smartguard and Smart-soeed read the CPU temp at 31-33C. By chipset temps seem to be synced but this CPU thing is odd. Is this normal?

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Actually, I think it is normal. My mobo's BIOS (it's a Socket A one though) shows 2 CPU temps - the CPU diode and the mobo's CPU sensor. They're about 6-7c different regardless of what I'm doing - idle or full load. All the software (Soyo's monitor, MBM5, etc.) is in lockstep with the mobo's sensor (the lower temp).

But, that's just my experience...

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well your right on one thing, socket A mobos have socket and Diode sensors but Im not certain with the NF4 mobos. All the software Ive tried would register the CPU temp much lower than BIOS. I have tried using the modded MBM5 and still only pulls the same temp, changing sensor results in BSOD.

It is possible the software app hase somehow tapping the socket sensor instead of diode sensor but I cannot tell yet. Trying to investigate this. I have e-mail DFI on this and hopefully they'll give me a good answer which I'll share with every one.

Just right now Im assuming a 10c higher temp than the software app are telling me which is still only 40-45c at a worse case scenario.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>